The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Do King's freshers know their families already? I have absolutely no idea on mine...

oh wow, kinda assumed it was similar with other college. yea we got a letter from our parents with the freshers info about a week or so ago, although my parents didnt give me names or subjects but Zacken's had a picture of them dancing on their 'wedding day' xD
Original post by EnglishMuon
oh wow, kinda assumed it was similar with other college. yea we got a letter from our parents with the freshers info about a week or so ago, although my parents didnt give me names or subjects but Zacken's had a picture of them dancing on their 'wedding day' xD

wait...don't freshers get married too??
Eep need to plan my wedding
Not sure my parents will agree with my choice of spouse though :lol:

hahaha wait what have i missed xD I thought u only got married in 2nd year

Well our parents are about to start their second years, so they have to get married at the end of first year. :tongue:

Get preparing :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Well our parents are about to start their second years, so they have to get married at the end of first year. :tongue:

ah ok. so i suppose thats what Easter term is for (apart from those exam things).
Original post by alow
I mainly know physics people though, and I'd think Phys NatScis are more likely to do more A Levels because of further maths so have more A*s.

I wonder if I'm unusual since I have an A* in Biology and an A in Physics for Phys Natsci 😂 I've been finding it increasingly difficult to put A-Levels behind me lol
Reply 887
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I wonder if I'm unusual since I have an A* in Biology and an A in Physics for Phys Natsci 😂 I've been finding it increasingly difficult to put A-Levels behind me lol

Definitely unusual :tongue:

A Level physics isn't anything like what you'll do at Cambridge though. Think more like the maths M modules on crack.

I do know a physicist who didn't get an A* in GCSE physics though, that's definitely weirder.

No, you only get married when you become a parent.
Of course one of them has to propose first and the other accepts it for the to happen.
They all have wedding and dinner together to celebrate.
So you can get married at the end of your first year to become parents in the second for new freshers.

You're allowed to get divorced, in case you're worried. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Get preparing :lol:

i will do! lol that actually counts for just as much as my exams next year
Original post by alow
Definitely unusual :tongue:

A Level physics isn't anything like what you'll do at Cambridge though. Think more like the maths M modules on crack.

I do know a physicist who didn't get an A* in GCSE physics though, that's definitely weirder.

That's a relief - loved the mechanics modules way more than all the written malarkey in A-Level Physics 😂 Grateful I got much higher UMS at AS since I doubt they would have accepted me in the first place!

That is strange XD GCSE Physics was relatively boring from what I remember so it's understandable :P
Original post by vincrows
No, you only get married when you become a parent.
Of course one of them has to propose first and the other accepts it for the to happen.
They all have wedding and dinner together to celebrate.
So you can get married at the end of your first year to become parents in the second for new freshers.

You're allowed to get divorced, in case you're worried. :tongue:

Ah, do you? I'm looking at Newnham's section on the CUSU alternative prospectus and it says they all got married on the 1st of March (which is nearing the end I guess :lol: )
Ah, do you? I'm looking at Newnham's section on the CUSU alternative prospectus and it says they all got married on the 1st of March (which is nearing the end I guess :lol: )

actually how does that work in the Newnham case? Do all freshers have 2 mums?
Ah, do you? I'm looking at the Newnham alternative prospectus and it says they all got married on the 1st of March :tongue:

I don't know exact day they get married....:tongue:
But the point is, you only became a parent for the first time when you're in your second year for new freshers.
Until then, you're just a kid. :biggrin:

My daughter's parents were both boys. So she was born into a gay couple. :biggrin: (neither of them actually was, tho....)
Original post by vincrows
I don't know exact day they get married....:tongue:
But the point is, you only became a parent for the first time when you're in your second year for new freshers.
Until then, you're just a kid. :biggrin:

My daughter's parents were both boys. So she was born into a gay couple. :biggrin: (neither of them actually was, tho....)

Do they marry their sisters.
Weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
actually how does that work in the Newnham case? Do all freshers have 2 mums?

Basically yeah, we're all adopted by lesbian couples
Original post by physicsmaths
Do they marry their sisters.
Weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do not marry your sibling.....or at least not in the first year when you're kid.
But yes, you can propose your sister and get married to become parents in second/third year.

It does sound quite unhealthy, doesn't it, come to think about it........:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
So... apparently my Director of Studies is someone from a completely different subject according to my letter... do I take that as a mistake?
Reply 898
why are the terms for cambridge so much longer than other unis? They're around the same as for secondary school. I thought they were meant to be shorter?
Original post by 12284
why are the terms for cambridge so much longer than other unis? They're around the same as for secondary school. I thought they were meant to be shorter?

9 weeks per term whereas at school it's an average of 13. Other than in the summer you will be back home before and going away after most of your friends, I almost guarantee.

Quick Reply