The Student Room Group

Is Oxbridge for medicine even worth a shot? Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If there is no reason why not to apply then why not? How many unis can you apply for? Is it still 5 choices for medicine? If so you might as well.
Original post by .....Jeff458
Mine is 28th September, was away the whole Summer :frown:

THE 5TH!?!?!? OHHHHHHHHHH MY GOOODNESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

What are you using to revise and what do you average? Because i use the 1000 book and haven't managed 600 yet :'(

Oh lucky! My parents went on a romantic holiday without me so I had more time to revise (!) :s-smilie: IKRRRRR damn it's so close. I used the 1000Q book at the start but it's so hard QR I gave up with it. I then got medify for a bit which I used and am now doing the official mocks. My highest average has been 760 and my lowest 650 (today on official mock A, quantitative is HELLLL on it, got 470 dragged down that average SOS although everyone says it is ridiculous and so much easier in the real exam). On average though been getting like 710.

You need to get medify omg once you start using that and put down that book which is literally the devils work you will do so much better trust :smile:
Original post by JoeyTr
If there is no reason why not to apply then why not? How many unis can you apply for? Is it still 5 choices for medicine? If so you might as well.

It is four, and yeah idk I was worried it would be a waste but maybe not :smile:
Your grades are more than good enough! Come to Cambridge, the course is fantastic except for the 2nd year.
Original post by mrhedgehog
Your grades are more than good enough! Come to Cambridge, the course is fantastic except for the 2nd year.

Thanks for the positivity :biggrin: you a current student? It that hard? That's good!
Original post by isabella1999
Thanks for the positivity :biggrin: you a current student? It that hard? That's good!

Yes I just finished my second year but have to retake Neuro. It's not that it's hard, it's the volume of information that you need to take in. Also for the first 3 years we are studying for 2 degrees, tripos and 2nd MB so essays are involved. :frown:
Yes I just finished my second year but have to retake Neuro. It's not that it's hard, it's the volume of information that you need to take in. Also for the first 3 years we are studying for 2 degrees, tripos and 2nd MB so essays are involved. :frown:

Ah okay that is alright then :tongue: I am okay with essays, hopefully that bit is alright aha. I hope you don't mind me asking but what were your stats? Curious :wink:
I think you stand a reasonable shout at Cambridge with those predicted grades and a 90 ums subject. It may not be high 90s but it will definitely get you in a good position to get in if you ace the interview(s). I applied last year so I'm not familiar with the new Linear A levels so I can't really tell what Oxbridge thinks in relation to those unfortunately

As for BMAT, oxford place more emphasis on it than Cambridge IMO. Like I got a pretty average BMAT (4.9; 5.2; 2A) but I did still end up scraping an interview and offer for Cambridge but someone else in my year with the same grades and a similar BMAT score did not get an interview for Oxford. Such a tough process aha

Anyway. I hope I've been of help, and I wish you the best of luck when you apply :smile:
Ah okay that is alright then :tongue: I am okay with essays, hopefully that bit is alright aha. I hope you don't mind me asking but what were your stats? Curious :wink:

My GCSEs sucked, A levels were straight A*s but I had to make it up with a good BMAT, UKCAT and interview knowledge. I don't know about Oxford but the interviews at Cambridge are practically 80% academic related.
Original post by .....Jeff458
Just so you know, Oxford interview about 30% of all applicants and Cambridge interview around 90% of all applicants. Oxford offers ALOT less places too. Be aware of this, they place a HUGE emphasis on academics at Oxford. Cambridge CAN let you off but you need a good interview.

Best grades possible = Oxford
Extra's and good interview = Cambridge

THIS

At end of the day if you are intelligent, confident and articulate you may well find you chances better with cambridge than many other unis.
I was rejected from everywhere but cambridge - Nottingham and Edinburgh didn't even care to interview me.
Looking back though and knowing myself much better now I would bet my PS was pretty dire...
Reply 30
Just be aware that at an Oxbridge applicants event I went to back in May, two tutors there who took the general admissions talk said they only cared about sub-curricular activities- they only wanted to hear about things related to the degree.

You have so much work exp and volunteering experiences to speak about and excellent grades so I'd say 100% apply, you've got everything! Ace the BMAT/UKCAT and I reckon you've got a good chance at Cambridge (Ox are much pickier so my college doesn't recommend applying for Ox)

Would you regret it if you didn't apply? I know I would so I'm applying for Oxford Biological Sciences, even though my grades aren't nearly as good as yours (I do have an ace PS though:tongue:)
Is it worth me applying to Oxford medicine then? :/
Hello! I really need some advice. For a long time it has been a dream to study medicine at either Oxford or Cambridge, because of the whole atmosphere, location and traditional style courses.

However, I just don't know with my grades if I have a decent shot at eother of them. I got 5A's at AS and on track to be predicted 4A*'s at A2 so hopefully that will not be an issue. I only got 10A*s and 3A's however so for Oxford, my proportion of A* GCSEs isn't as high as it could be, which is why I am worried my application will not even be looked at whatsoever because of this :frown: And with Cambridge, I only got UMS with one subject at AS and my average was only 90 (maths) and everyone on here is saying you need 95+ or don't bother :frown:

I just don't know if it's worth applying but I just cannot seem to let the dream go. It's just sad as I have worked so hard and got good grades but I just don't think are good enough :frown: any advice?

Hmm, it's worth a shot. I think Cambridge is the less risky choice since Oxford use BMAT in a very mechanistic way with A* attainment at GCSE. Therefore, if you cock up the BMAT a bit, chances of getting into Oxford dwindle, where as Cambridge seem to be more holistic on it. Also, I think Cambridge interview 80-90% of applicants, so that may be another factor to consider.
My GCSEs sucked, A levels were straight A*s but I had to make it up with a good BMAT, UKCAT and interview knowledge. I don't know about Oxford but the interviews at Cambridge are practically 80% academic related.

Ah that's great that you managed it though! I think it's the same, and would you get asked stuff outside A level knowledge (so do I have to read anatomy books etc) or is it A level but just applied? :redface:
Original post by Akalanka25
I think you stand a reasonable shout at Cambridge with those predicted grades and a 90 ums subject. It may not be high 90s but it will definitely get you in a good position to get in if you ace the interview(s). I applied last year so I'm not familiar with the new Linear A levels so I can't really tell what Oxbridge thinks in relation to those unfortunately

As for BMAT, oxford place more emphasis on it than Cambridge IMO. Like I got a pretty average BMAT (4.9; 5.2; 2A) but I did still end up scraping an interview and offer for Cambridge but someone else in my year with the same grades and a similar BMAT score did not get an interview for Oxford. Such a tough process aha

Anyway. I hope I've been of help, and I wish you the best of luck when you apply :smile:

Aw okay that's good then! Guess will just hopefully have to ace the interview if I get one! I emailed admissions they said they are not even looking at raw marks for Linear A levels only the grades so hopefully my 4 As will be good in that respect but it's a shame as I got 69/73 on one of my chemistry papers and the grade for an A was like 50 so would have probably been 100 UMS :frown: oh wow that's good about the BMAT! Though I will probably need to do better due to the 90 but hopefully the revision I'm planning pays aha. That's crazy! And thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Jamie
THIS

At end of the day if you are intelligent, confident and articulate you may well find you chances better with cambridge than many other unis.
I was rejected from everywhere but cambridge - Nottingham and Edinburgh didn't even care to interview me.
Looking back though and knowing myself much better now I would bet my PS was pretty dire...

Wait really? I am considering applying to those two unis too oops! :tongue: The thing with personal statement is that apparently my teachers say mine is good but i just don't believe it it doesn't seem that great haha
Original post by AfcFob
Just be aware that at an Oxbridge applicants event I went to back in May, two tutors there who took the general admissions talk said they only cared about sub-curricular activities- they only wanted to hear about things related to the degree.

You have so much work exp and volunteering experiences to speak about and excellent grades so I'd say 100% apply, you've got everything! Ace the BMAT/UKCAT and I reckon you've got a good chance at Cambridge (Ox are much pickier so my college doesn't recommend applying for Ox)

Would you regret it if you didn't apply? I know I would so I'm applying for Oxford Biological Sciences, even though my grades aren't nearly as good as yours (I do have an ace PS though:tongue:)

Ah okay, will have to fit in the medical podcasts and extra reading in more then to show that :smile: I will try, hopefully all goes well! Thanks for the confidence aha I needed it honestly. I would DEFINITELY regret it, guess that's it then aha I will regret it all my life so I have to at least try. I don't know what my PS is like I keep doubting it aha. Good luck!
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Hmm, it's worth a shot. I think Cambridge is the less risky choice since Oxford use BMAT in a very mechanistic way with A* attainment at GCSE. Therefore, if you cock up the BMAT a bit, chances of getting into Oxford dwindle, where as Cambridge seem to be more holistic on it. Also, I think Cambridge interview 80-90% of applicants, so that may be another factor to consider.

Okay, thanks! :h:
Reply 38
Ah okay, will have to fit in the medical podcasts and extra reading in more then to show that :smile: I will try, hopefully all goes well! Thanks for the confidence aha I needed it honestly. I would DEFINITELY regret it, guess that's it then aha I will regret it all my life so I have to at least try. I don't know what my PS is like I keep doubting it aha. Good luck!

Defo try, I regret not going for head girl and not doing chem so I'm fed up of not doing things so I'm applying for the hell of it- I just want an interview!
As someone has already mentioned:

People here seem to have been told that Oxford only care about your academics, and have assumed the converse is therefore true for Cambridge. It is not. Both Oxford and Cambridge are known for their emphasis on academics over extracurricular activities, so please do not base your choice on this information.

In 2015, Cambridge made 284 offers for medicine and accepted 265.

Quick Reply