The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Second year in halls??? (Henry Price)

Hi everyone,

So I'm going into my second year when uni kicks off later this September, and will be living in Halls at Henry Price. My question is what would you think having a second year sharing a flat with you? Would you think them slightly odd/strange for not going into a house share with friends?

Hoping someone can reply and reassure me, as its stressing me out currently that people will automatically think I'm a friendless weirdo...
Hi,

I'm a first year going to live in Halls, and no, I definitely would not think you're a weirdo if you shared my flat.

a) I'm pretty sure there are many non-first year students in halls anyway. Some halls are for post-graduates even, and some students will be older than others, so you'll have a wide variety of people living there and it won't be the case of "all year ones and me".
b) Even you end up being Will Smith in I Am Legend, your hallmates wouldn't know what year you're in. Unless you share that information with them, and even then, they probably wouldn't care.
c) Like I said, it doesn't really matter what year you're in. And as a year 2, you do have familiarity with the school system, and that can actually be a good thing, because I'd definitely ask you for help if I need it.

Be yourself, and be friendly. It'll all work out.

Cheers.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by particlephysics8
Hi everyone,

So I'm going into my second year when uni kicks off later this September, and will be living in Halls at Henry Price. My question is what would you think having a second year sharing a flat with you? Would you think them slightly odd/strange for not going into a house share with friends?

Hoping someone can reply and reassure me, as its stressing me out currently that people will automatically think I'm a friendless weirdo...

I know tonnes of second years staying in halls. I was going to, but was lucky to find a two bed house with a friend. But loads of my friends are international students, and they are LOADED so most are living in super posh studio flats alone this year, which left me in the situation of 'oh no big student house I guess!'

tbh with the stress and stuff I wished I had stayed in halls...but I just couldn't deal with living with strangers again and never being able to sleep because of parties. And I'm only paying £89 a week now with bills, which is sooooo much better than last year.

It worked out that there were only 2 of us who were 18/19 in my flat last year. Most of them had taken a gap year/switched course/were exchange students.

They'll also probably put you with other second years if they can, seeing as second year actually counts and first years still have all that freedom of doing nothing for a year

Quick Reply

Latest