The Student Room Group

I find it ridiculous when people talk down on religion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I am Kira
Mocking someones religion is not going to stop religion
Tbh what would stop religion

What will stop religion will be development in economy and education. The more developed a country is, the less religious it is. Soon most religions will consist of a collection of developing countries like the Philippines. Countries like Ireland have seen church attendance, praying and belief in God fall massively during it's transformation to a developed economy.
Reply 21
Original post by mcneill98
What will stop religion will be development in economy and education. The more developed a country is, the less religious it is. Soon most religions will consist of a collection of developing countries like the Philippines. Countries like Ireland have seen church attendance, praying and belief in God fall massively during it's transformation to a developed economy.

Ooh good answer!
To be honest, I have a little giggle at religion because I find a lot of it silly, but I don't mock people or imply that they're less intelligent because they're religious. For some people it's a source of immense comfort, and that could be why they cling to it. Prayer is meditation and other practices make them feel close to their god (s). Who am I to judge, really?

What puts me off about New Atheists is how condescending they are. I may be an Atheist but I'm not an anti-Theist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pinkberry_y
When will people realise that believe it or not religion gives some people hope and makes them happy. For me, religion doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's plain as day to see that it genuinely gives some people guidance, happiness and something to hold onto.
Why just why would anyone want to bash that just because it doesn't follow their belief system of everything must have empirical evidence.
Leave these people to get on with their lives and their religion if it makes them happy

We are trying to let them live their lives, but they won't let us live our lives without their religion.
People are entitled to believe what they want. Just because you don't believe in it won't stop people from being religious. Great thread OP.
Original post by !!mentor!!
We are trying to let them live their lives, but they won't let us live our lives without their religion.

Who's they?
Original post by a_bc
Religion makes me want to kill myself.

But oh, let me make sure I never express negatives views about religion because it makes other people happy.

That'd be great thank you :h:
Original post by a_bc

But oh, let me make sure I never express negatives views about religion because it makes other people happy.

We have freedom of speech you can express negative views about religion.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Who's they?

Militant religious people who, by using religion to justify prejiduce, ignorance and hate, make the lives harder of regular religious people just trying to get on with their lives (and ours).
Original post by a_bc

Talk about your negative views of religion all you want, but don't go up to a person who quite clearly is immersed in their religion and won't change their views for you or anyone else and start bish bash boshing their belief
Original post by a_bc
No, thank you, for I think you understand me.

At the end of the day, people will believe what they wish to believe, and it's nobody else's place to try to convince them otherwise. I'm sure you can understand that, no?:h:

PS, please don't kill yourself
Original post by a_bc
Sure, I'll continue to let religious people follow their beliefs without question and pass them on to their offspring. And, eventually, who knows (maybe God does?), the offspring may come to the conclusion of religion being false so they may end up wanting to kill themselves just like me. However we should remember that the religious people will remain happy. And that's all that matters.

Bashing the religion and saying how God doesn't exist won't help your mental health problems, it'll just make you more resentful and bitter about religion itself and how it was enforced on you by your parents. Take it as this, that is their views and this is your view. Two separate things, don't get yourself involved and maybe call a mental health hotline or visit a GP about your suicidal thoughts
Apart from the Dawkins-esque, fedora-tipping SJW type atheists who have nothing better to do, I haven't seen anyone mock religions IRL. That sort of stuff is mainly an online phenomenon.
Original post by a_bc
Sure, I'll continue to let religious people follow their beliefs without question and pass them on to their offspring. And, eventually, who knows (maybe God does?), the offspring may come to the conclusion of religion being false so they may end up wanting to kill themselves just like me. However we should remember that the religious people will remain happy. And that's all that matters.

I know, right. It's PC gone mad. I can't even go into my local corner shop and call the shop keeper a 'P@k1 b@st@rd' because I have to keep my views to myself.

Spoiler

I know, right. It's PC gone mad. I can't even go into my local corner shop and call the shop keeper a 'P@k1 b@st@rd' because I have to keep my views to myself.

Spoiler

People don't choose their nationality or race.

I have another bone to pick with religion. People are often 'born' a certain religion. Have you ever been to a communion or a confirmation ? They ask 12 year olds to renounce satan and always be religious... These people can't even make their own lunch. Reeks of near nazi-like indoctrination, if you want a fanatic believer, get em while they're young.
People don't choose their nationality or race.

I'm sure there's many an immigrant who disagrees. And check out 'Rachael Dolezal'. She chose her race.

They ask 12 year olds to renounce satan and always be religious.

Doesn't sound too bad. Don't follow evil. Seems fine to me.
I'm sure there's many an immigrant who disagrees. And check out 'Rachael Dolezal'. She chose her race.

Doesn't sound too bad. Don't follow evil. Seems fine to me.

She lied about her race. If I think I'm an attack helicopter it doesn't make me an attack helo. Nationality can be changed, race cannot. Another case of PC gone extreme.

What is evil ? Even if you agree, you aren't just being told that, you're being told that if you don't do as you're told by the religion you will burn for eternity. At age 12.
And when you have your own children, you must swear to raise them in the faith.

A cycle of indoctrination, that fortunately will soon end.
She lied about her race. If I think I'm an attack helicopter it doesn't make me an attack helo. Nationality can be changed, race cannot. Another case of PC gone extreme.

My point about that was there are SJWs out there who claim you can absolutely change your race if you identify with another race (in the same way that they believe you are a woman if you identify as a woman. They hold that belief as strongly as you hold your belief.

What is evil ? Even if you agree, you aren't just being told that, you're being told that if you don't do as you're told by the religion you will burn for eternity. At age 12.
And when you have your own children, you must swear to raise them in the faith.

A cycle of indoctrination, that fortunately will soon end.

I've never seen any of my religious friends undertake this kind of child raising. I've only ever seen this on TV. So my assumption is that indoctrination isn't wide spread.
Original post by I am Kira
This is coming from an atheists perspective:
I absoultely disagree with other atheist who mock religious people just because they don't agree with them. No I'm not a fan of religion myself but I don't mock those who choose to follow it.
I've heard things like "religion is like fairy tales" and "If I don't believe in santa, why would I believe in god"
These are incredibly ignorant and biased. I know there's alot of us vs them mentality between atheist and theists but I do not agree with any religion basher.

I appreciate this post so much. Thank you.
Original post by James David
i too find it equally ridiculous when religions people try to force religion on people. I am religious but i think my faith isn't affected by yours

Omg me too, like I completely respect that they have their own religion with beliefs and values but why the hell do they feel the need to come up to you when your in town and try to force their religion on you.

Quick Reply

Latest