The Student Room Group

what are the chance we will go to war?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cbreef
I don't think so. And the reason I think that is that I just can't see a country having the obscene stupidity to launch ICBM's at anyone.

If Hitler existed in this day and age you think he wouldn't dare use nuclear weapons? Yeah i don't know about that.
Ur bf is just trying to scare u so you will ride him like its his last year. Brexit has sent chills through the world, they are cowering at our show of strength
Original post by cbreef
I don't think so. And the reason I think that is that I just can't see a country having the obscene stupidity to launch ICBM's at anyone.

If a NATO invasion of any of these countries took place it would be very likely. Not only would the entire economy be destroyed and millions would die, the political and cultural structure of the entire country would be destroyed.
Can you honestly say that if a well armed huge army from Russia or China landed on American, or European or British shores that a nuke wouldn't be used at least as a threat ? Who will be stubborn enough to try and call the bluff about a nuke strike ?
Original post by Zeus007
If Hitler existed in this day and age you think he wouldn't dare use nuclear weapons? Yeah i don't know about that.

Funny story actually... hitler had planned to nerve agents against the allies during WWII but was Informed that the allies has probably developed weapons of our own. So he decided AGAINST using them out of fear of retaliation. So yeah take what you want from that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Ur bf is just trying to scare u so you will ride him like its his last year. Brexit has sent chills through the world, they are cowering at our show of strength

show of strength ?
Is that why the French and Germans want you out of the EU soon as possible ? Is that why Obama has said that the EU will get preferential treatment over the UK ?
Our is it the fact that, according to your very own national bank, you just voted for a recession and isolation ?

I'm sure the whole world is just shaking with fear.
Original post by mcneill98
If a NATO invasion of any of these countries took place it would be very likely. Not only would the entire economy be destroyed and millions would die, the political and cultural structure of the entire country would be destroyed.
Can you honestly say that if a well armed huge army from Russia or China landed on American, or European or British shores that a nuke wouldn't be used at least as a threat ? Who will be stubborn enough to try and call the bluff about a nuke strike ?

Mutually Assured Destruction that's why.
Reply 46
Original post by Zeus007

Hitler only would in the same circumstances the USA did: knowing that no-one else has one to hit back. That's why there was such a race in WW2 to be the first to have one. As soon as your enemy has one as well they're largely useless.
Reply 47
Russia has 1,700 nuclear warheads on ICBMs fast enough to penetrate any missile defense. Please think before you write.

It's not a case of being fast enough to penetrate missile defences, merely a numbers game. The things is though NATO has the potential to destroy Russia in a similar way. I guess you could argue that if we were both destroyed, we had the better country to begin with so they won because they lost less, but I think that would be a stretch.
Original post by Dheorl
It's not a case of being fast enough to penetrate missile defences, merely a numbers game. The things is though NATO has the potential to destroy Russia in a similar way. I guess you could argue that if we were both destroyed, we had the better country to begin with so they won because they lost less, but I think that would be a stretch.

Mutually Assured Destruction yes but one could argue that the west has much more to lose, like this guy said.
Either way who is going to gamble with hundreds of millions of lives. War at the end of the day is political and economic, it has nothing to do with morals or democracy. If you think that either side will attack each other you're sorely mistaken.
Reply 49
war between 2 countries powerful enough to obliterate the entire world ? Yep that seems really likely.

alright calm down

Original post by candyaljamila
A bit out of topic but the data that your boyfriend passed on to you is meant to be confidential I believe. He shouldn't be telling anyone outside his workplace let alone publish it on a public forum!

well not really as its people opinions and everyone knows the army are always prepping for war...it is their job...

Original post by Seamus123
Yes, the posting is for three years. So he has two more years ago and then he's done. His wife is in the same regiment. They are there to move UK troops out of Germany over the 3 year period.
He has had enough now. Been in the Army 16 years. Done 2 tours of Afghanistan and was in at the beginning of the Iraq war.

ouch! poor guy. when is he signing off?
When he's finished his posting in Germany - around 2019-2020 hopefully.
Reply 51
Original post by Seamus123
When he's finished his posting in Germany - around 2019-2020 hopefully.

bless him, if the troops are coming home, my friend will get her bf back lol
Reply 52
@candyaljamila plus if there was something he couldnt tell me, his always told me he cant tell me.
You do realise that your boyfriend is lying to you to try to impress you?

Oh, and he is very likely frequenting places like 'Partytreff' often? All the soldier do, married or single.
Reply 54
Original post by !!mentor!!
You do realise that your boyfriend is lying to you to try to impress you?

Oh, and he is very likely frequenting places like 'Partytreff' often? All the soldier do, married or single.

he landed earlier today and went straight (more or less) into a brief so i doubt it but thanks anyway
and why would the potential of going to war impress me?
Original post by shawtyb
he landed earlier today and went straight (more or less) into a brief so i doubt it but thanks anyway
and why would the potential of going to war impress me?

Because you feel scared. You feel like his situation is dangerous / exciting than it is and he likes giving you that impression. You always get people like that.
You know, some people will claim, "I'm with the CIA but shhhh, keep it on the down low". They want to impress.
Hell there are some squaddies who'll claim to be special forces to seem more dangerous / exciting.
We are no where near close to war. Russia buzzes our air space, we buzz theirs. They conduct exercises near our border, we conduct exercises near theirs.
I'm sorry to say it but your boyfriend is lying to big up his job to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by !!mentor!!
Because you feel scared. You feel like his situation is dangerous / exciting than it is and he likes giving you that impression. You always get people like that.
You know, some people will claim, "I'm with the CIA but shhhh, keep it on the down low". They want to impress.
Hell there are some squaddies who'll claim to be special forces to seem more dangerous / exciting.
We are no where near close to war. Russia buzzes our air space, we buzz theirs. They conduct exercises near our border, we conduct exercises near theirs.
I'm sorry to say it but your boyfriend is lying to big up his job to you.

his telling me what other people think as well, so no i doubt his lying to big up his job. i know his role and what he does etc,his never tried to big up anything about his life and has always been forthcoming when giving information that would be deemed as the opposite and has always been more then happy to talk about where his falling short so no his not, sorry

and trying to stir **** by saying his visiting that place, whats that got to do with the thread at hand? nothing, nothing at all so why even bring that up?
Original post by shawtyb

well not really as its people opinions and everyone knows the army are always prepping for war...it is their job...
?

Look at what I highlighted in bold in your quote in my previous post. I was talking about "the under 10 min" piece of information. That's definitely confidential!
Reply 58
Look at what I highlighted in bold in your quote in my previous post. I was talking about "the under 10 min" piece of information. That's definitely confidential!

oh i didnt notice the bold. its a bit of statistical information, most of which you can find if you look hard enough. dont sweat it
Reply 59

plus that could have the specific exercise, others may vary, i dont know. i dont even know how often they do those ones so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending