The Student Room Group

First time going to a party and drinking, help?

I know it's sad but next week will be legit the first time I'm going to a big party. I've never gone to a party before, what do you actually do? And this probably will be my first time drinking alcohol as well, any vital tips? Will I have to dance? :/

How do I not be socially awkward?

Scroll to see replies

???? if you're asking how to have fun you're already setting yourself up for a bad night mate

First seek out recognisable faces
Best thing is to show up with mates..

Know that you've been invited so there's something you did right and the host likes you...so don't worry. Unless you're not invited lol or the host is kinda willy nilly and gonna let anyone in to have a full house (that's how people end up date raped and things smuggled/stolen/broken but anyway)

It's basically like lunch time at school just with loud music and drink. :yy: What would you do at lunch? You'd chill with ur mates and eat/drink and do whatever. You don't have to do anything you don't wanna but if you like a song why not dance? lool. If you don't like it, why dance? Yano?

Also many drinkers even the **** faced ones are social drinkers not really experienced with drinkin. Drink what you want, dont drink if you dont wanna. If people make you chug they probably think you're a target (class clown or shy so asking to be put on the spot) so dunno how to get you out of that one just dont go like "Im tee total" cuz then someone WILL try to get you drunk to "loosen you up."

Tldr: Bring a working fone, a smile, a mate, money, you're sorted :yy:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Enjoy yourself, don't be pressured into doing things you don't want to and just go around talking to people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UWS
Enjoy yourself, don't be pressured into doing things you don't want to and just go around talking to people.

Say what?

you really wanna know? :colone:
Sensible suggestions please…. :tongue:

My one contribution. Don't get absolutely hammered. Because I promise you'll regret it. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by 0to100
you really wanna know? :colone:

Is it a roadman party in Hackney?
Reply 6
Original post by 0to100
???? if you're asking how to have fun you're already setting yourself up for a bad night mate

First seek out recognisable faces
Best thing is to show up with mates..

Know that you've been invited so there's something you did right and the host likes you...so don't worry. Unless you're not invited lol or the host is kinda willy nilly and gonna let anyone in to have a full house (that's how people end up date raped and things smuggled/stolen/broken but anyway)

It's basically like lunch time at school just with loud music and drink. :yy: What would you do at lunch? You'd chill with ur mates and eat/drink and do whatever. You don't have to do anything you don't wanna but if you like a song why not dance? lool. If you don't like it, why dance? Yano?

Also many drinkers even the **** faced ones are social drinkers not really experienced with drinkin. Drink what you want, dont drink if you dont wanna. If people make you chug they probably think you're a target (class clown or shy so asking to be put on the spot) so dunno how to get you out of that one just dont go like "Im tee total" cuz then someone WILL try to get you drunk to "loosen you up."

Tldr: Bring a working fone, a smile, a mate, money, you're sorted :yy:

Thanks for the tips. I'm going with a few of my friends but they already drink and have experience going to parties, so I'm just nervous being the 'baby' I guess.
Original post by iEthan
Sensible suggestions please…. :tongue:

My one contribution. Don't get absolutely hammered. Because I promise you'll regret it. :tongue:

get the hell out my post editing it ethan :rofl:
it was sensible!? :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:
Just be confident in yourself, and no you do not have to dance. If you do not feel comfortable dancing and someone is trying to force you to dance, tell them to P*ss off, people who force you to dance are the worst. Have a good time :smile:
Original post by UWS
Is it a roadman party in Hackney?

not out in hackney but strange things happen at night, gotta stay tooled and protected :colone:
Original post by 0to100
get the hell out my post editing it ethan :rofl:
it was sensible!? :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

Now, now… Mr 0to100. :tongue: There are certain rules about things. Sorry :tongue:
Eat a lot before hand and stay away from spirits.

And don't mix the drink with drugs.
Reply 12
Original post by JamesN88
Eat a lot before hand and stay away from spirits.

And don't mix the drink with drugs.

My friend told me to do this as well, can I ask why? Isn't there a possibility that I'll drink so much that I'll SHlT myself uncontrollably?
I found this on Google.

Don't go out drinking alone. Go out with your friends and watch out for one another - perhaps appoint a drinks watcher. Never leave your drinks unattended. It's safer to not accept a drink from someone you don't know.

Consider sticking to bottled drinks and avoiding punch bowls or jugs of cocktails

Don't give out your address to someone you've just met

If you think your drink has been tampered with, don't drink it - tell a trusted friend or relative immediately

Before going out, let someone know where you're going and what time you expect to be home

Make plans for your journey home, if possible at the beginning of your evening.

Avoid taking expensive equipment with you or anything that could be a target for thieves

When in bars or clubs, get your drink directly from the bartender. Keep your eyes on your order. If you set it down to go to the dance floor, be wary of going back to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by grassntai
My friend told me to do this as well, can I ask why? Isn't there a possibility that I'll drink so much that I'll **** myself uncontrollably?

Lol, no you won't **** yourself.

Food soaks up the alcohol. Drinking on an empty stomach is a cheap way to get wasted but NOT recommended, especially for someone who hasn't drunk before as you'll end up puking everywhere.
I know it's sad but next week will be legit the first time I'm going to a big party. I've never gone to a party before, what do you actually do? And this probably will be my first time drinking alcohol as well, any vital tips? Will I have to dance? :/

Talk to lots of people, whether that be friends or new people that you wanna get to know. If you show up with friends it makes it 100x less awkward. Have a good meal before the party so that the alcohol won't affect you as much and drink lots of water at the party if you begin to feel sick or light headed. Seeing as this is your first party I wouldn't advice you to drink with the aim of getting smashed.
at some house parties no one dances and everyone just moves around and talks to eachother whereas at other house parties people will dance, though this is usually after a few drinks where people are at tipsy stage
Just enjoy it like there's no tomorrow. Dance like no ones watching. Have conversations with people confidently and arrogantly as if you were the new James Bond.

Just think that you are the coolest person at the party and you will soon be acting like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just don't do what I do and go ape... I have... gawd 12 year experience of making a fool of myself at house parties..... god I gotta slow down :lol:

Also don't steal or break stuff, especially at house parties during your school/6thform/college years people do that all the time. By uni it calms down slightly in that regard... unless your house is constantly the SU afterparty house :colonhash:

See if there are any spliffs being passed around, and...

Spoiler

No pressure, really. I had my first proper party + alcohol about a year ago, and all we did was sit and talk for the most part. Just do what you're comfortable with and make conversation.

My first night I jumped into a bush. I'd jump into bushes anyway. Woo what a rebel...

Latest