The Student Room Group

I find it ridiculous when people talk down on religion

This is coming from an atheists perspective:
I absoultely disagree with other atheist who mock religious people just because they don't agree with them. No I'm not a fan of religion myself but I don't mock those who choose to follow it.
I've heard things like "religion is like fairy tales" and "If I don't believe in santa, why would I believe in god"
These are incredibly ignorant and biased. I know there's alot of us vs them mentality between atheist and theists but I do not agree with any religion basher.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by I am Kira

I've heard things like "religion is like fairy tales" and "If I don't believe in santa, why would I believe in god"
These are incredibly ignorant and biased. I know there's alot of us vs them mentality between atheist and theists but I do not agree with any religion basher.

How/why is it "ignorant" to compare a religion to a fairy tale?
i too find it equally ridiculous when religions people try to force religion on people. I am religious but i think my faith isn't affected by yours
Reply 3
Original post by James David
i too find it equally ridiculous when religions people try to force religion on people. I am religious but i think my faith isn't affected by yours

That's completely different and a massive generalisation
Just because we hate those people doesn't mean we should become like them and force atheism down people's throats
To be fair those militant religious zealots bring it upon themselves.
Reply 5
Original post by lawyer3c
How/why is it "ignorant" to compare a religion to a fairy tale?

Because its actively mocking someones beliefs just to make a point
Agreed.
A lot of religious people(or the wackos at least) don't grasp what proof means. Just because some random dude wrote it in a book doesn't prove anything.

However I respect the right of people to believe in whatever they choose to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

How/why is mocking someone's belief "ignorant"?
The world would be such a better place without religion.

Some of their beliefs bring ridicule upon itself. Such as 'I don't understand something, therefore, the answer is God.'

For example 'I don't understand abiogenis, therefore it was God'.
Reply 11
Original post by lawyer3c
How/why is mocking someone's belief "ignorant"?

Lol you got me, its not ignorant but rather unempathetic if thats the right word
Reply 12
Original post by SCIENCE :D
The world would be such a better place without religion.

Mocking someones religion is not going to stop religion
Tbh what would stop religion
Original post by Mathemagicien
Not any random dude, but usually* a mentally ill dude who believed God hath spoken unto him directly...

*Before any Muslims decide to behead me, obviously Mohammed is an exception to this.

Joking aside you would probably get sectioned for making similar claims today.
Reply 14
Original post by !!mentor!!
Some of their beliefs bring ridicule upon itself. Such as 'I don't understand something, therefore, the answer is God.'

For example 'I don't understand abiogenis, therefore it was God'.

fair point
This is coming from an atheists perspective:
I absoultely disagree with other atheist who mock religious people just because they don't agree with them. No I'm not a fan of religion myself but I don't mock those who choose to follow it.

Yes, agreed.
When will people realise that believe it or not religion gives some people hope and makes them happy. For me, religion doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's plain as day to see that it genuinely gives some people guidance, happiness and something to hold onto.
Why just why would anyone want to bash that just because it doesn't follow their belief system of everything must have empirical evidence.
Leave these people to get on with their lives and their religion if it makes them happy
Original post by Pinkberry_y
When will people realise that believe it or not religion gives some people hope and makes them happy. For me, religion doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's plain as day to see that it genuinely gives some people guidance, happiness and something to hold onto.
Why just why would anyone want to bash that just because it doesn't follow their belief system of everything must have empirical evidence.
Leave these people to get on with their lives and their religion if it makes them happy

Absolutely. Happiness is happiness, I really don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.
Mocking someones religion is not going to stop religion
Tbh what would stop religion

Common sense.
Reply 19
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Common sense.

Lol you know common sense isn't going to swarm the world

Quick Reply