The Student Room Group

What History course should I go for?

So, I've been accepted into two sixth forms, one of which's history course consists of:

Lancastrians, Yorkists and Tudors 1450–1509
The German Reformation 1517-1555
In Year 13, students will study TWO units:
Elizabeth I 1558-1603
Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964

and the other schools history course is:
In Year 12, students will study:
Unit 1
The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603- 1660 (Enquiry Topic: The Execution of Charles 1 and the Interregnum1646-1660)
Unit 2
Russia 1894-1941
In Year 13, students will study:
Unit 3
China and its Rulers 1839-19189
Unit 4 Topic-Based Essay

As I done Cold War, Nazi Germany, Race Relations and 1920s America for GCSE, I'm a bit worried that if I pick one of the history courses at a school I won't enjoy it as much as I would if it was leaning more to modern history (if that makes sense) Like the second history course I showed kind of has more aspects of history I'm used to because of the Russian and Chinese topics we'll be learning about whereas course number 1 barely has modern history and is focussed more on older history I'm not that accustomed too. I have no idea if I'm making sense but I need help choosing the school! A level history students, were you skeptical about doing the subject at A level because of that schools course topics too?

(wow this is really long, sorry)
Original post by dalalaachoui
So, I've been accepted into two sixth forms, one of which's history course consists of:

Lancastrians, Yorkists and Tudors 1450–1509
The German Reformation 1517-1555
In Year 13, students will study TWO units:
Elizabeth I 1558-1603
Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964

and the other schools history course is:
In Year 12, students will study:
Unit 1
The Early Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War 1603- 1660 (Enquiry Topic: The Execution of Charles 1 and the Interregnum1646-1660)
Unit 2
Russia 1894-1941
In Year 13, students will study:
Unit 3
China and its Rulers 1839-19189
Unit 4 Topic-Based Essay

As I done Cold War, Nazi Germany, Race Relations and 1920s America for GCSE, I'm a bit worried that if I pick one of the history courses at a school I won't enjoy it as much as I would if it was leaning more to modern history (if that makes sense) Like the second history course I showed kind of has more aspects of history I'm used to because of the Russian and Chinese topics we'll be learning about whereas course number 1 barely has modern history and is focussed more on older history I'm not that accustomed too. I have no idea if I'm making sense but I need help choosing the school! A level history students, were you skeptical about doing the subject at A level because of that schools course topics too?

(wow this is really long, sorry)

Well done for looking into this. I was so stupid and didn't take this into consideration, regret that so bad.

Anyways.

Did you enjoy the modules you studied during your GCSE? Didn't understand if you're worried about learning more about it or getting bored of it?

Imo it's always best to continue similar modules you studies for your GCSE, gives you a lift when you move from GCSE to AS Level.
Original post by undercxver
Well done for looking into this. I was so stupid and didn't take this into consideration, regret that so bad.

Anyways.

Did you enjoy the modules you studied during your GCSE? Didn't understand if you're worried about learning more about it or getting bored of it?

Imo it's always best to continue similar modules you studies for your GCSE, gives you a lift when you move from GCSE to AS Level.

I did enjoy the modules I studied at GCSE, yeah. I'm worried about learning other modules I'm not familiar with at a-level, what if I'm not good at them...?

Unfortunately, neither school don't entirely have the same modules as I studied in GCSE however one features two that I'm slightly accustomed with whilst the other has only one.
Reply 3
It all sounds so beautiful. :love:

Sorry, history nerd checking in. When I did A Level history I didn't get much of a choice. I stayed at my grammar school, and 3 of out of the 4 modules I did were Ireland (which suited me fine as I like Ireland).

Go for the one you think will work with your strengths and actual generally interest is all I can say.
You're so lucky I had mostly modern history xD

I have done russian history 1855-1920, and I loved it.

I would go for option one as I have no idea what German Reformation is and I would love to learn it, also the Russian Rulers is great I dont want to write any spoilers :wink:
Original post by Airmed
It all sounds so beautiful. :love:

Sorry, history nerd checking in. When I did A Level history I didn't get much of a choice. I stayed at my grammar school, and 3 of out of the 4 modules I did were Ireland (which suited me fine as I like Ireland).

Go for the one you think will work with your strengths and actual generally interest is all I can say.

I studied making of modern Britain and there was stuff about "Troubles in Northern Ireland" it was all so hard for me but thankfully didnt show up in my exam.
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
I studied making of modern Britain and there was stuff about "Troubles in Northern Ireland" it was all so hard for me but thankfully didnt show up in my exam.

I'm currently reading about the Troubles. I guess it is hard and difficult for students outside of NI. I find it so fascinating.
Reply 7
I'll just chip in with my two cents on this; prior to starting Year 12 I only enjoyed modern history and did not really have any interest in early modern stuff. I did Tsarist Russia and the US intervention in Vietnam at AS and then Triumph of Elizabeth along with coursework on Early Modern Ireland at A2. I honestly significantly enjoyed my A2 course more. It's difficult at fist but I really enjoyed it :smile:
Original post by Wawasan
I'll just chip in with my two cents on this; prior to starting Year 12 I only enjoyed modern history and did not really have any interest in early modern stuff. I did Tsarist Russia and the US intervention in Vietnam at AS and then Triumph of Elizabeth along with coursework on Early Modern Ireland at A2. I honestly significantly enjoyed my A2 course more. It's difficult at fist but I really enjoyed it :smile:

That's so reassuring to hear, thanks! Before starting your A level course were you also on the edge about doing it? Especially as you really enjoyed Modern History (like me) beforehand, was it a bit worrying knowing that you'd have to do topics outside of your "niche"?

sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just really worried about all this :/
Reply 9
That's so reassuring to hear, thanks! Before starting your A level course were you also on the edge about doing it? Especially as you really enjoyed Modern History (like me) beforehand, was it a bit worrying knowing that you'd have to do topics outside of your "niche"?

sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just really worried about all this :/

:smile: No worries. I was set on doing History in the first place but admittedly did not look too much into which modules each school/sxith form I was looking to join were doing. I was well aware that a British component was needed but did not know which one would suit my interests. In the end it was just the luck of the draw that I went to one with a decent Elizabethan unit. So yeah I had an idea that I'd enjoy 20th century history more but in the end it turned out that I enjoyed all of my units, including the previously less known early modern stuff.
Go to the second one, as you’re more used to modern history and may get a better grade.
I did enjoy the modules I studied at GCSE, yeah. I'm worried about learning other modules I'm not familiar with at a-level, what if I'm not good at them...?

Unfortunately, neither school don't entirely have the same modules as I studied in GCSE however one features two that I'm slightly accustomed with whilst the other has only one.

I think the most suitable for you is the second option. Also the second sixth form seems to have an easier course than the first. Don't just take TSR's word for it, make sure to speak to a teacher at that sixth form about the modules there and the depth you will go into, and generally more about the course.

Quick Reply

Latest