The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Thread XXV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timster32
Lacazette doesn't get into the French side because he doesn't fit the way that France play and his relationship with Deschamps isn't good At Arsenal, he would be the best option to have up front because he has pace and can finish unlike Giroud and Walcott/welbeck who have only one of those two attributes. I think Perez could be a cheaper/ similar type of player to Lacazette but EPerez hasn't been consistently good whereas Lacazette has.

Doesn't suit the way France play? You absolutely grabbed that out of your arse. A teams that rely on pace of griezmann to get on giroud's flicks? A team that just called up a similar older gramiero? Similarly the same team moving to integrating on attacking trio of martial, grizz and dembele. How doesn't lacazette fit into that?

Evidence that he has a bad relationship with Deschamps when he's barely played for him?

Lacazette finishing isn't proven. So he only has one known attribute. West Ham were desperate to pay over the odds for him. Even they pumped the brakes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SA-1
Erm, Ramsey?

Having two B2B CDMs in a team with Özil is practically suicide in the PL. One holding and one B2B works a lot better.

Xhaka's role will essentially be to play as Coq did but be able to spread play from deep. It's basically a marriage between Coq & Arteta's ability. It'll mean that unlike last season, Ramsey can actually play box to box and concentrate on his attack, rather than having to come so deep to spread the ball.

If Ramsey is given the freedom to make runs from deep, he'll have a season like he did in 13/14.

It'll also mean that against teams that will try and shut down Özil, Xhaka and Ramsey can both have a lot more freedom.

Xhaka is one of our best buys, we've missed a proper CDM for years. He's going to develop into a beast in the middle of the park.

I just don't trust Ramsey tbh, he's so inconsistent and his best position is cam as we saw in the euros where he will obviously not be playing in any time soon. Xhaka is good but I would prefer to see a Toure-esque type player who cannot dominate the midfield. The midfielders that we have are just too similar imo. And Coquelin isn't box to box? Look at the likes of city, Man U, Chelsea, Tottenham even, they all have a strong box to box player playing alongside a deep playmaker or just an anchorman type player.
Original post by SA-1
Erm, Ramsey?

Xhaka's role will essentially be to play as Coq did but be able to spread play from deep. It's basically a marriage between Coq & Arteta's ability. It'll mean that unlike last season, Ramsey can actually play box to box and concentrate on his attack, rather than having to come so deep to spread the ball.

If Ramsey is given the freedom to make runs from deep, he'll have a season like he did in 13/14.

It'll also mean that against teams that will try and shut down Özil, Xhaka and Ramsey can both have a lot more freedom.

Xhaka is one of our best buys, we've missed a proper CDM for years. He's going to develop into a beast in the middle of the park.

It's more than Xhaka has several qualities that makes him more well rounded than our previous midfielders. Tactically this is vital.

As for 4-4-2 , I am not opposed to it if we have the right players. Wenger liked to play with a 4-4-1-1 in his pomp.

I think given the variety of players we have, the formation we used for the invincibles is feasible.

Our back 4 and Goalkeeper today is solid enough to not require two rigid cdm to babysit.

I would choose something like this as a first team:

Back 4 and GK picks itself, nothing to really ponder there. (However, I think Gabriel still has a lot more to give, I think he is a very good player but his communication lets him down)

In Gilberto's position I would choose Elneny. He is not a Xhaka or Cazorla but he has sufficient skill to carry the ball forward and also his engine/physical defensive qualities are a great asset.

In Vieira's position i would choose Xhaka.

Left Wing : Alexis

Inside right Wing : Ramsey or Perez , Bellerin to provide the width and stretch the opposition defence.

CAM: Ozil (problem with Ozil is simple, he really excels at some things. However the reason why Bergkamp was a cut above is because his game was so much more well rounded and consistently so. He would go for a crazy amount of money in todays market)

Striker: Giroud or Perez. I think with Perez's addition and a Ramsey without too much defensive responsibility we can play to Giroud's style of play with France, i.e. being a foil for Griezmann and Payet.
Original post by atom y humber
Doesn't suit the way France play? You absolutely grabbed that out of your arse. A teams that rely on pace of griezmann to get on giroud's flicks? A team that just called up a similar older gramiero? Similarly the same team moving to integrating on attacking trio of martial, grizz and dembele. How doesn't lacazette fit into that?

Evidence that he has a bad relationship with Deschamps when he's barely played for him?

Lacazette finishing isn't proven. So he only has one known attribute. West Ham were desperate to pay over the odds for him. Even they pumped the brakes.

Lacazette has been called up to the French squad now anyway but how can you see his finishing isn't proven when he scored 21,27 and 15 in the last three seasons (league goals).

At the euros France played a 442 so it made sense to have geiezmann a quick striker and a target man playing next to him (giroud) so that giroud could flick it on for griezmann or the wide players who are insanely quick could whip balls in to the box. Lacazette isn't a winger and he's not going to start ahead of griezmann so what would his role be. That's the reason why he may have a bad relationship with Deschamps as he called up frickin Gignac to the euros and he is awful, just a smaller giroud basically.
I just don't trust Ramsey tbh, he's so inconsistent and his best position is cam as we saw in the euros where he will obviously not be playing in any time soon. Xhaka is good but I would prefer to see a Toure-esque type player who cannot dominate the midfield. The midfielders that we have are just too similar imo. And Coquelin isn't box to box? Look at the likes of city, Man U, Chelsea, Tottenham even, they all have a strong box to box player playing alongside a deep playmaker or just an anchorman type player.

If we play him inside right with freedom then I think it could work.
Original post by James.Carnell
If we play him inside right with freedom then I think it could work.

It could work but Wenger for whatever reason didn't give him freedom at right wing, so he's ineffective, I feel sorry for Ramsey though as he is really good at cam for wales anyway, but Ozil is just a class apart. I just can't stand oxlade/Walcott being on the wing...
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Xhaka and Ozil in a two man midfield, prime Darren Fletcher would have an absolute field day.

Not if the ox tucks in, or iwobi.
It could work but Wenger for whatever reason didn't give him freedom at right wing, so he's ineffective, I feel sorry for Ramsey though as he is really good at cam for wales anyway, but Ozil is just a class apart. I just can't stand oxlade/Walcott being on the wing...

The problem with those two is that they lack that extra bit of quality that the top players have. Ramsey can be a very effective player given the right tactical set up, but as an individual he'll never be at invincibles level. But you look at that invincibles lineup and we have like 4 truly world class players in the middle and front.

Vieira , Pires, Henry, Bergkamp. All 4 were supremely well rounded players that had everything. Technique, speed, strength, mental strength, intelligence, ability to finish with all of the attacking 3. It was not even tactics, more to do with the fact that they excelled in so many areas whereas our current players falter. Only one in our current I would debate is on par is Alexis at LW compared with Pires.

Ozil with more goals could be at Bergkamp's level, we will wait to see how his development goes there. I won't be placing any bets though. I think Wenger still sees him as his pet project.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James.Carnell
The problem with those two is that they lack that extra bit of quality that the top players have. Ramsey can be a very effective player given the right tactical set up, but as an individual he'll never be at invincibles level. But you look at that invincibles lineup and we have like 4 truly world class players in the middle and front.

Vieira , Pires, Henry, Bergkamp. All 4 were supremely well rounded players that had everything. Technique, speed, strength, mental strength, intelligence, ability to finish with all of the attacking 3. It was not even tactics, more to do with the fact that they excelled in so many areas whereas our current players falter. Only one in our current I would debate is on par is Alexis at LW compared with Pires.

Ozil with more goals could be at Bergkamp's level, we will wait to see how his development goes there. I won't be placing any bets though. I think Wenger still sees him as his pet project.

I don't think Ozil will be scoring as many goals, but at least it's clear to see that he's getting in better positions, I've been following him since Werder Bremen and I'd never seen him score a goal like the one he scored on Saturday although I could be proven wrong.

I also think that it's impossible to fit all our players into a tactical system that suits everybody, maybe Ramsey is just going to have to adapt because the freedom that he gets with Wales will not be given to him any time soon. He clearly doesn't enjoy being on the right?

Alexis is on par with pires but his form is dipping, so I'm looking forward to him being back on the wing, he is just getting a bit selfish though, and looks less mo5tivated, but maybe that's just fatigue.

I'm just worried about the left back spot, Monreal isn't good enough and Gibbs doesn't look like becoming good either?
I don't think Ozil will be scoring as many goals, but at least it's clear to see that he's getting in better positions, I've been following him since Werder Bremen and I'd never seen him score a goal like the one he scored on Saturday although I could be proven wrong.

I also think that it's impossible to fit all our players into a tactical system that suits everybody, maybe Ramsey is just going to have to adapt because the freedom that he gets with Wales will not be given to him any time soon. He clearly doesn't enjoy being on the right?

Alexis is on par with pires but his form is dipping, so I'm looking forward to him being back on the wing, he is just getting a bit selfish though, and looks less mo5tivated, but maybe that's just fatigue.

I'm just worried about the left back spot, Monreal isn't good enough and Gibbs doesn't look like becoming good either?

I think defensively both fullbacks are susceptible to blips against good players. Hence why I think Welbeck as a winger is not a bad idea... it worked well for United, he can be like our Park Ji Sung.
Reply 110
As much as I love Sanchez, he's not even close to being on par with Pires.
Lacazette has been called up to the French squad now anyway but how can you see his finishing isn't proven when he scored 21,27 and 15 in the last three seasons (league goals).

At the euros France played a 442 so it made sense to have geiezmann a quick striker and a target man playing next to him (giroud) so that giroud could flick it on for griezmann or the wide players who are insanely quick could whip balls in to the box. Lacazette isn't a winger and he's not going to start ahead of griezmann so what would his role be. That's the reason why he may have a bad relationship with Deschamps as he called up frickin Gignac to the euros and he is awful, just a smaller giroud basically.

Never said he was a winger but don't worry. His role could be back up to griezmann, alternative to girioud.......again let's move on.

If you're worth over 50m, Gignac doesn't get picked over you even if he has nudes of Deschamps. How about this Deschamps didn't pick him cos he ain't that good? Ain't more complicated than that. He's still not playing. Ill be surprised if he ever gets more than 30 caps for France. Too many talents coming through.

His finishing is susceptible because he barely scores enough from open play. 15 is most his achieved which is barely an improvement on giroud. Hence why his european record is nothing. It's PL he isn't going to be going against guigamp, lorient, toulose, Caen, nancies, Evian water........those are in league 1 or whatever nationalistic name they call that league.

Many players, applying context, have a better record than him went for penance compared to what their chairman wants. There's a reason Chelsea signed batman.

Montreal ain't good enough? The guy and kos just got us a clean sheet...........You're a FIFA pace whore aren't you.
(edited 7 years ago)
I must go in once again Mustafi, he is so so average for 35m

im not even joking, the arrogance of this guy got him to Arsenal

Arsene has only bought 1 top class CB in 15 years
(edited 7 years ago)
We are the mugs of the transfer market
We are the overweight American clutching a bud who arrives at the Empire 1/2

We need Arsenal Negotiating Jewish style back

David Dein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please come back, make us the smart yids!!!!!1
(edited 7 years ago)
and why on Earth has JW gone on loan??????????

no title then AW gets the chop
had enough of this nonsense
Reply 115
Jack Wilshere is a bum he only went to Bournemouth to be with his best friend Afobe. Scholes is right about that guy
Original post by al_94
Jack Wilshere is a bum he only went to Bournemouth to be with his best friend Afobe. Scholes is right about that guy

They've been lying to him Adrien!
We should be full of North London Jews

Who the **** does our negotiating? The Irish?
Original post by Zürich
We should be full of North London Jews

Who the **** does our negotiating? The Irish?

A man called "Dick"
Ray Parlour knocking pints back at 8am this morning, got subbed off after 6 minutes of the legends match.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest