The Student Room Group

Wouldn't it be sick if Betelgeuse explodes

It would be like BOOM CRASH but silent because it's in space

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;yqu3OCWx5tc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqu3OCWx5tc[/video]
Reply 2
@Betelgeuse- what do you have to say about this?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
[video="youtube;yqu3OCWx5tc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqu3OCWx5tc[/video]

This wasn't a cartoon thread
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
This wasn't a cartoon thread

I'm aware.
Reply 5
Given how far away it is, maybe it already has :iiam:
Original post by Aula
Given how far away it is, maybe it already has :iiam:

Can you really claim it would have exploded before us seeing it given that causality only occurs at the speed of light
Reply 7
i guess. but you may have to live for a million years to see it's effects.
Original post by kimkarsd

Only 643 years.

It's only 650 lightyears away...
Original post by Trinculo
Only 643 years.

point still stands, difficult to see in your lifetime.
point still stands, difficult to see in your lifetime.

Why would it be difficult to see in your lifetime based on its distance from us
Original post by BabyLadDarren

hello
Why would it be difficult to see in your lifetime based on its distance from us

Since humans haven't been known to live for 600 plus years. Even with telescopes like Hubble, it still takes time for that light to reach Earth.
Since humans haven't been known to live for 600 plus years. Even with telescopes like Hubble, it still takes time for that light to reach Earth.

You don't need to live for 600+ years to witness it exploding. It doesn't take 600+ years to explode, that's just how long it takes for causality to reach us from the event. Also, what do you mean "even with telescopes like hubble"? Telescopes don't increase light speed. Plus, Betelgeuse going bang would likely be a daytime visible event.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Can you really claim it would have exploded before us seeing it given that causality only occurs at the speed of light

I'm claiming nothing. Just that if it already had, but more recently than it would take to reach us, we wouldn't know!
You don't need to live for 600+ years to witness it exploding. It doesn't take 600+ years to explode, that's just how long it takes for causality to reach us from the event. Also, what do you mean "even with telescopes like hubble"? Telescopes don't increase light speed. Plus, Betelgeuse going bang would likely be a daytime visible event.
It takes 600 years for the lght to come to Earth. So if it did explode, you may not be alive to see it. You have no way of telling when it will, only in the chance that it happens in your lifetime.

How does one know if anyting explodes? It's by seeing light. It could explode at anytime, but then we would only really know after the fact.

Srsly?

Quick Reply

Latest