The Student Room Group

Been asked for A-Level certificates for Masters application??

I can't be the only person having this problem...

I applied for an MSc at Northumbria last February, entry requirement was just a good application and a 2:1 or above for an undergrad from a UK university... got a conditional offer pretty quickly, got a reference out to them, offer became unconditional, I accepted it.. then 2 weeks ago they suddenly sprang on me that they needed copies of A-Level certificates from me or they couldn't let me enrol with the university!

The thing is, I've moved house 5 times since then and I literally don't have them anymore, they're completely missing. I'm not even sure I received them in the first place. No matter how many times I tell them that I don't have them, they just keep saying that they need me to go find them. I managed to persuade them to let me enrol because they had put me in an awkward position, but they said there would be serious problems down the line if I didn't get the certificates to them. Why in the hell would they even need them??

This is causing me so much stress it's unreal. Has anyone else been in this situation that can offer advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Crazy Sheep
I can't be the only person having this problem...

I applied for an MSc at Northumbria last February, entry requirement was just a good application and a 2:1 or above for an undergrad from a UK university... got a conditional offer pretty quickly, got a reference out to them, offer became unconditional, I accepted it.. then 2 weeks ago they suddenly sprang on me that they needed copies of A-Level certificates from me or they couldn't let me enrol with the university!

The thing is, I've moved house 5 times since then and I literally don't have them anymore, they're completely missing. I'm not even sure I received them in the first place. No matter how many times I tell them that I don't have them, they just keep saying that they need me to go find them. I managed to persuade them to let me enrol because they had put me in an awkward position, but they said there would be serious problems down the line if I didn't get the certificates to them. Why in the hell would they even need them??

This is causing me so much stress it's unreal. Has anyone else been in this situation that can offer advice?

Can't you just phone your school/college and get them to issue replacements?
Reply 2
Original post by john2054
Can't you just phone your school/college and get them to issue replacements?

I emailed my school and they said that they don't keep copies of the certificates :/ they said I could get them from the exam boards but it would be expensive (and I refuse to spend money when I can't even see why they need them)
I emailed my school and they said that they don't keep copies of the certificates :/ they said I could get them from the exam boards but it would be expensive (and I refuse to spend money when I can't even see why they need them)

Just spend the money. It's worth it.
Reply 4

I would contact the exam boards directly, and see if they can give you a discount. But at the end of the day it is your education, and entirely your choice if you want to pursue it!?

Have you ever considered they may query the reliability of your grades? Meaning you could have lied? I'm not saying you would do this, just that it has been known before!
Reply 5
I would contact the exam boards directly, and see if they can give you a discount. But at the end of the day it is your education, and entirely your choice if you want to pursue it!?

Have you ever considered they may query the reliability of your grades? Meaning you could have lied? I'm not saying you would do this, just that it has been known before!

Yeah I get why universities need to verify grades and stuff, but I proved that I got the 2:1 degree from Durham in the relevant undergrad, and that was the only entry requirement, so why would it matter whether or not I lied about my A-Levels? They're kinda irrelevant.
Reply 6
Yeah I get why universities need to verify grades and stuff, but I proved that I got the 2:1 degree from Durham in the relevant undergrad, and that was the only entry requirement, so why would it matter whether or not I lied about my A-Levels? They're kinda irrelevant.

That's what i thought. I thought that if the uni grade is good enough, it trumps the other grades. But i HAVE kept my access certificate, and, you should have done the same thing. If you were lying though, they may revoke your place on this fact alone. Best bet in that case, would be to apply to some other post grad options, sorry to break it to you?!
Reply 7
I could get them from the exam boards but it would be expensive (and I refuse to spend money when I can't even see why they need them)

The bottom line is that you do need them if you want to do that Masters at that uni. Each uni can set its own entry/enrollment criteria. The uni isn't going to change its policy because one applicant was a bit careless and doesn't want to spend a few quid on replacement certificates.

If it helps, I was also asked for my A Level certs as well as my degree transcript, when enrolling on my Masters. It's not that uncommon. You can also expect future employers to want sight of them (as one poster says, it's a measure of how honest you've been on your application, even if you have higher qualifications) so it will be an investment.

You buy replacements or you go elsewhere. Really that simple. And then look after the replacements in the same way you look after your birth certificate or passport. Those certs are the only proof you have of two years' hard graft. I've had mine through thirty-four years and seven house moves. Employers still want to see them (I was asked for them last year, along with my BA & MA certs) and I can lay hands on them in two minutes.
Reply 8
That's what i thought. I thought that if the uni grade is good enough, it trumps the other grades. But i HAVE kept my access certificate, and, you should have done the same thing. If you were lying though, they may revoke your place on this fact alone. Best bet in that case, would be to apply to some other post grad options, sorry to break it to you?!

Original post by Klix88
The bottom line is that you do need them if you want to do that Masters at that uni. Each uni can set its own entry/enrollment criteria. The uni isn't going to change its policy because one applicant was a bit careless and doesn't want to spend a few quid on replacement certificates.

If it helps, I was also asked for my A Level certs as well as my degree transcript, when enrolling on my Masters. It's not that uncommon. You can also expect future employers to want sight of them (as one poster says, it's a measure of how honest you've been on your application, even if you have higher qualifications) so it will be an investment.

You buy replacements or you go elsewhere. Really that simple. And then look after the replacements in the same way you look after your birth certificate or passport. Those certs are the only proof you have of two years' hard graft. I've had mine through thirty-four years and seven house moves. Employers still want to see them (I was asked for them last year, along with my BA & MA certs) and I can lay hands on them in two minutes.

Of course I haven't lied. Turns out the certificates never arrived at my house and my parents refused to spend money on new ones. I'll have to do that now, but I won't afford to eat for a week :frown:

An unconditional offer still requires providing certificates. That being said, I completely empathise at being incredulous with having to provide A-level certificates for a masters that does not have A-level requirements. To be honest, I am surprised you even had to include them in your application - I've never had to for any masters or PhD applications; they were only interested in my previous degrees, and rightly so. I have no idea what relevance A-levels have to graduate study.

However, you clearly have no choice. I mean, you could push it and see if they forget since you've been enrolled already or you could try speaking to the Head of your department or your supervisor rather than admin/admissions (who are often a bit robotic and bureaucratic). But chances are you will have to produce the certificates (and may need them for a job anyway) so just order them and nip it in the bud.

Quick Reply

Latest