The Student Room Group

Switching from Firm to Insurance!!

I'm planning to complete Partners to get an offer for Newcastle of BBB to study Cellular and Molecular Biology however, a small catch is that to get that offer you need to put Newcastle as your firm choice.
I'm also planning on applying to Durham for Biosciences, AAA, which I would prefer to study.
I do know I'm capable of AAA but having the BBB offer is a huge weight off my mind. I really want to know if I put Newcastle as my firm and Durham as my insurance IF I excel myself and find out on results day that I have AAA would I be able to contact Durham and Newcastle and negotiate to be released from me Newcastle offer for my insurance? Will my insurance DEFINITELY take me? Is this a good plan?
Original post by SpencerHowe
I'm planning to complete Partners to get an offer for Newcastle of BBB to study Cellular and Molecular Biology however, a small catch is that to get that offer you need to put Newcastle as your firm choice.
I'm also planning on applying to Durham for Biosciences, AAA, which I would prefer to study.
I do know I'm capable of AAA but having the BBB offer is a huge weight off my mind. I really want to know if I put Newcastle as my firm and Durham as my insurance IF I excel myself and find out on results day that I have AAA would I be able to contact Durham and Newcastle and negotiate to be released from me Newcastle offer for my insurance? Will my insurance DEFINITELY take me? Is this a good plan?

Putting Newcastle as firm would be good because BBB seems secure, but typically putting a higher offer course as insurance makes no sense if you are going for security - if you missed your firm, you'd miss your insurance too.

Just to let you know, if you want to be released from a firm uni that has offered you a place on results day to go to your insurance, you would have to be released into clearing to get your place at insurance back, because the insurance place would know that you already have your place at your firm and they would terminate your application. Just give your insurance a ring on the day and ask if you could go with them before asking your firm to release you. Also make sure that your insurance could actually take you from clearing, or that could be awkward for you.

You can always give UCAS a ring to verify all this, they're really helpful.

If you think you can get AAA, then go for Durham as firm. Just make sure you have a secure insurance! Good luck, I hope you do brilliant this year.
Reply 2
Original post by StudentInSociety
Putting Newcastle as firm would be good because BBB seems secure, but typically putting a higher offer course as insurance makes no sense if you are going for security - if you missed your firm, you'd miss your insurance too.

Just to let you know, if you want to be released from a firm uni that has offered you a place on results day to go to your insurance, you would have to be released into clearing to get your place at insurance back, because the insurance place would know that you already have your place at your firm and they would terminate your application. Just give your insurance a ring on the day and ask if you could go with them before asking your firm to release you. Also make sure that your insurance could actually take you from clearing, or that could be awkward for you.

You can always give UCAS a ring to verify all this, they're really helpful.

If you think you can get AAA, then go for Durham as firm. Just make sure you have a secure insurance! Good luck, I hope you do brilliant this year.

I've heard that if I put Newcastle as my firm and Durham as my insurance that I can call Durham on results day if I do get AAA and they'll take me as long as I can get released from my firm? Is this not true?
Would it mean I would definitely have to go into clearing?
If I call Durham on results day and they say they'll take me and I get released into clearing will Durham then definitely take me or could the place already be taken?
I've heard that if I put Newcastle as my firm and Durham as my insurance that I can call Durham on results day if I do get AAA and they'll take me as long as I can get released from my firm? Is this not true?
Would it mean I would definitely have to go into clearing?
If I call Durham on results day and they say they'll take me and I get released into clearing will Durham then definitely take me or could the place already be taken?

I think that's first point is true, just make sure you call Durham first saying that you'd like to go with them before being released from Newcastle.

If Durham gives you a place over the phone, it means they're not supposed to go back on their word. Some unis do email you offer confirmations. You should take down the person's name, job position, the time of call and what they said so if anything happens, you have proof that they offered you a place.

I feel bad because I don't think it's great thinking about this type of stuff now and stress yourself out, but I guess it's better to know now than never at all :smile:

Remember call UCAS and get support from your college about your concerns!!!!!
Reply 4

No. If you achieve Newcastle's BBB offer on results day your Insurance offer will automatically cease to exist.

If you want to go to Durham you will need to make it your Firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you are looking for is not clearing but adjustment. If you firm a BBB offer and exceed it on results day then you can try to get into Durham (or anywhere else) via adjustment. You have five days to ring round other unis seeking a place secure in the knowledge that your original firm's offer is still there.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-%E2%80%93-if-you%E2%80%99ve-done-better-expected

EDIT: In these circumstances, an AAA insurance with a BBB firm is most likely pointless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
What you are looking for is not clearing but adjustment. If you firm a BBB offer and exceed it on results day then you can try to get into Durham (or anywhere else) via adjustment. You have five days to ring round other unis seeking a place secure in the knowledge that your original firm's offer is still there.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-%E2%80%93-if-you%E2%80%99ve-done-better-expected

EDIT: In these circumstances, an AAA insurance with a BBB firm is most likely pointless.

Except Durham is dodgy during Clearing, so I wouldn't assume they would be particularly helpful for Adjustment either...

I do think it's just simpler if OP firms Durham at the outset (assuming, of course, they get an offer).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Except Durham is dodgy during Clearing, so I wouldn't assume they would be particularly helpful for Adjustment either...

I do think it's just simpler if OP firms Durham at the outset (assuming, of course, they get an offer).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true, but at least the OP wouldn't lose their place while Durham mess around trying to make their mind up.

I think the OP needs to consider a) what they really want, and b) how realistic those aims are in relation to grades achieved, predictions etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending