The Student Room Group

Do universities prefer resitting A Level exams or repeating the whole year?

I'm currently torn between resitting three of my alevel exams and repeating the whole year at a different college. I was wondering do universities prefer students to resit a level exams or repeat the whole year?
If possible, repeating modules within the 2 years is definitely preferable.

However this will lead to a more intense 2nd year exam season so you should bear that in mind.
Reply 2
What's the difference? You do your A-levels at the end of the school year anyways. If you do not have enough knowledge then repeat the whole year, obviously. Resitting is for the unlucky.
Reply 3
Original post by Fadel
What's the difference? You do your A-levels at the end of the school year anyways. If you do not have enough knowledge then repeat the whole year, obviously. Resitting is for the unlucky.

I've heard that some universities don't like the thought of repeating AS year so I just wasn't sure what to do. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
If possible, repeating modules within the 2 years is definitely preferable.

However this will lead to a more intense 2nd year exam season so you should bear that in mind.

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ncmy
Thank you!! :smile:

I THINK if you resit in November times your coursework (if any) gets carried along and it would be hard to see you've retaken it as its still the same year.
Don't take what I said above for 100% because i'm not fully sure, maybe if someone else could verify what I mentioned.
Reply 6
Original post by skkrrr
I THINK if you resit in November times your coursework (if any) gets carried along and it would be hard to see you've retaken it as its still the same year.
Don't take what I said above for 100% because i'm not fully sure, maybe if someone else could verify what I mentioned.

but are there any exams in November? All I know is the January resit exams have been completely trashed so that means there are only May/June exams for AS/A2 Levels..? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by ncmy
but are there any exams in November? All I know is the January resit exams have been completely trashed so that means there are only May/June exams for AS/A2 Levels..? :s-smilie:

Yes my bad, when i posted that comment i did a quick search to see if what i was going to say was true but i couldn't find proper sources and probably read some outdated stuff (thus saying 'think'). I know one college that allows external students and lets you retake exams in May-June however thats only for written exam papers from multiple different exam boards but they dont deal with submitting coursework, controlled assessments or practical activities. So ignore what i said before its probably outdated however some/all might carry your coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest