The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why abortion should be illegal

Scroll to see replies

If abortion is made illegal, and the woman has to go through with an unwanted pregnancy for whatever reason, then the ability for a man to leave the woman and the pregnancy should also be made illegal, and they should be made to stay and support the child that possesses half of their DNA.
Original post by emi.hopkins
If abortion is made illegal, and the woman has to go through with an unwanted pregnancy for whatever reason, then the ability for a man to leave the woman and the pregnancy should also be made illegal, and they should be made to stay and support the child that possesses half of their DNA.

Well a man already has to support their child now even if they don't want it, it's only women who get a choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 202
Original post by da_nolo
to science, that child is life.

0/10
Can you guarantee that for yourself? By what merrit do you qualify "quality life?"

Yes I do.
Do you want the list alphabetical,numerical or a shuffle?
Are you saying they are dead?

I'm saying at the aforementioned stage there is no life, do learnto read.

And plenty more have not. And plenty of help for those who do. Would you justify killing a 2 month child if a mother was "depressed?"

Nope, why do you?

Ha! actually abortion does not remove result, a woman is still raped and still has to deal with mental hardships besides what physical trauma there is.

http://clinicquotes.com/woman-pressured-abortions-husbands/

Do not forget, that if rape was incest, a girl might not be able to verbalize how she became pregnant.

I said the physical result, not the act itself. You're a very fainéant person with your replies aren't you?

If you're trying to make a point dokindly make it instead of spouting random scenarios with no actual point attached...
Original post by Napp
0/10
https://www.britannica.com/topic/life
The pre-born partake in all aspects of above account as to what life is; defined by science.

If you think any cell of a child within a womb is not "life" or alive then what is it? Please share.

Yes I do.
You guarantee yourself quality of life? How may you do that after sustaining a severe concussion due to a car crash or some other freak accident?

To what disease or cancer do you think you may be free of or never obtain?

Do you believe you will have a good job through out your life and there will be no struggles from whence you came to now, or to the future? I did not know you may foresee the future.

Do you want the list alphabetical,numerical or a shuffle?
I doubt you are any scientist involved with life sciences or biology. But please, numerical would do just fine.

I'm saying at the aforementioned stage there is no life, do learn to read.
Learn definitions. If something is not living, it is dead. if you wish to imply importance or some qualitative standard - do please list what ever you may think living is not living when without some characteristics.

Nope, why do you?
I haven't. But there is no difference in terms of who is a human or who is a person between months prior to birth to those after birth. If one does not support a killing after birth why support a killing prior to birth?

I said the physical result, not the act itself.
Again, the physical result of rape is not gotten rid of by abortion.

If you're trying to make a point dokindly make it instead of spouting random scenarios with no actual point attached...
I stated no scenario I stated what has happened.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nottie
It doesn't matter what i think. If I ever get pregnant, I will think about it then.

Doctors are different. I meant fathers have no legal say. I'm not saying I agree with that but that's how it is in this country.
No potential to what is supported by scientific evidence. A parent is a parent at any stage of their child's life. Otherwise, you did not state nor hinted towards the male parent's legal situation. you claimed "no man" to have an opinion in this situation.

some how what you think doesn't matter, but you have posted what you think through out this thread. Hm...enough of a thought no?
Original post by xSailorMoonQueen
In my opinion it should only be legal if the woman was raped or if her life is at danger.

that is only 0.4% of total cases, if you watch the video??

I am okay with this. Good luck enforcing it though>!?
Reply 207
Original post by da_nolo
https://www.britannica.com/topic/life
The pre-born partake in all aspects of above account as to what life is; defined by science.

If you think any cell of a child within a womb is not "life" or alive then what is it? Please share.

Sigh. Let me restate for you,as you seen incapable of grasping this basic concept in any form but the most obtuse and litteral.
We are talking about sentient life. Not anything that meets the obscenely broad definition you just spouted. Unless of course you do take the whole 'any and all life is sacred' view which by your definition includes bacteria and skin cells etc. which de facto makes you a genocidal monster in that regard.

You guarantee yourself quality of life? How may you do that after sustaining a severe concussion due to a car crash or some other freak accident?

I'm not sure you understand what quality of life means seeing as a concussion is unlikely to decrease or substantially impact it in any long term scenario. If I lost all of my limbs, that would impact it for example.

To what disease or cancer do you think you may be free of or never obtain?

Do you seriously expect me to dignify that ridiculous question?

[quote]
Do you believe you will have a good job through out your life and there will be no struggles from whence you came to now, or to the future? I did not know you may foresee the future.[/quote
Sure why not.

I doubt you are any scientist involved with life sciences or biology. But please, numerical would do just fine.

Indeed I am not, so what?
Where would you like the cut off then?

Learn definitions. If something is not living, it is dead. if you wish to imply importance or some qualitative standard - do please list what ever you may think living is not living when without some characteristics.

See above.

I haven't. But there is no difference in terms of who is a human or who is a person between months prior to birth to those after birth. If one does not support a killing after birth why support a killing prior to birth?

Almost every scientist and person who is not a bible basher would beg to differ.
Again, the physical result of rape is not gotten rid of by abortion.

I stated no scenario I stated what has happened.

Lets see, one pysical result of it could be a nipper, abortions removes said result.
Original post by da_nolo
No potential to what is supported by scientific evidence. A parent is a parent at any stage of their child's life. Otherwise, you did not state nor hinted towards the male parent's legal situation. you claimed "no man" to have an opinion in this situation.

some how what you think doesn't matter, but you have posted what you think through out this thread. Hm...enough of a thought no?

The fact that fathers don't have any legal say is not my thought but an actual fact. I never said I supported it and was quite surprised when I found out. But when you go to the doctor to have an abortion, he/she won't listen to the father
Original post by Nottie
The fact that fathers don't have any legal say is not my thought but an actual fact. I never said I supported it and was quite surprised when I found out. But when you go to the doctor to have an abortion, he/she won't listen to the father

A doctor may not listen, but the wife would. Many women have been forced into abortions this way - one confessed this over the radio just a week ago. She felt horrible. yet I doubt laws are adequate for this.
Original post by Napp
Sigh. Let me restate for you,as you seen incapable of grasping this basic concept in any form but the most obtuse and litteral.
We are talking about sentient life. Not anything that meets the obscenely broad definition you just spouted. Unless of course you do take the whole 'any and all life is sacred' view which by your definition includes bacteria and skin cells etc. which de facto makes you a genocidal monster in that regard.
That is the scientific definition of life. Proves your earlier statements as incorrect.

Since you wish to change what you mean by the term "life" (which is all you wished to state) then what is the difference between an infant and fetus?

Why is it important for people to have or be considered sentient life (or to have a conscious) in order to be of worth or human?

This is what you are stating yes?

See above.
ah...a life form pertaining consciousness is just alive as a life form that does not pertain consciousness. to say an organism is not alive or does not pertain life does not indicate an organism does not pertain consciousness.

I'm not sure you understand what quality of life means seeing as a concussion is unlikely to decrease or substantially impact it in any long term scenario. If I lost all of my limbs, that would impact it for example.
The study is on going but here is some tid bits.

A person can receive long term affects from multiple or even a single concussion; which may not be identified until it has happened.

Do you seriously expect me to dignify that ridiculous question?
Why not? if you think there is a quality of life in which a person must have in order to be considered human or pertain worth then you define what that quality of life is. you arrogantly stated you could maintain a good quality of life for your entire life - my question examines what you think makes life of good quality.

so please do answer.

Indeed I am not, so what?
Where would you like the cut off then?
Ah, no answer. as I suspected.

Almost every scientist and person who is not a bible basher would beg to differ.
yet the arguements against abortion are based on philosophy and science
http://www.godlessprolifers.org/home.html
http://www.prolifehumanists.org/
confessions-of-a-pro-life-atheist-why-i-fight-abortion/

Lets see, one pysical result of it could be a nipper (child), abortions removes said result.

Yes a result may be a child - in which abortion would kill. However, even abortion does not diminish that the woman was pregnant. She would still say, "I was raped and became pregnant." Abortion does not change she became pregnant - it only reduces the time frame at a price of innocent life.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by john2054
I am okay with this. Good luck enforcing it though>!?

I shouldn't have to be enforced as long as abortion is legal
Original post by Underscore__
Well a man already has to support their child now even if they don't want it, it's only women who get a choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you call giving them money 'support' then you've got the wrong idea. I'm on about sleepless nights, changing nappies, giving up schooling, uni, or a job for a while to take care of a child that you didn't intend on having. A guy can pay in some money and not have to bring the child up, the women rarely get that choice.
It would be dangerous to make abortions illegal. If abortion was made illegal it wouldn't stop woman having abortions, abortions would be carried out in very dangerous ways
(edited 7 years ago)
I think a woman should have the right to choose, up until a certain time when it is dangerous or something.
I also think there should be a lot of support when making that decision. Earlier it was mentioned the father of the child manipulating the mother to get an abortion. While it should be a joint decision if possible (though I'd say the mothers choice overrides), this obviously shouldn't happen.
If you don't agree with abortion fine by me, but you shouldn't expect laws to stop people doing something to their own bodies that you disagree with.
"Hey you can't have that, there's a new law against tattoos because I don't like them"
(obviously a completely different example, it's all I could think of OK?!)
Original post by bethprobably
I think a woman should have the right to choose, up until a certain time when it is dangerous or something.
I also think there should be a lot of support when making that decision. Earlier it was mentioned the father of the child manipulating the mother to get an abortion. While it should be a joint decision if possible (though I'd say the mothers choice overrides), this obviously shouldn't happen.
If you don't agree with abortion fine by me, but you shouldn't expect laws to stop people doing something to their own bodies that you disagree with.
"Hey you can't have that, there's a new law against tattoos because I don't like them"
(obviously a completely different example, it's all I could think of OK?!)

1. anti-abortion is not based on what a person likes or dislikes, that drives the cause

2. no person has 100% control over their own body in life nor by law. You can but the law and doctors are against self mutilation. Yet, there are a number of individuals who have asked doctors to cut off limbs or become cripple. sad truth.

At young ages, you can not get a tattoo and no one can give it to you. Some medical practices are illegal while some paints/chemicals are illegal for various reasons. All laws passed by someone because they disagreed with something

3. Abortion includes two persons of unique genetics/DNA. clearly not just about mother's body. this is part of the issues that anti-abortion individuals have qualm with.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Abortion is completely immoral. Just think of the number of potential Einsteins, Churchills etc that have been murdered in the name of "right to choice".

And all the thieves, murderers etc.??

Personally I abhor abortion in most cases but I think the law should stay how it is because it’s a deeply personal issue.
"It's my body"; kills a child's body.

Some of you say you're pro-choice, but you're not really giving the child a choice whether to be killed or not huh? Smartasses.

I only support rape victims. The vast majority of abortions are performed due to immaturity, stupidity, or for convenience.
If you call giving them money 'support' then you've got the wrong idea. I'm on about sleepless nights, changing nappies, giving up schooling, uni, or a job for a while to take care of a child that you didn't intend on having. A guy can pay in some money and not have to bring the child up, the women rarely get that choice.

I do call giving money support, it's a fact. Women have that choice right now, they can abort a baby; a man is at a woman's mercy. Why do people insist on using rare cases as examples, very few females give up uni or school to have children, most take time off of work and then go back.

If you don't want to have a child then use contraception. Let me just answer some of your inevitable replies:

'Contraception sometimes fails' - very rarely do contraceptions fail, you also have the option of using multiple.

'You could say the same to a man' - yes you could but after sex has occurred a man is left with no choice, a woman still has a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
I do call giving money support, it's a fact. Women have that choice right now, they can abort a baby; a man is at a woman's mercy. Why do people insist on using rare cases as examples, very few females give up uni or school to have children, most take time off of work and then go back.

If you don't want to have a child then use contraception. Let me just answer some of your inevitable replies:

'Contraception sometimes fails' - very rarely do contraceptions fail, you also have the option of using multiple.

'You could say the same to a man' - yes you could but after sex has occurred a man is left with no choice, a woman still has a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not talking about now, because women have the choice to abort now, I'm talking about if they didn't have that choice.

I'm not using the 'rare cases', bringing up any child is hard no matter who you are, ask your mother.

Of course money is a type of support- financial support, but if a woman (in a land where abortion is illegal) was forced to bring up a child they never wanted, a man should be made to bring it up to?? It only makes sense! Considering they played equal parts in creating the child.

And regarding contraception, the only way to 100% prevent pregnancy, is to not have sex. So unless everyone stopped having sex, then there would always be risk to pregnancy, and always a few who get pregnant who didn't want to, and therefore always people who because of their circumstances, would like or need an abortion?

What about rape?

Latest

Trending

Trending