The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieGEM
Totally rote memorisation. I just tell it like it is.

How sad, to be in your 30s and still getting off on trolling a student forum :rolleyes:
Medicine.

Its not a bad degree ofc. However, I've met a number of people with medicine degrees who talk down to everyone and seem to think they're geniuses. There are also a startling number of people who want to do a medicine degree.
Art
Original post by Democracy
How sad, to be in your 30s and still getting off on trolling a student forum :rolleyes:

I get paid good money to tutor various entrance exams and subjects covered well by this forum so it pays me to keep an eye. I can't resist the odd comment however.

Must be sad to allegedly have a high flying career and yet still be having to defend it on student forums 😂
I have a friend who has just graduated with a degree in maths and has no job, yet I have 2 friends who have graduated with accounting and fiance both have jobs. One is now an accountant and the other works for a big bank.
Original post by hopefuldentist10
All degree subjects are predominantly memorisation with the exceptions being maths and physics

I did a tiny smidgen of University level chemistry. I had to memorise tables of molecules; their names, skeletal formula and molecular formula. How is this any different to memorising anatomy?

I don't think things like accounting or computer science are memorisation are they?
Original post by the IT MAN
I have a friend who has just graduated with a degree in maths and has no job, yet I have 2 friends who have graduated with accounting and fiance both have jobs. One is now an accountant and the other works for a big bank.

Do you know which Unis they went to mate and what their a levels were? I'm also doing A+F but didn't get the best a levels (3 Cs) so was wandering if this would majorly hinder me
Original post by hopefuldentist10
All degree subjects are predominantly memorisation with the exceptions being maths and physics

I did a tiny smidgen of University level chemistry. I had to memorise tables of molecules; their names, skeletal formula and molecular formula. How is this any different to memorising anatomy?

The difference is that chemistry students don't tend to have a stick up their ****.
Original post by alexp98
I don't think things like accounting or computer science are memorisation are they?

Accounting is pretty much the furthest thing from memorisation.
Original post by GoingToBurst
Accounting is pretty much the furthest thing from memorisation.

Accounting is part memorization and part problem solving.

To do the problem solving you need to have memorized the basics first, then you have to apply your knowledge and problem solve because there will always be weird tricky situations/transactions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dhanny
Accounting is part memorization and part problem solving.

To do the problem solving you need to have memorized the basics first, then you have to apply your knowledge and problem solve because there will always be weird tricky situations/transactions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Memorising the basics won't allow anyone to be able to solve complex accounting problems. Understanding the basics will. I could memorise all of the information provided in my lectures but I won't get very far if I don't study the principles behind that information. Is simply impossible to teach everything about accounting, but by understanding the principles you can certainly make a good go of any problem you are faced with.

Even simple things like which accounts get debited and which get credited require more than memorisation. They require an understanding of why you are debiting/crediting that account and what the effect of it is.
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Memorising the basics won't allow anyone to be able to solve complex accounting problems. Understanding the basics will. I could memorise all of the information provided in my lectures but I won't get very far if I don't study the principles behind that information. Is simply impossible to teach everything about accounting, but by understanding the principles you can certainly make a good go of any problem you are faced with.

Even simple things like which accounts get debited and which get credited require more than memorisation. They require an understanding of why you are debiting/crediting that account and what the effect of it is.

Ahhh yes, I completely forgot about the understanding. You are absolutely right, I made a mistake in not mentioning about the understanding although I have to say that there is memorization involved.
How else would people know the layouts of statements and accounts such as the Income statement, Balance sheet, manufacturing account or even things such as the different IAS Standards and Accounting concepts.

Yes, you can also say understanding automatically helps people remember though in my opinion id say its a bit of memory initially, then a lot of understanding and using that understanding and memorizing, a person gets on to applying the knowledge and understanding.
Reply 372
I'm not sure which I would classify as the most overrated, but I think humanities, especially English and History are vastly underrated. Although they don't appear to have a direct connection to any particular careers, they keep your options open and post-graduate study can lead to careers in Law, Diplomacy, Teaching, Academia, Journalism and working in large corporations in areas such as HR and marketing. The skills these degrees require are very transferable because they are based around answering a question using evidence that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways, and can sometimes be misinterpreted.
Original post by Dhanny
Ahhh yes, I completely forgot about the understanding. You are absolutely right, I made a mistake in not mentioning about the understanding although I have to say that there is memorization involved.
How else would people know the layouts of statements and accounts such as the Income statement, Balance sheet, manufacturing account or even things such as the different IAS Standards and Accounting concepts.

Yes, you can also say understanding automatically helps people remember though in my opinion id say its a bit of memory initially, then a lot of understanding and using that understanding and memorizing, a person gets on to applying the knowledge and understanding.

Oh yeah I totally agree, but being able to format financial statements becomes more of a habit than a memorisation game, in my opinion. Formatting the financial statements alone won't allow anyone to pass the course, they have to understand what they're actually doing. There is a memory aspect to everything, but memory alone won't allow anyone to pass an accounting class (maybe management accounting actually, it's generally pretty methodical and straight forward).
What does everyone think about pharmacy degrees?
Original post by jaffacakes101

They're good. They also give you placements and experience as part of the course so you don't need to be scrambling around looking for jobs afterwards either. Once you've got your MPharm (the minimum for actually working as a pharmacist) and you've passed the exam to work as a pharmacist people will want you for work straight away.

My brother did pharmacy and he's working locum right now around the country which is what he wanted to do even before he started the degree, he's making lots of money and helping people :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jaffacakes101

Wish I could have done it tbh.

apparently the markets saturated and it's really hard to find work though.
Something like Fashion or Media Studies?

The only reason someone does a Media course is because they weren't good enough to get onto a Journalism course, let's be honest.

I've heard you can even do a degree in Football Studies. I mean really? I like football but come on?
Original post by MeYou2Night
Something like Fashion or Media Studies?

The only reason someone does a Media course is because they weren't good enough to get onto a Journalism course, let's be honest.

I've heard you can even do a degree in Football Studies. I mean really? I like football but come on?

Could say the only reason someone does a journalism degree is because they can't get into English lit or Law by that logic Tbf?
And btw, literally just about anyone could do journalism at uni
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Wish I could have done it tbh.

apparently the markets saturated and it's really hard to find work though.

Never to late pal, don't have any regrets

Latest

Trending

Trending