The Student Room Group

Subject help

Hi, I am just about to start year 13. At AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Politics and Business. I did AS exams in Politics and Business and got A's in both. However, I would like to ask which is the better one to carry on into A2 considering I would like to study biochemistry at university. Thanks
Original post by hw1221
Hi, I am just about to start year 13. At AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Politics and Business. I did AS exams in Politics and Business and got A's in both. However, I would like to ask which is the better one to carry on into A2 considering I would like to study biochemistry at university. Thanks

A few questions:

Did you get significantly higher in one over the other?

Did you enjoy one more than the other?

Does the A2 content for one look more interesting/easier than the other?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
A few questions:

Did you get significantly higher in one over the other?

Did you enjoy one more than the other?

Does the A2 content for one look more interesting/easier than the other?

I got A's in both, I enjoy politics more but the Business A2 looks much easier but less interesting that politics.
Original post by hw1221
I got A's in both, I enjoy politics more but the Business A2 looks much easier but less interesting that politics.

Go for whatever you are willing to work more for. Which are you more motivated to do and which can you see yourself getting a high grade. Or take up Maths AS?
Original post by hw1221

From the looks of some entry requirements (check with the unis you're interested though) what matters is the third grade rather than the subject, as you've got Bio and Chem already so... go with what you think you'll get a decent grade in, maybe even an A* if possible.. and think about whether Business being less enjoyable than politics would mean that you'll struggle to find motivation or to do well in.. perhaps you can draw on how you felt in Year 12.
Reply 5
Original post by chemistrynerd13
Go for whatever you are willing to work more for. Which are you more motivated to do and which can you see yourself getting a high grade. Or take up Maths AS?

I can see myself getting a high grade in both, I think I will do politics though because I just prefer it in general. I dont really want to take up maths AS because I need the study periods this year.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
From the looks of some entry requirements (check with the unis you're interested though) what matters is the third grade rather than the subject, as you've got Bio and Chem already so... go with what you think you'll get a decent grade in, maybe even an A* if possible.. and think about whether Business being less enjoyable than politics would mean that you'll struggle to find motivation or to do well in.. perhaps you can draw on how you felt in Year 12.

Yeah, Universities just require a third grade so that is what I need to base the decision off. I do feel like I would prefer politics as I did in year 12. Also it has the benefit of being an old style course so I have an A in 50% already wheras taking Business would mean I would have to revise all the AS stuff again.
Original post by hw1221
Yeah, Universities just require a third grade so that is what I need to base the decision off. I do feel like I would prefer politics as I did in year 12. Also it has the benefit of being an old style course so I have an A in 50% already wheras taking Business would mean I would have to revise all the AS stuff again.

In that case I would go for Politics, there seem to be more pros for studying it even if it isn't as easy.

Quick Reply

Latest