The Student Room Group

Feeling odd one out at sixth form?

Just started my sixth form, I feel the odd one out in my form, mostly because I'm new, I've done my GCSE from a different school. This sixth form is connected to a high school/ junior school, so most of the people have known each other since year 7. I try to talk to them, but they all seem so attached with their friends. They just kinda ignore me.. What should I do?
Reply 1
was today your first proper day or was it just an induction???
My form tutor did one of those ice breakers so we were forced to talkk to eachother. Im sure you wont be the only new person in your form so just sit next to them and try and make small talk. ask what subjects they are doing, what gcses they took etc
Reply 2
Dw i was in the same situation as you last year. For me the first 2 weeks were horrible but after that you should be fine. In your classes find someone who looks friendly and ask if you can sit next to them then join in with any conversations :smile:.
Reply 3
Thanks:smile: it was an induction day, and I guess I just feel overwhelmed, I'm not the type of person who likes new places, but I guess eventually I'll feel more settled in.
I was miserable throughout sixth form because everyone I was friends with from school went to college and I was left with people who pretty much had a low opinion of me because the school mentality remained in sixth form. I wish I went to college because part time college was a positive experience when I did evening courses.

Talk to people. Make a strong effort next week and see how it goes. Don't be afraid to look into college as a last minute change if they offer courses you want. People are more mature there generally speaking. Either way you're gonna be the new person though.
(edited 7 years ago)
It was induction day. Give it some time for people to know what kind of person you are. If you see someone who has a similar hobby as you, try to talk to them but it's not always easy if you're shy. It'll be easier to speak to people in your classes.

Don't force yourself to make friends though, that might have a negative affect and you might do poorly in your subjects. You don't want that especially if you'll only be with these people for 2 years. Sorry, this part was a realist opinion.

Hoped this helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
6th form doesn't matter, it's such a short insignicant of your life. Just focus on your A levels and acing them, try as hard as you can and literally work your butt off. For many, social life truly begins once they've started university
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y
6th form doesn't matter, it's such a short insignicant of your life. Just focus on your A levels and acing them, try as hard as you can and literally work your butt off. For many, social life truly begins once they've started university

you can still have a social life in college/sixth form tho lol
Original post by s.mo
you can still have a social life in college/sixth form tho lol

But there's no point becoming depressed and sad that you aren't making friends at 6th form and pining after them. Just pick yourself up and get on with your work, you'll make plenty of friends throughout your life
Reply 9
Original post by Pinkberry_y
But there's no point becoming depressed and sad that you aren't making friends at 6th form and pining after them. Just pick yourself up and get on with your work, you'll make plenty of friends throughout your life

ahh ok i get what u mean but they person has only had an induction day and hasnt met people in their classes (only form) so it makes sense and it will take time for some
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest