The Student Room Group

Flatmates parents are staying over a week! Is this allowed?

Scroll to see replies

There are loads of things in grown up life that that you won't be consulted on that will piss you off or make you "uncomfortable" (though, lol @ "they might go through our stuff ... so might your other flatmates, so if you're bothered about that risk it's time to get your own flat), and you will just have to put up with them. This is good practice for that - best thing you can do is to wind your neck in, put up with it seeing as if it's freshers you won't be in a lot anyway, and move on. It's only a week!
Yes, the issue of the people of today - not being able to come into your dorm as a drunken slob without judgement.

Bloody grow up.
Reply 22
Original post by daniellee0
Also I asked for an all female flat which is what it is and her dad will be the only male there so it will be very awkward

Your flatmates will be brining boys over. You can't expect to keep the flat completely men-free.

Do you share toilet and shower?
Reply 23
One of my flat mates is coming from abroad and she said her parents are going to stay in her room for a week. Is this even allowed? None of us feel comfortable about this and we don't understand why they need to stay a week and why they can't just get a hotel.

Is there anything we can do about this?

Do the parents come to monitor their daughter during freshers?
God that sucks, why are they coming with her anyways?

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP you are tight-ass. You really have such a problem with your flatmates PARENTS staying for just a week? Wow!
Original post by Nottie
Your flatmates will be brining boys over. You can't expect to keep the flat completely men-free.

Do you share toilet and shower?

Yeah brining boys over fine but a grown man from another country who we know nothing about? Yes it is a shared bathroom hence why we don't really wanna share with a man
OP seems to making a mountain out of a molehill. At some point you're going to want someone to stay over and I hope everyone tells you not to. Sure, the flatmate should have asked but so what? Now if your flatmates parents are using everything then talk to your flatmate and either have them contribute a bit more that week or have them tell their parents to not be using everything.

So what if you want a 'flat party', as long as it isn't breaking the rules of your tenancy and all of your flatmates want to then go ahead, her parents are guests they're not in charge.
Yeah brining boys over fine but a grown man from another country who we know nothing about? Yes it is a shared bathroom hence why we don't really wanna share with a man

Do you plan on using the bathroom at the same time as this guy? If not then why is it an issue?
Reply 29
One of my flat mates is coming from abroad and she said her parents are going to stay in her room for a week. Is this even allowed? None of us feel comfortable about this and we don't understand why they need to stay a week and why they can't just get a hotel.

Is there anything we can do about this?

Either because they are poor or because they are tight
I'm with you on this OP, firstly I think it is quite rude t have this dropped on you without consultations. Secondly you (in theory) only get to be a fresher once and someone's parents loitering around will be a major buzzkill.

I'd suggest just speaking to your housemate, it may cause some initial friction but it sounds like she'll end up pissing you off come what may, so may as well get that uni cliche ticked ASAP.

Then just don't change your plans, go out, have fun and make a racket if you want to make q racket. If their parents complain, then I'm sure there are plenty of Airbnb nearby.

Enjoy!
Original post by Dannyboy2015
OP seems to making a mountain out of a molehill. At some point you're going to want someone to stay over and I hope everyone tells you not to. Sure, the flatmate should have asked but so what? Now if your flatmates parents are using everything then talk to your flatmate and either have them contribute a bit more that week or have them tell their parents to not be using everything.

So what if you want a 'flat party', as long as it isn't breaking the rules of your tenancy and all of your flatmates want to then go ahead, her parents are guests they're not in charge.

It's not just me who feels this way it is all of my flat mates. We want to be away from parents and it's a tiny flat as it is we didn't sign up to share with parents. I understand that she wants her parents to come with her as its scary moving to a new place which is completely fine but why do they need to stay a week in our accommodation? There are plenty of hotels available. We aren't allowed people to stay over more than 2 days so I don't understand why this rule does not apply to her to. She hasn't even asked if we minded if they stayed over, which we think would have been polite to do so.
Reply 32

Honestly that sucks. With girls being your flat mates you can always use the bathroom at the same time, but a man makes that impossible. People here seem to be ignoring the fact that for your first week you will have limited access to your kitchen and bathroom because there will be two more people using it. 1-3 nights would be fair enough, but a week for 2 people is too much. Complain to whatever authorities are responsible (landlord), if you go together with all your other flat mates then they will have to side with you since you're paying them. Especially if you only have one bathroom, it's bad enough when you have to share it at all, and now you have two extra people so you'll be struggling to get access when you need it a lot.

Edit: if the rules say 2 days max for visitors then that's it. Tell the girl with your other flat mates that those are the rules and she's not allowed to break them. If she does then you can make a proper complaint.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dannyboy2015

It's a bit different someone's friend / boyfriend staying over for a night then someone's parents for a week
I don't think it's appropriate, I can't understand them wanting to stay with their daughter for few days, like 2 or 3. However, a week is taking the piss. That's just plain rude and she should have asked you beforehand, instead of just making plans.

More importantly, this is your first week at University and freshers week where you want to enjoy without parents etc. Experience new things.

If they came say mid October after you've settled in etc, then it's not too bad I think.
Its only going to be for a couple of days its not like theyre doing your course as well...
It's a bit different someone's friend / boyfriend staying over for a night then someone's parents for a week

Not if the reasons you listed are why you are objecting. They will still be male, still be increasing the number of people in the flat, and still not paying rent...
Original post by Ethereal
Not if the reasons you listed are why you are objecting. They will still be male, still be increasing the number of people in the flat, and still not paying rent...

Difference is they won't be staying a week, one night is fine but a week is just taking the piss
Difference is they won't be staying a week, one night is fine but a week is just taking the piss

So the fact you wanted an all female flat and her dad is male is irrelevant then
Reply 39
(4.14) Guests are deemed a privilege and are only permitted at the sole discretion of the Landlord's Agent and their representatives. Any guests deemed to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol will be refused entrance to the property.

I'd love to see a magistrate enforce that! Guests are not a privilege.. you have a right to quiet enjoyment of your home and guests are an acceptable part of that enjoyment.

Quick Reply

Latest