The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 12284
why are the terms for cambridge so much longer than other unis? They're around the same as for secondary school. I thought they were meant to be shorter?

Terms at Cambridge is shorter than other unis, definitely shorter than schools.
Only 8 wks.
That's another reason their course is more intense and demanding than others.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
So... apparently my Director of Studies is someone from a completely different subject according to my letter... do I take that as a mistake?

How different?
Not even Physics?
Original post by vincrows
How different?
Not even Physics?

History 😂 This isn't even the Tutor, my tutor is MML

Maybe you should just study history instead and see if anybody notices?

Tutor is OK. He's only in charge of pastoral care, not academic.
Sorry, I forgot..... which college you said you're going?
Do they have any DoS who's a physician?
Original post by ValerieKR
Maybe you should just study history instead and see if anybody notices?

I'm really seriously tempted to endorse this idea..........:tongue:
Tutor is OK. He's only in charge of pastoral care, not academic.
Sorry, I forgot..... which college you said you're going?
Do they have any DoS who's a physician?

Clare College. Yeah I received an e-mail a few weeks ago regarding modules which said who the Phys NatSci DOS is. :s-smilie:
EDIT: Just received an e-mail and it seems like it is just an error! Phew
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 907
Terms at Cambridge is shorter than other unis, definitely shorter than schools.
Only 8 wks.
That's another reason their course is more intense and demanding than others.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars

I very confused...Could you please explain this paper that they sent me? whats 'full term', 'university term' and "keep term" as well?
sorry i uploaded the image upside down, hope its readable...
(edited 7 years ago)
Clare College. Yeah I received an e-mail a few weeks ago regarding modules which said who the Phys NatSci DOS is. :s-smilie:

Email them. :smile:
And please report us back what they said.
I just remembered they had some ****-up when contacting the candidates with offer/rejection, I'm really interested what they did this time. :biggrin:
Email them. :smile:
And please report us back what they said.
I just remembered they had some ****-up when contacting the candidates with offer/rejection, I'm really interested what they did this time. :biggrin:

Ah yes I remember that!
They've replied to my e-mail (although they are out of college) and said that it seems like it is an error and the historian is likely to be my tutor, although I don't know why this MML guy is down as my tutor then XD They've forwarded my e-mail to the tutorial office so I shall see what they say!
Original post by 12284
I very confused...Could you please explain this paper that they sent me? whats 'full term', 'university term' and "keep term" as well?

The only thing it really matters to you is "Full Term" (FT), I *think* 'University Term' is when the administration offices of university are 'officially' open and in full operation.

Just refer to the table I linked above. :wink:

btw, do you always look at things upside down??

:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah yes I remember that!
They've replied to my e-mail (although they are out of college) and said that it seems like it is an error and the historian is likely to be my tutor, although I don't know why this MML guy is down as my tutor then XD They've forwarded my e-mail to the tutorial office so I shall see what they say!

I'll await for your report with anticipation. :biggrin:
So... apparently my Director of Studies is someone from a completely different subject according to my letter... do I take that as a mistake?

Are you sure that's your DoS? It's more likely to be your Tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 12284
why are the terms for cambridge so much longer than other unis? They're around the same as for secondary school. I thought they were meant to be shorter?

"Full Term" is what you want to look at, not "Term". Confusingly Full Term is shorter than Term in the arcane land of Cambridge.

(I bet Vincrows has already replied...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 12284
sorry i uploaded the image upside down, hope its readable...

Only in Australia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Are you sure that's your DoS? It's more likely to be your Tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I thought, but my letter specifically says Director of studies: Dr Elizabeth Foyster (history person), Tutor: Dr Timothy Chesters (MML Person).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 916
The only thing it really matters to you is "Full Term" (FT), I *think* 'University Term' is when the administration offices of university are 'officially' open and in full operation.

Just refer to the table I linked above. :wink:

btw, do you always look at things upside down??

:tongue:

Original post by jneill
"Full Term" is what you want to look at, not "Term". Confusingly Full Term is shorter than Term in the arcane land of Cambridge.

(I bet Vincrows has already replied...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks both of you for the reply, of I'd still be wondering whats happening! And nope I can't read upside down:tongue: my camera went funny and somehow rotated the pic upside down!
when full term finishes are students expected to stay for longer, because I have a letter explaining that the normal period of residence for the 1st term is 1st Oct to 10th Dec?
Original post by alow
Definitely unusual :tongue:

A Level physics isn't anything like what you'll do at Cambridge though. Think more like the maths M modules on crack.

I do know a physicist who didn't get an A* in GCSE physics though, that's definitely weirder.

ahaha, me too, A in GCSE chemistry and physics, yet full UMS in A level physics and chemistry a2 exams
Reply 918
Original post by RThornton
ahaha, me too, A in GCSE chemistry and physics, yet full UMS in A level physics and chemistry a2 exams

Well, at least you made up for it :tongue:
Original post by alow
Well, at least you made up for it :tongue:

I disagree.
Place should be revoked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending