The Student Room Group

Chemistry help- Avogadro's constant & moles

Hey, just starting Chemistry and getting my head around the basics. Just when I thought I understood Avogadro's constant and moles, the following questions sort of tripped me up.
IMG_20160903_123240.jpg
What I thought was that 6.022x10²³ is the value of the constant, and it means the number of carbon atoms in 12g of carbon-12? This means that question "b" would just be 6.022x10²³, and "c" would be 1 mole, because a mole is the amount which has 6.022x10²³ atoms, right?

This is really badly worded, but those questions have confused me and I just wanted to check my understanding or have some advice if I'm wrong.
Just to be clear I'm not asking for the answers or for people to do my work for me.
Original post by LDS16
Hey, just starting Chemistry and getting my head around the basics. Just when I thought I understood Avogadro's constant and moles, the following questions sort of tripped me up.
IMG_20160903_123240.jpg
What I thought was that 6.022x10²³ is the value of the constant, and it means the number of carbon atoms in 12g of carbon-12? This means that question "b" would just be 6.022x10²³, and "c" would be 1 mole, because a mole is the amount which has 6.022x10²³ atoms, right?

This is really badly worded, but those questions have confused me and I just wanted to check my understanding or have some advice if I'm wrong.
Just to be clear I'm not asking for the answers or for people to do my work for me.

Hi there! :smile: Yes, you're correct. :smile:
An advice: Go through these definitions such as Avogardo's constant,moles etc as this will help you out to tackle such questions. It takes time but a lil bit of time consumption is worth it if you can manage understanding something more clearly.
Original post by LDS16
IMG_20160903_123240.jpg

Should be correct as their is one mole (mass /relative mass) and in one mole there is the avagadros number of atoms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It's correct.
Original post by LDS16
IMG_20160903_123240.jpg

haha stop doubting yourself lds :wink:you got it m8!
Original post by LDS16
IMG_20160903_123240.jpg

Oh my bad
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ze Witcher
B isn't correct, as to find the number of atoms you need to know the number of moles and then times by Avogadros constant.
In this case it would be 12/16 x 6.022^23 = number of moles for Carbon.

The atomic mass of carbon is 12, Oxygen is 16...
Yes, I read about that as well. I don't think it's necessary to know that much details about it.(P.S Idk what specification you are following, I was an Edexcel student for AS :smile: ). If you want to know the reason just for the sake of information, then here it is:-
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1061836

And yeah, no worries :smile:
Avocado's number = 6.02 x 1026 .... also called a Guacamole

:getmecoat:
Original post by charco
Avocado's number = 6.02 x 1026 .... also called a Guacamole

:getmecoat:

I used to think of this while my teacher was teaching this topic. :tongue: :lol: And, it's 6.02x1023

:tongue:
Original post by sabahshahed294
I used to think of this while my teacher was teaching this topic. :tongue: :lol: And, it's 6.02x1023

:tongue:

No, that's Avogadro's number ...

I was quoting Avocado's number!

There are 1000 Avogadros in an Avocado (guaca- = 1000x)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest