The Student Room Group

What should i focus on at 20?

My worries: friends, leaving uni next year, boyfriend-less,etc
Reply 1
Focus on graduating from uni with a good grade.

Relationships can wait.
Original post by UWS
Focus on graduating from uni with a good grade.

Relationships can wait.

Nothing stopping you having both:tongue:
Seriously buddy. Wait until after uni. Girls just get in the way. You can afford to wait for a girlfriend but you can't afford to screw up uni.

Same with friends tbh
Original post by MeYou2Night
Seriously buddy. Wait until after uni. Girls just get in the way. You can afford to wait for a girlfriend but you can't afford to screw up uni.

Same with friends tbh

I m intrigued as to why two of you think you should wait? Would you then say wait till you have a career too?
Original post by lousmithy
My worries: friends, leaving uni next year, boyfriend-less,etc

Focus on your studies first , given how much you are paying for the privilege but make sure you leave time to find yourself another boyfriend.
Reply 6

Same with friends tbh

Agreed, but i'm worried and heard life sorta ends after uni and this is where you'd meet your friends/partner...
Original post by claireestelle
I m intrigued as to why two of you think you should wait? Would you then say wait till you have a career too?

So the OP is 100% focused on his degree? Girlfriend/boyfriends are great but they are a distraction.

Career is different but I would advise having one first yes.
Original post by lousmithy
Agreed, but i'm worried and heard life sorta ends after uni and this is where you'd meet your friends/partner...

That's not true. I didn't meet my fiancée at uni, and I only have one friend I see regularly from uni. Most of them now are from work etc.

You will Have lots of friends in life, some temporary and some lot standing.
So the OP is 100% focused on his degree? Girlfriend/boyfriends are great but they are a distraction.

Career is different but I would advise having one first yes.

Drinking and clubbing are distractions also unless you don't bother with them then I d argue a girlfriend/boyfriend is a better districtation. My fiancé and I s grades went up when we met as we supported each other and he proofread everything for me.
Everyone has different priorities but as I ve always wanted to have a family of my own I never wanted to wait for years to find somebody after getting a career. There's only so many years in your live why choose to spend them alone ?
Reply 10

Exactly, if you have strong bonds with friends or a relationship they would understand and in most cases push you to focus on whats important. Also you can always put them on hold and in some cases wouldn't they be going through the same thing as you? (as in focusing on studies?)
If it's your last year at uni then really you should be focusing on your grades. In the grand scheme of things, relationships can wait.

HOWEVER, you are in an environment that will allow for meeting new people on a regular basis, so make sure you're still going out every so often, having fun and making conversation with those around you. It may not lead anyway, but you're keeping your options open.

It's striking a balance, really. Don't fret too much otherwise your grades may suffer, but at the same time just keep your eyes open.
Reply 12
Every single ( pun intended ) post of yours includes your dismay at not having a boyfriend

Truly concerning.
Drinking and clubbing are distractions also unless you don't bother with them then I d argue a girlfriend/boyfriend is a better districtation. My fiancé and I s grades went up when we met as we supported each other and he proofread everything for me.
Everyone has different priorities but as I ve always wanted to have a family of my own I never wanted to wait for years to find somebody after getting a career. There's only so many years in your live why choose to spend them alone ?

Yes they are if you go out quite a lot, which some still do in their final and most important year. However they don't have an emotional distraction which a girlfriend or boyfriend brings, which is much bigger than going clubbing.
Yes they are if you go out quite a lot, which some still do in their final and most important year. However they don't have an emotional distraction which a girlfriend or boyfriend brings, which is much bigger than going clubbing.

I didn't find it an emotional distraction, for example he got me through 2 relatives deaths at university i'd not have gotten assignments in if i'd have been alone. A decent boyfriend or girlfriend would understand if you need time to study , i wouldn't think so much with people pressuring you to go out drinking as can be common at uni. So you wouldn't have wished to meet your fiance sooner if you could have then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Why are you so desperate for a boyfriend?

Desperation just leads to the wrong people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending