The Student Room Group

A level science textbooks!!!

I will be studying Biology,Chemistry & psychology A level this academic year with the exam board AQA.

I would like to know which Student textbooks & Revision guides will help me achieve top grades

Please mention any good books which you used to revise and make notes

Scroll to see replies

CGP helped me a lot, you can find the AQA specific as well :smile:
Reply 2
Are you going for AS or A2?? I'd say CGP for biology (it's the only one of the sciences I did)
Original post by AfcFob
Are you going for AS or A2?? I'd say CGP for biology (it's the only one of the sciences I did)

AS, and the student textbooks??
Original post by AnnaRainbows
CGP helped me a lot, you can find the AQA specific as well :smile:

Do they have all the content you need? Becuase some people have told me that the biology CGP books lack content?
Original post by Lazybutmotivated
Do they have all the content you need? Becuase some people have told me that the biology CGP books lack content?

Had all the content I needed :smile:

They're chatting ****; I got All A grades in all 3 sciences at AS using CGP and past papers.
Reply 7
I will be studying Biology,Chemistry & psychology A level this academic year with the exam board AQA.

I would like to know which Student textbooks & Revision guides will help me achieve top grades

Please mention any good books which you used to revise and make notes

I don't know about AQA textbooks, but past papers are your best friends. Seriously, do them all and go over them until you understand what all of the answers should be. This is how to achieve top grades once you've got the content sorted.
Original post by annaj97
I don't know about AQA textbooks, but past papers are your best friends. Seriously, do them all and go over them until you understand what all of the answers should be. This is how to achieve top grades once you've got the content sorted.

I'm aware of that but in order for me to do the past papers I need to know the content. Which exam board did you do?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
They're chatting ****; I got All A grades in all 3 sciences at AS using CGP and past papers.

Congrats! Did you do AQA?
Congrats! Did you do AQA?

OCR Chemistry and AQA Biology and Physics. I doubt there's a difference in quality of the textbooks on whether you do AQA or OCR.
OCR Chemistry and AQA Biology and Physics. I doubt there's a difference in quality of the textbooks on whether you do AQA or OCR.

Yeah I guess that's true. Did you also use the revision guides?
Yeah I guess that's true. Did you also use the revision guides?

No, they're the ones that are actually lacking in content and detail, not the textbooks.
No, they're the ones that are actually lacking in content and detail, not the textbooks.

Oh okay, when did you sit your AS exams? Because now the courses are linear
Also if you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSEs?
CGP
CGP textbooks are the best! NOT the revision guides - they lack detail.

Try Oxford textbooks too for OCR based subjects.

NEVER EVER EVER GET THE PEARSON TEXTBOOKS.
THEY ARE HORRIBLE.
Original post by nwmyname
CGP textbooks are the best! NOT the revision guides - they lack detail.

Try Oxford textbooks too for OCR based subjects.

NEVER EVER EVER GET THE PEARSON TEXTBOOKS.
THEY ARE HORRIBLE.

Is this for psychology as well?
Is this for psychology as well?

Don't know much about it.
I read the textbook for it and it was tosh.

Get a CGP or an alternative book.
Reply 18
I did OCR. None of the textbooks or revision guides were great, so I looked through all and picked the best bits. But really, none of them were especially helpful so it was hard to know what you needed to know and what had been left out of the textbooks/ revision guides.
To have a more specific summary of what you need to learn, print off the specification for your course and make notes under each point. This is the only real way to cover everything. But at A Level, especially for OCR, you're left a lot on your own. The resources really aren't up to scratch (or weren't last year).
Original post by annaj97
I did OCR. None of the textbooks or revision guides were great, so I looked through all and picked the best bits. But really, none of them were especially helpful so it was hard to know what you needed to know and what had been left out of the textbooks/ revision guides.
To have a more specific summary of what you need to learn, print off the specification for your course and make notes under each point. This is the only real way to cover everything. But at A Level, especially for OCR, you're left a lot on your own. The resources really aren't up to scratch (or weren't last year).

Which subjects did you study?

Quick Reply

Latest