The Student Room Group

Do I apply to medical school?

I have always aspired to be a doctor, it's my childhood dream blah blah blah... I thought I was on the right track as I achieved 7A*s at GCSE and 5As. However I have struggled throughout A Levels this year.

Due to A Levels changing, my college created their own mock exams for the now linear subjects (Chemistry, Biology etc). I achieved Cs in Chemistry and Biology and an A in Psychology. I have no idea what to do as I know being predicted Bs in the science subjects is not enough.

Do I risk doing UKCAT and applying with very little chance of getting in? Or shall I be realistic and give up on this idea and pursue a different, less competitive career?

Any advice or opinions are welcome, I'm desperate with very little time!! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexdak0ta
I have always aspired to be a doctor, it's my childhood dream blah blah blah... I thought I was on the right track as I achieved 7A*s at GCSE and 5As. However I have struggled throughout A Levels this year.

Due to A Levels changing, my college created their own mock exams for the now linear subjects (Chemistry, Biology etc). I achieved Cs in Chemistry and Biology and an A in Psychology. I have no idea what to do as I know being predicted Bs in the science subjects is not enough.

Do I risk doing UKCAT and applying with very little chance of getting in? Or shall I be realistic and give up on this idea and pursue a different, less competitive career?

Any advice or opinions are welcome, I'm desperate with very little time!! :frown:

I'd recommend taking a gap year and applying to medicine with your final grades if they are good enough :smile:
Reply 2
Good idea, thank you! Do you think it would be worth applying for a different university course this year just in case I don't get the final grades for medicine?
Good idea, thank you! Do you think it would be worth applying for a different university course this year just in case I don't get the final grades for medicine?

You could definitely do that :yep:

Perhaps biomed or similar, as it will likely contain a lot of your interests and would be a good degree if you wanted to go into graduate medicine? :h:
Reply 4
Original post by A-LJLB
You could definitely do that :yep:

Perhaps biomed or similar, as it will likely contain a lot of your interests and would be a good degree if you wanted to go into graduate medicine? :h:

Brilliant, thank you so much!:h:
Brilliant, thank you so much!:h:

No problem! Good luck!
Reply 6
If you are set on medicine, i think it is best to sit the UKCAT this year, and apply this year with the idea in your mind that you will not get any offers or maybe no interviews. Atleast you have had practise of doing the UKCAT and BMAT, and writing up a personal statement.

Just act as you would normally with the intention of taking a gap year.
Reply 7
Original post by soLit
If you are set on medicine, i think it is best to sit the UKCAT this year, and apply this year with the idea in your mind that you will not get any offers or maybe no interviews. Atleast you have had practise of doing the UKCAT and BMAT, and writing up a personal statement.

Just act as you would normally with the intention of taking a gap year.

That's a good idea, I'm just concerned as some universities only allow you to apply to medicine there once
That's a good idea, I'm just concerned as some universities only allow you to apply to medicine there once

I honestly wouldn't apply to medicine this year... There is really no point. Just work really hard and maybe do what I suggested :h:
Reply 9
Original post by A-LJLB
I honestly wouldn't apply to medicine this year... There is really no point. Just work really hard and maybe do what I suggested :h:

I am leaning more towards your idea, although I'm tempted to take my UKCAT and, if I do well perhaps try and persuade my teachers to predict me higher?? I don't know, I'm just scared I won't make the right decision
I am leaning more towards your idea, although I'm tempted to take my UKCAT and, if I do well perhaps try and persuade my teachers to predict me higher?? I don't know, I'm just scared I won't make the right decision

Your UKCAT score won't change the predictions from your teachers, however you could still take it for practice? You don't have to apply this year for medicine to take the UKCAT, and it would enable you to see where you stand and what your strong and weak points are, thus whether to apply to UKCAT heave med schools or not :h:
Reply 11
Original post by A-LJLB
Your UKCAT score won't change the predictions from your teachers, however you could still take it for practice? You don't have to apply this year for medicine to take the UKCAT, and it would enable you to see where you stand and what your strong and weak points are, thus whether to apply to UKCAT heave med schools or not :h:

Good point, thanks so much for your advice it's been great help

Pester your teachers to hell to predict you AAA. I've known people with AS grades worse than yours that were on modular that got offers. Your AS grades don't count, and many universities don't consider if you ask them. Your previous academic history says your capable so just make a huge effort in lessons in the start of the year so that they will change their minds and give you AAA.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Pester your teachers to hell to predict you AAA. I've known people with AS grades worse than yours that were on modular that got offers. Your AS grades don't count, and many universities don't consider if you ask them. Your previous academic history says your capable so just make a huge effort in lessons in the start of the year so that they will change their minds and give you AAA.

Your AS grades do count for getting a place though. A lot. OP knows that they won't get offers, despite how much they want to apply this year, which I can understand.

Good point, thanks so much for your advice it's been great help

Honestly, don't give up! You will get there if you really want it. Whether you take my advice or not, good luck! :h:
Original post by A-LJLB
Your AS grades do count for getting a place though. A lot. OP knows that they won't get offers, despite how much they want to apply this year, which I can understand.

Honestly, don't give up! You will get there if you really want it. Whether you take my advice or not, good luck! :h:

AS grades are no longer considered by most medical schools. That's why they've been removed from so many of their websites. But I just realised, OP didn't do AS exams, he just did mocks, so the university wouldn't actually see any AS grades. That's why, in this situation, it may be better to beg for AAA.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
AS grades are no longer considered by most medical schools. That's why they've been removed from so many of their websites. But I just realised, OP didn't do AS exams, he just did mocks, so the university wouldn't actually see any AS grades. That's why, in this situation, it may be better to beg for AAA.

IF they can persuade the teachers to predict AAA, then yes, it would be worthwhile for them to apply :h:

If not, then my advice would still stand :smile:
@alexdak0ta
Reply 16
Original post by A-LJLB
IF they can persuade the teachers to predict AAA, then yes, it would be worthwhile for them to apply :h:

If not, then my advice would still stand :smile:
@alexdak0ta

I'll see what I can do guys, thanks so much it's all really helped!

PS. im a girl:p:D
I'll see what I can do guys, thanks so much it's all really helped!

PS. im a girl:p:D

Didn't want to assume, hence why I didn't specify :wink:

Just do your best, I wish you the best of luck!
Hey, in my opinion you should apply for a different course this year and then if your grades are great then apply through a gap year. I had 8A*s at GCSE and AABB at AS, a well above average UKCAT score and I knew with my AS grades it was a gamble but unfortunately I didn't get invited to even interview and I just felt dejected throughout the entire application process. If I could redo it, I'd have applied for something else...at the end of the day I got a place for chemistry through adjustments (which I personally wanted to do instead of biomedicine and other alternatives) but it was all very stressful, especially if you think about organising halls etc and confirming a place.
Original post by Lunch@Tiffany
Hey, in my opinion you should apply for a different course this year and then if your grades are great then apply through a gap year. I had 8A*s at GCSE and AABB at AS, a well above average UKCAT score and I knew with my AS grades it was a gamble but unfortunately I didn't get invited to even interview and I just felt dejected throughout the entire application process. If I could redo it, I'd have applied for something else...at the end of the day I got a place for chemistry through adjustments (which I personally wanted to do instead of biomedicine and other alternatives) but it was all very stressful, especially if you think about organising halls etc and confirming a place.

The difference here is that she doesn't have AS levels, so her place would be based purely on predicted grades :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending