The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 12284
thanks both of you for the reply, of I'd still be wondering whats happening! And nope I can't read upside down:tongue: my camera went funny and somehow rotated the pic upside down!
when full term finishes are students expected to stay for longer, because I have a letter explaining that the normal period of residence for the 1st term is 1st Oct to 10th Dec?

Sorry, again. My previous reply was a bit messy, so I re-do it. :tongue:

What they're talking about there is 'Residential Week', not full term.

They have extra one week each just before a term starts and after a term end when students can stay in the college at (usually) extra cost.
Many students take advantage of it to do some extra work and/or to enjoy carefree, leisurely time with friends. Many sports clubs and other club/society use those weeks to have 'training camp', too.

It's entirely up to you and your various commitment (extra-curricular or work) whether you want to stay at your college in those weeks outside the full term.
The only period you have to stay in the college to 'keep terms' is during a full term.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just seen a sheet.
Maths is well hard.
Fs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 922
Original post by physicsmaths
Just seen a sheet.
Maths is well hard.
Fs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh you haven't seen anything yet :tongue:

I literally have no idea what Part II mathmos are saying when they're talking about supervision work
Original post by alow

I literally have no idea what Part II mathmos are saying when they're talking about supervision work

IB luks wel hard.
NT ang graph theory luk wicked in part II.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 924
Original post by alow

Something like this?
http://intercal.xyz/post/149844908850/light-rook-alexyar-alexyar-i-feel-like-if
Original post by vincrows
I'll await for your report with anticipation. :biggrin:

REPORT:

Turns out Clare must have mis-typed both the details of my tutor and DOS. Either that or someone else shares my name but does history and they mixed up the letters that were sent.
All's good and well now I've had the reply and know that my DOS is the actual Phys NatSci DOS and my Tutor is an AMES person.
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
REPORT:

Turns out Clare must have mis-typed both the details of my tutor and DOS. Either that or someone else shares my name but does history and they mixed up the letters that were sent.
All's good and well now I've had the reply and know that my DOS is the actual Phys NatSci DOS and my Tutor is an AMES person.

Lol
They must have someone who's really not suited to administration job or maybe they don't believe in the virtue of double-checking. :biggrin:

Good to hear it's resolved, and so quickly, too.
Hope they're sufficiently apologetic. :tongue:

Now, I'll look forward to reading your investigation report in freshers' week if you find someone with same name as yours. :biggrin:
Original post by Serine Soul
Ah, do you? I'm looking at Newnham's section on the CUSU alternative prospectus and it says they all got married on the 1st of March (which is nearing the end I guess :lol: )

Original post by EnglishMuon
actually how does that work in the Newnham case? Do all freshers have 2 mums?

I had three - I was in quite a large college fam...

As for the marriage thing, people get 'married' whenever but the ents officers have started doing little marriage ceremonies to make it 'official' - the March one was for the freshers but we also had a marriage formal in November of last year for everyone in the college! It was super cute :biggrin:
Original post by Paralove

As for the marriage thing, people get 'married' whenever but the ents officers have started doing little marriage ceremonies to make it 'official' - the March one was for the freshers but we also had a marriage formal in November of last year for everyone in the college! It was super cute :biggrin:

Remember this?
Turned out to be the girl proposing her friend to be her college husband. :biggrin:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/marriage-proposal-spelt-andy-giant-letters-backs-cambridge/story-22365498-detail/story.html
Reply 929
Original post by physicsmaths
IB luks wel hard.
NT ang graph theory luk wicked in part II.

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you having a stroke?
Original post by Paralove

3 mums :awesome:

That sounds pretty cool, so excited for all of this!
Lol
They must have someone who's really not suited to administration job or maybe they don't believe in the virtue of double-checking. :biggrin:

Good to hear it's resolved, and so quickly, too.
Hope they're sufficiently apologetic. :tongue:

Now, I'll look forward to reading your investigation report in freshers' week if you find someone with same name as yours. :biggrin:

:rofl::rofl:
Have to hand it to them, they were very prompt and apologetic (although I don't think the word 'typo' quite covers getting the completely wrong people XD)
Original post by Serine Soul
3 mums :awesome:

That sounds pretty cool, so excited for all of this!

Yep! You'll usually have at least one of your parents being in your subject (though this can't always be possible). The second years should be getting details of who their college kids are in the next week or two, and then they'll be trying to contact you (usually through facebook) to say hi. There's usually a family group chat then set up and you can see who your college sister/s are! Then in freshers week they *should* do a college family night where you either go out for food or eat together - my wife and I cooked a roast dinner!
:rofl::rofl:
Have to hand it to them, they were very prompt and apologetic (although I don't think the word 'typo' quite covers getting the completely wrong people XD)

They excel in the art of typo-ing.

...........do you wish you'd chosen other college? :tongue:
They excel in the art of typo-ing.

...........do you wish you'd chosen other college? :tongue:

Totally...

Spoiler

To be fair typos are quite commonplace in Physics so I guess I'll fit in, right??

32515-7imx2f.jpg
Totally...

Spoiler

To be fair typos are quite commonplace in Physics so I guess I'll fit in, right??

32515-7imx2f.jpg

Ooooh, did you watch bbc documentary on cern a few week ago?
I think it was on bbc2 and called 'Inside CERN' or something.
It's probably still available on iplayer, if you didn't. Was quite good. :smile:

It's going to be thrilling 3/4 yrs for,you at Clare.
You never know when and how their administration office hits you.....and what they really mean, or tried to mean. :biggrin:
History 😂 This isn't even the Tutor, my tutor is MML

Your tutor will always be in a completely different subject so that if you go to your tutor with a problem with a supervisor or your DoS (or anything course-related) then they can sort it out from a neutral perspective. You can of course go to your DoS (if they are not the problem) but if you want a completely separate person who isn't in the same faculty then that is one of the things your tutor is there for.

That and sorting out non-academic problems you might have, where the course you are doing doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
Totally...

Spoiler

32515-7imx2f.jpg

I tripped over the cable when i was there and unplugged it by accident.Screwed **** up like always.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 938
Sorry, again. My previous reply was a bit messy, so I re-do it. :tongue:

What they're talking about there is 'Residential Week', not full term.

They have extra one week each just before a term starts and after a term end when students can stay in the college at (usually) extra cost.
Many students take advantage of it to do some extra work and/or to enjoy carefree, leisurely time with friends. Many sports clubs and other club/society use those weeks to have 'training camp', too.

It's entirely up to you and your various commitment (extra-curricular or work) whether you want to stay at your college in those weeks outside the full term.
The only period you have to stay in the college to 'keep terms' is during a full term.

ah makes sense thanks! Also, how easy is it to make friends with people in other colleges? I'm not a very sociable person, but I hope that I will be able to make some close friends outside of my college?
Original post by 12284
ah makes sense thanks! Also, how easy is it to make friends with people in other colleges? I'm not a very sociable person, but I hope that I will be able to make some close friends outside of my college?

You're welcome. :smile:

I think the best and easiest way is join a club or society that's university-wide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending