The Student Room Group

Student account - Can you apply for more than one?

I applied for HSBC about 5 days ago, but the railcard from santander would be useful for me

Are they disadvantages from having more than one account?
Original post by kingLAWZA
I applied for HSBC about 5 days ago, but the railcard from santander would be useful for me

Are they disadvantages from having more than one account?

Some banks t&c's dont allow that, also multiple overdrafts could look bad on your credit report. Not worth the hassle for a free railcard.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Some banks t&c's dont allow that, also multiple overdrafts could look bad on your credit report. Not worth the hassle for a free railcard.

The thing is, I don't intend to use these cards in any shape or form, I'm using another completely separate debit card I made a couple years back for anything. These cards are purely for the benefits. I know I have to put money in, but can I take it out as soon as I get the railcard for example?
Original post by kingLAWZA
The thing is, I don't intend to use these cards in any shape or form, I'm using another completely separate debit card I made a couple years back for anything. These cards are purely for the benefits. I know I have to put money in, but can I take it out as soon as I get the railcard for example?

It doesn't matter that you don't plan on using them, you ll have opened two accounts that will be on your credit report so you ll break terms and conditions. They ll know people try and play the system so they probably won't give it to you until a bit after you ve opened the account.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
It doesn't matter that you don't plan on using them, you ll have opened two accounts that will be on your credit report so you ll break terms and conditions. They ll know people try and play the system so they probably won't give it to you until a bit after you ve opened the account.

Ok thanks,

I applied for my HSBC account but I never received any confirmation email, is this normal? It would be a week soon and they said it would be sorted in a week
I did some research on this and there is a way to open several accounts at the same time. Hassle though. If you do some research you can work it out for yourself. It only works during a certain time period though.
Reply 6
Check the terms and conditions of the two accounts, and ask Santander if you're allowed to have a student account with another bank. If you've only just opened the first account, are you able to withdraw? Sometimes they give you X days to change your mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending