The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I am an American applicant whose school has no experience with UCAS, so you need to forgive me if my questions are "silly". I am looking to study economics, and I took two Harvard courses to pursue my interest. Should I list my grades from these courses in my Personal Statement? I am asking because I haven't had access to the UCAS form so I don't know if there's a section for university courses and grades (I can't access UCAS because I don't know my school code and school doesn't start until September 7th).
Secondly, I understand that the economics course begins from the basics. Because I have already taken honors sophomore-level courses (2nd year in an American university), should I include a statement in my personal statement to explain what my plans are for the first year? When the course will be relatively basic.
And lastly, can you provide any resources to help my referee with his duties? Again, my teacher has no experience with UCAS.
Thank you very much!
Hello!

I am from Singapore and would like to ask the admissions tutors what is Cambridge's official stance on applying for a 2 year deferment?

Being a male citizen in Singapore I've got to serve my national service and that lasts a minimum of 2 years .I was wondering would that make it harder for me to apply to Cambridge? Specifically Computer Science at Churchill College since most people apply when they are 18.

Also I am self teaching CIE Further Maths in addition to my 4H2 subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics) since my school doesn't offer Further Maths. How will you view my application in lieu of the fact that I am taking exams from 2 different exam boards? (Singapore-Cambridge and CIE)

Finally, will taking a University Maths module (Linear Algebra at the National University of Singapore) strengthen my application? I haven't undertaken many opportunities to take part in Math Olympiads etc when I was younger and I am hoping that this might be a possible chance for me to shine with regard to my mathematical abilities.

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Christ's Admissions Tutor,

I would like to apply for Computer Science this year and I received mediocre results. I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Classics.

This year I took exams for 3 subjects: Maths, Further Maths, and Classics.
I averaged 90.3% UMS for Maths and Further Maths and 71% UMS for Classics.

How much weight will be given to my Classics examination?

Also, I completed a mock for my Physics in which I was the best in my school scoring 95%. Will this mark be counted if mentioned in the teacher reference?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Edit- Another question popped into mind: What score would by examination results be given according to the interviewer mark sheet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by academia153
I am applying for Law. I have 11 A* at GCSE and AAAA at AS. However, I did my AS levels in Wales where AS counts 40% towards the A level. I got 100% ums in History, 96.5% in Literature, 94% in Maths, 90% in French. Would Cambridge look at this ums and how would the UMS average be calculated? Also how strong is my application based on grades alone among applicants?

Hello and thank you for your question. You have strong grades and will be a strong candidate on paper. Your UMS average would be calculated from the best three subjects (History, English Literature and Maths). You will qualify for compulsory pooling if you are not made an offer by your original college.
Original post by ElleCee
Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to do this forum, it is so helpful.

I am just starting year 13 and will be applying for Biological Natural Sciences. I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English Literature and the EPQ for A level. I am predicted an A in English Literature but I know from conversations with various people at the Cambridge Open Day that English Literature would not be included in an offer. I am therefore considering whether I should:

a) Continue with English to A2 as originally planned.
b)Drop English and concentrate fully on my other subjects, (I am concerned this may disadvantage me against others applying with 4 or more A levels and as it is not a reformed subject I will have no AS to show for it)
c) Drop English and study Further Maths AS (if this is possible in my timetable)

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on the above and whether any one option would be considered better or worse than the rest.

Thank you for your help.

Hello and thank you for your message. You are right that English Literature is very unlikely to be part of your offer if you apply for Natural Sciences.

To answer your question, it's really up to you. I would say that it's absolutely not necessary to do FM at AS Level though it would help Mathematical Biology in Part IA seem reasonably simple.

If you wish to do English, then they are our A Levels and you should do them but only if you feel it won't impact negatively on your ability to perform at A*A*A level in your other three A Levels.
Original post by Mediokre
Hello,

I am starting year 13 and I will be applying for Economics. I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Government & Politics for A level. I am thinking about dropping Politics.

However, I've heard that some universities dislike applicants with maths, further maths and only one other A level as it is apparently too narrow. Would my application be disadvantaged if I applied with Maths, Further Maths and Economics?

In short, which would be better for my application:

A) Keeping all 4 A levels to A2
B) Dropping politics.

Or would it not matter?

Thanks for your help.

We don't mind students applying with just Maths, FM and Economics but if you want to take Politics that's fine, we aren't going to mind either way providing that you achieve A*A*A.
Does it look bad if you did maths a level in the first year (along with chemistry and physics as levels) and then do physics a2 and further maths a2 (for engineering)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, I have a few questions about medicine:

1. What is the average BMAT score of successful applicants at christ's? 2015 or 2016 statistics will be fine
2. Which sections in the BMAT is the college more concerned with? (1, 2 or 3?)
3. Even though UKCAT is not specified Cambridge, will the candidate's scores be looked at during assessment of the candidate's aptitude?
4. Will a student be at a disadvantage if he/she has less work experience than another student? Are 2 shadowing stints considered sufficient as long as a student has significant takeaways from the experience?
5. What is the number of International students studying Medicine at Christ's?

Thank you!
Hi, I am applying for CompSci at Cambridge this year.

I have already completed my Maths A-Level (and got an A* with 99% UMS) and am currently completing Further Maths, Physics and SSD.

I have 3 questions if thats ok?

1. How does already having completed my Maths affect my application?

2. Being in Northern Ireland, what UMS scores are they going to used to determine how strong an applicant am I for CompSci?

3. Is further reading necessary for CompSci or is doing programming in your spare time a worthy equivalent?

Thanks in advance :smile: and sorry if the questions have already been asked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Also, is the Singapore Integrated Program recognised in place of GCSEs? (These students are not required to sit the GCE O-Levels / GCSEs)
Original post by Lementation
Dear christs admission,

I am applying for a100 medicine with the following:

Mathematics: 300/300 UMS

Biology : 298/300 UMS

Chemistry paper 1 : 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 56, B boundary being 49)
Chemistry paper 2 : 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 52, B boundary being 45)

Physics paper 1: 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 46, B boundary being 40)
Physics paper 2: 57/70 raw marks (A boundary being 45, B boundary being 40)

My questions are:
1: for my linear subjects, physics and chemistry, are my raw marks high enough to be worth declaring ?
2: if they are, do I state the individual marks for each exam and the respective A boundary and B boundary? Or just A boundary or the whole boundary from A down to U.
3: how will you use the boundaries to assess how good the raw Mark is? I.e. Will you use extrapolation of the linear relationship of the grade boundaries to gauge how good the raw Mark is? By this I mean, the gap between a C (60% UMS equivalent) and a B (70% UMS equivalent) is say 5 marks, and the gap between the B and the A is 5 marks, so 90% UMS would be another 5 marks above the A boundary, and 100% UMS equivalent will be another additional 5 marks above the 90% mark. Do you assess raw marks in this manner? Or is it more holistic in the sense that, oh this candidate dropped x marks on these papers. That's not very good because he dropped X marks.
4: if I do provide these raw marks, can I upload it as an electronic transcript, along with the boundaries for my subject instead of through the reference?
5: in terms of my current academic record, on a scale of 1-10, how competitive of an applicant do you think I am currently, ignoring the bmat and interview as of now.
Is it good enough to apply to cambridge for medicine ( more in terms of my raw marks/ ability in physics and chemisy) ?

Sorry for the incredibly long post, and your help is greatly appreciated. i fully understand if you are not allowed / cannot answer some of the questions I have asked.
Thank you so much for your time!

Hello and thanks for your questions. Well done on your results they look very strong and you will be a good candidate on paper. I would encourage your referee to submit the raw marks in the UCAS reference. We will not be asking for the marks and not providing another method to collect them. I'm not going to give a mark out of ten as I don't think it's helpful to do that at this stage, suffice to say that I think you will be a strong candidate for medicine.
Original post by montgomeryclift
Hello!
I'd like to apply to Christ's for 2017 entry in History. However, I'll only turn 18 in the May of my first year. Will this be a problem for you?
Thank you!

No, providing that we think that you are good enough then we will give you an offer. We usually have one or two students a year who will turn 18 after arriving. Nice to know that you are thinking of Christ's! :smile:
Original post by rosemondtan
Also, is the Singapore Integrated Program recognised in place of GCSEs? (These students are not required to sit the GCE O-Levels / GCSEs)

Yes.
May I ask how the raw marks will probably be used in considering an application. Is there a system in place yet or is one being developed?

Thanks
Original post by pompilius
Hello, I'm a Canadian student planning to apply for History this year.

On UCAS and the COPA I've noticed that SAT results are entered separately by subscores. For History, would scores in Reading and Writing be more relevant than Maths? I have 760 in Reading, 750 in Writing, and 670 in Maths, which produces an aggregate score lower than most other applicants. I really regret not having studied more in preparation, and now I worry that my SAT will weigh down the rest of my application.

In terms of other marks, I have good grades from my last school term and 5s in AP World History, European History, and Art History (all self-studied). This year I expect my school marks to stay in the high 90s, and I'm planning to self-study English Lit, French, and German as well. Would I be a competitive applicant on paper? Of course, I know that the PS, teacher reference, subject assessment and interviews are also very important.

Thanks!

(This is just because I'm curious: Do college pets just wander around college grounds all day?)

The SATs are less important than your AP results, which is what we make offers on and with 3 APs at 5s already you will be a good candidate. The SATs won' weigh down your application unduly, especially as reading and writing are well over 700.

Rocket wanders around where she wants but she spend a good part of the day in the Admissions Office.
Original post by TommyA
Hi Dr Spencer,

I'm a Northern Ireland student thinking of applying for Economics.

Results to date:
Maths (92% UMS in AS; 86% in A2)
History (94% UMS)
Latin (88% UMS)

I will complete History and Latin A2 this year plus Further Maths AS and A2.

I have seen the sample pre-interview tests on the Economics subject pages but wondered if there were any other examples of the Mathematics MCQs. From my research on-line, the standard of the questions is higher than A level or the Senior Maths Challenge whilst the format is unlike STEP - does you know what the questions are based upon and whether there are any other sample questions that I could use for practice purposes?

Finally, many thanks for taking the time to provide so much useful information.

Hello and thanks for your question. I can't tell you more about the Economics assessment than is on the website and I haven't been involved in its development. Sorry.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thank you for your question. You have strong grades and will be a strong candidate on paper. Your UMS average would be calculated from the best three subjects (History, English Literature and Maths). You will qualify for compulsory pooling if you are not made an offer by your original college.

Will I qualify for compulsory pooling irrespective of my performance in the Cambridge law test? And what exactly is compulsory pooling?
Hi, I'm back at it again with the same questions. Sorry lol, I'm just crazily confused and I'm not getting anywhere. This is my last question about Physics lol.

If I take Physics at AS and get an A but I decide to drop it at A2, does it even mean anything? Since it's linear, I have got no AS grade (or do I?) and I might get an offer (let's say all my Maths and Further Maths UMS is perfect) but I'll forget the Physics content I learnt when I go to uni because it was 1 year ago? So, I don't even know why doing Physics at AS means anything :s-smilie: other than it helps the admissions tutor understand the candidate is good at Physics and has the ability to learn and understand it? :s-smilie:

PS: I wish there were other admission tutors for other universities on TSR so I wouldn't have to piss you off with these questions :frown:... sorry!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Christ's Admissions,

So I'm applying for economics this year and I've noticed that AS maths and further maths requires 6 modules, and so most people will therefore only have done 6 modules already. My school got me to do 7 instead, which means due to the nature of averages my '7th' module hinders my maths UMS. Should I still include all 7 modules on the SAQ (this UMS average being 97.7), or leave one out so I have the same amount as most other people (this new average being 98.5)? Essentially, what I'd like to know is whether having 7 modules rather than 6 in my average is more beneficial than having the extra 0.8 UMS. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending