The Student Room Group

which cambridge college for economics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
Right. Thank you for the correction regarding Queens'. :smile:
However, whether you enter ballot individually or as a group is not to do with whether you can live in the college for three years or not.
All colleges guarantee accommodation at least for three years, and many of them for the duration of the course.
And at many colleges, you usually enter a ballot for a part of accommodation,,whether it's a corridor (or a part of) or a house, so,that you can occupy it with your friends you want to live together.
In some colleges, one person enter the ballot to represent the group (handy if he/she got a first as they have a priority vote) or as a group.
It is possible to enter a ballot on your own to get one available room, but not sure many people actually do it......

By in college I meant on the actual college site as opposed to in other owned college buildings - sorry if that wasn't clear
Original post by NinjaPandaa
By in college I meant on the actual college site as opposed to in other owned college buildings - sorry if that wasn't clear

I know exactly what you meant, and my reply still stands.
Noticed I used a term 'accommodation", not 'college' ? :wink:
Original post by hangrylady88
Clearly you love your college!!! Hahahahaha!! Thanks for the stats link! How's Pembroke like? The accommodation and atmosphere?

Pembroke is lovely :smile: I'm not there yet though! I have a differed offer for entry in 2017. However, it has beautiful buildings, friendly porters, delicious food, a wonderful pastoral system and is in a great location.
Original post by Platopus
Pembroke is lovely :smile: I'm not there yet though! I have a differed offer for entry in 2017. However, it has beautiful buildings, friendly porters, delicious food, a wonderful pastoral system and is in a great location.

My daughter said Pembroke's food at formal was the best. And she had formals in majority of colleges. :smile:
My daughter said Pembroke's food at formal was the best. And she had formals in majority of colleges. :smile:

Oooh then I look forward to the formals. And do you mean "best" as in a term of praise, or literally "best" out of all the colleges? If it is the latter, then I'm impressed! I hear good things about their brunches, too.
Oooh then I look forward to the formals. And do you mean "best" as in a term of praise, or literally "best" out of all the colleges? If it is the latter, then I'm impressed! I hear good things about their brunches, too.

She came from a food-obsessed family :tongue: and we've always enjoyed eating out.
So, naturally, her resolution when she started at Cambridge was to eat formal at every college.
She didn't quite accomplished it, but she ate at most of them.
She said the quality of cooking (creativity of menu, presentation, flavour) was far the best among the colleges you had a formal at. :smile:

It seems weekend brunches are quite good at many colleges.
She and her friends enjoyed their college's waffle with all the trimmings on Saturdays and never missed it. Even their rowing training on Saturday was scheduled around it. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
She came from a food-obsessed family :tongue: and we've always enjoyed eating out.
So, naturally, her resolution when she started at Cambridge was to eat formal at every college.
She didn't quite accomplished it, but she ate at most of them.
She said the quality of cooking (creativity of menu, presentation, flavour) was far the best among the colleges you had a formal at. :smile:

It seems weekend brunches are quite good at many colleges.
She and her friends enjoyed their college's waffle with all the trimmings on Saturdays and never missed it. Even their rowing training on Saturday was scheduled around it. :biggrin:

I am impressed. That's high praise indeed! Your daughter should have written a guide to the formals at each college and rated them :tongue:
I am impressed. That's high praise indeed! Your daughter should have written a guide to the formals at each college and rated them :tongue:

I'm sure she'd have happily done it .....if they'd paid for her.
Formals cost money! :tongue:

And The Tab occasionally does 'Which formal?' type articles, too, so that's covered. :wink: .......though some of their articles demand a few pinches of salt......:tongue:
Reply 28

Good idea!

:poke: @vincrows (or daughter :wink: )
Thanks for everyone's advice!! All so helpful. :smile: I know this is quite out of nowhere but, is it common to apply for economics & management at oxford and pure econs at other unis?? If so, how much of the personal statement should be about management?
Reply 30
Original post by hangrylady88
Thanks for everyone's advice!! All so helpful. :smile: I know this is quite out of nowhere but, is it common to apply for economics & management at oxford and pure econs at other unis?? If so, how much of the personal statement should be about management?

This is a Cambridge thread :wink:

For Cambridge courses they are quite used to seeing PSs that aren't specific to the Cambridge course, they have the SAQ where you can provide additional info about yourself just for Cambridge.

I don't know how the other place deals with it. But I imagine it's not a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply