The Student Room Group

Vectors C4

For Part c, I had to look at the Mark scheme as I didn't get the answer, and whilst I understand what it's done, I would like to know more tips to get to the answer, as I think if you gave me another similar problem, I wouldn't have the 'inspiration' to get to the answer? (If u get what I mean)
Reply 1
To show that VTA is a straight line you will need to show that VA=k(VT) \vec{VA} = k(\vec{VT}) where k k is a scalar constant.
Maybe let VF=3a \vec{VF}= 3\mathbf{a} and MF=4b \vec{MF} = 4\mathbf{b} .
To show that VTA is a straight line, you are showing that the points V, T and A are collinear.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
To show that VTA is a straight line you will need to show that VA=k(VT) \vec{VA} = k(\vec{VT}) where k k is a scalar constant.
Maybe let VF=3a \vec{VF}= 3\mathbf{a} and MF=4b \vec{MF} = 4\mathbf{b} .
To show that VTA is a straight line, you are showing that the points V, T and A are collinear.

Didn't realise how simple this actually is... So if we think away from this problem but more into exam questions, for this type of problem to show certain points are a straight line, would you always try and show they are colinear and multiplied by a constant?
Original post by Xphoenix
Didn't realise how simple this actually is... So if we think away from this problem but more into exam questions, for this type of problem to show certain points are a straight line, would you always try and show they are colinear and multiplied by a constant?

Yes. If two or more points lie on the same line then it is a fact that they are co-linear.
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Yes. If two or more points lie on the same line then it is a fact that they are co-linear.

Thanks, Problem solved! Won't let me give you +rep ahaha but know your help is fully appreciated.

Thanks to the person with initial answer too!

Quick Reply

Latest