The Student Room Group

My chances of getting onto the MML course at Cambridge...PLEASE HELP!!

Ok, so I'm planning on applying to Cambridge for the 2017 entry to study MML (French and Spanish from post-A level) and I received my AS results last week:

French-A-89%
Spanish A-81% (I am applying for a re-mark because I have been getting nearly 100% all year)
English Language and Literature-A (UMS not available)
History-A (UMS not available)
Russian-A(95%UMS)

I got 8A*s and 5As at GCSE, have numerous language-related work experience placements under my belt, have a subject award in English as the top English student in my year group and have done a fairly good amount of extra reading. I go to a state grammar school, have a high household income but live in an area where virtually NO ONE has been to uni and English is not my first language since I moved to England when I was young. I know this is a pretty brief description, but what are my chances of getting an offer(roughly)? I would be very interested to know bc I'm getting quite apprehensive about this NGL...
Reply 1
Original post by AnnietheGrannie
I would be very interested to know bc I'm getting quite apprehensive about this NGL...

Best to ask the AT in here after the Bank Holiday

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242
Ask an Admissions Tutor IX, 4th August - 2nd September

But, I'd say you would make a competitive candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi AnnietheGrannie, great to see another MML candidate (NO ONE is interested in languages in my area... there were four people in my French AS class and two of them hated it with a passion approaching xenophobia). I got French A (99% UMS), English Literature A (97%), History A (unknown but can't be THAT high as one paper I got a B), Politics B (almost an A and may be remarked but still does it make a massive difference considering my actual language scores?)

Maybe I should do another thread for my grades, I'm not sure. I also come from an area with very low progression to higher education (hence me getting into Oxford UNIQ summer school) but a relatively high family income.
As jneill said, ask on the AT thread. I'm a current MML student, 3rd year so about to start my year abroad, doing French and Spanish (Spanish from ab initio, though). If you have any questions about the course, let me know :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Worth a shot.
Ok, so I'm planning on applying to Cambridge for the 2017 entry to study MML (French and Spanish from post-A level) and I received my AS results last week:

French-A-89%
Spanish A-81% (I am applying for a re-mark because I have been getting nearly 100% all year)
English Language and Literature-A (UMS not available)
History-A (UMS not available)
Russian-A(95%UMS)

I got 8A*s and 5As at GCSE, have numerous language-related work experience placements under my belt, have a subject award in English as the top English student in my year group and have done a fairly good amount of extra reading. I go to a state grammar school, have a high household income but live in an area where virtually NO ONE has been to uni and English is not my first language since I moved to England when I was young. I know this is a pretty brief description, but what are my chances of getting an offer(roughly)? I would be very interested to know bc I'm getting quite apprehensive about this NGL...

Original post by pamplemousse.
Hi AnnietheGrannie, great to see another MML candidate (NO ONE is interested in languages in my area... there were four people in my French AS class and two of them hated it with a passion approaching xenophobia). I got French A (99% UMS), English Literature A (97%), History A (unknown but can't be THAT high as one paper I got a B), Politics B (almost an A and may be remarked but still does it make a massive difference considering my actual language scores?)

Maybe I should do another thread for my grades, I'm not sure. I also come from an area with very low progression to higher education (hence me getting into Oxford UNIQ summer school) but a relatively high family income.

Hi guys, I'm an MMLer going into my second year, and both of those sets of grades look more than good enough to get an offer.

AnnietheGrannie, if your application is going to include Russian I would be absolutely stunned if you didn't get an offer with those grades, and likewise pamplemousse if your application will include French you will surely get one. (Though the new admissions test is another potential barrier I honestly can't comment on that as I know nothing about it.)

My AS grades were 5 x an average of 90% UMS, and I managed to get in. That is about what they are looking for, give or take a few percentage points. I had also totally forgotten England was in the process of scrapping UMS scores that will make these judgement calls a lot harder in future.
Reply 7
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I had also totally forgotten England was in the process of scrapping UMS scores that will make these judgement calls a lot harder in future.

Hence the new admissions assessments (to some extent anyway).
Hi guys, I'm an MMLer going into my second year, and both of those sets of grades look more than good enough to get an offer.

AnnietheGrannie, if your application is going to include Russian I would be absolutely stunned if you didn't get an offer with those grades, and likewise pamplemousse if your application will include French you will surely get one. (Though the new admissions test is another potential barrier I honestly can't comment on that as I know nothing about it.)

My AS grades were 5 x an average of 90% UMS, and I managed to get in. That is about what they are looking for, give or take a few percentage points. I had also totally forgotten England was in the process of scrapping UMS scores that will make these judgement calls a lot harder in future.

Hi Saracen's Fez, so even with my average score of 88% at AS does that mean that i may still have a chance? I intend to resit one module which was the module in spanish that brought my score down to a very low A-do you know if they would be fine with me doing that? I think i wiuld have to mention that i am resitting a module on my SAQ...
Original post by jneill
Hence the new admissions assessments (to some extent anyway).

Though they are of little use in deciding whether or not you will be able to put in a competitive application when you apply. Useful for them, less useful for the student.

Hi Saracen's Fez, so even with my average score of 88% at AS does that mean that i may still have a chance? I intend to resit one module which was the module in spanish that brought my score down to a very low A-do you know if they would be fine with me doing that? I think i wiuld have to mention that i am resitting a module on my SAQ...

Absolutely, yes, you have a chance. What was the Spanish module in question? I'm pretty sure you have to let them know on the SAQ (whatever format that will now take) and it really depends whether you want to do a combination of your three languages (plus ab initio if that takes your fancy) than includes Spanish. If not, I cannot foresee any problem at all, if you do then it may disadvantage you but I imagine the rest of your grades more than redeem you.
Reply 10
Though they are of little use in deciding whether or not you will be able to put in a competitive application when you apply. Useful for them, less useful for the student.

Yes true, UMS was a helpful measure for applicants (and Cambridge) but people did (do!) get hung up on needing to average 99, etc.
[QUOTE="Fez;67377834" Saracen's="Saracen's"]Though they are of little use in deciding whether or not you will be able to put in a competitive application when you apply. Useful for them, less useful for the student.

Absolutely, yes, you have a chance. What was the Spanish module in question? I'm pretty sure you have to let them know on the SAQ (whatever format that will now take) and it really depends whether you want to do a combination of your three languages (plus ab initio if that takes your fancy) than includes Spanish. If not, I cannot foresee any problem at all, if you do then it may disadvantage you but I imagine the rest of your grades more than redeem you.[/QUOTE

Well i intend to study spanish and french from post a2 and the module concerned was the reading/listening/ writing paper in which i greatly underperformed in my exam compared to how i was doing all year in class, getting basically full marks (which i hope comes across in my reference). I spoke to my spanish teacher and she said that i am almost guaranteed to get an a* in spanish at a2 provided i retake that module (since spanish isnt a reformed subject)
Well i intend to study spanish and french from post a2 and the module concerned was the reading/listening/ writing paper in which i greatly underperformed in my exam compared to how i was doing all year in class, getting basically full marks (which i hope comes across in my reference). I spoke to my spanish teacher and she said that i am almost guaranteed to get an a* in spanish at a2 provided i retake that module (since spanish isnt a reformed subject)

Yeah, I agree with her. :smile:

I think you stand a very good chance of getting an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest