The Student Room Group

Do my parents charge me too much rent?

Hi everyone,

I know this has been posted a few times but I wanted an opinion on my own situation as a lot of my friends tell me I'm charged too much rent.

I'm 19, and neither of my parents work - as far as I'm aware, my Mum receives DLA due to her mental disorder, my Dad receives a Carer's Allowance for looking after her. They receive Child Benefit for 1 child, and I am unsure if either of them also receive unemployment benefits.

When I sent off my student finance, their earnings came to around £14,500 a year.

I currently pay £225 a month but am on a zero hour contract so sometimes this can be half of my pay.

I'm going to be starting a new job this September, 40 hours a week at a rate of 7.80, which would leave me with around £1248 a month. My dad says when I am earning this I will be paying £300 a month. On top of this I pay for my own mobile contract (£18 a month) and travel expenses (£55 a month). My brother pays the same amount of rent, so they are in total receiving £600 a month from us.

I don't like talking to my Dad about it as he gets angry too fast and is very stubborn, so we can barely discuss it, but am I being charged too much?

If I am working 40 hours a week, will I be costing £300 to provide for? Any inputs will be useful. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
300 a month is nothing compared to what you pay to a landlord.

This is good experience to manage your money for when you leave home. Also try to get a Saturday job for some extra money but I don't think it's too necessary. If you say your Dad is strict then not a lot you can do. As I said, you'll learn from it to manage your money and not spend it like crazy so it's probably a good thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you joking?!?!?? That's ridiculous in my opinion. My mum is also the same as your mum, out of work and under the DLA. However my dad works and brings in around £400 per week before taxs come off. - and I don't pay rent, I'm only 16, but my 19 year old sister pays £12 a week (so £48 a month - it used to be £10 a week) and she earns £700 a month. So of course all situations are different, and your parents really may need all that money from you but £600 from you and your brother?!? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day. Your parents shouldn't take that much off you in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
300 a month is nothing compared to what you pay to a landlord.

This is good experience to manage your money for when you leave home. Also try to get a Saturday job for some extra money but I don't think it's too necessary. If you say your Dad is strict then not a lot you can do. As I said, you'll learn from it to manage your money and not spend it like crazy so it's probably a good thing.

I agree
Reply 4
Try dropping hints that you are planing to move out. Mention the rent price for places you are looking at.
If they question you about it then say you have to move you sometime, and if your rent will be increasing at home you may as well move out now.
See if they back down and lower the rent
I think £300 is a bit expensive, although if you did move out you would probably end up paying even more to your landlord. Maybe try and discuss the rent with both of your parents and see if they would go down to £280 or £290 or something. Otherwise you are probably better off staying with your parents as you will struggle to rent out your own place for less than £300 a month, you will end up paying more .
Let's put it this way when I start uni in September my mum who is studying a degree as is my stepdad will loose £70 a week in child benefits from me.
Do they own the house? If so, yes that is excessive imo.

If they rent, find out how much they pay or will likely to be paying, and see if £600 of the total is excessive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does that £600 cover all bills for the house or do you pay for your own food electricity and gas
All your shopping is included in that too, I take it? You're gonna be spending a LOT more than that living on your own if so.
£300 is more than reasonable, that's not even £90 pw. Good luck finding a place for that much in the private rental market.
It's roughly £75pw per person by the sounds of it that covers rent gas electricity water council tax home broadband/tv and food that's a brilliant price
Original post by lightfagami
Hi everyone,

I know this has been posted a few times but I wanted an opinion on my own situation as a lot of my friends tell me I'm charged too much rent.

I'm 19, and neither of my parents work - as far as I'm aware, my Mum receives DLA due to her mental disorder, my Dad receives a Carer's Allowance for looking after her. They receive Child Benefit for 1 child, and I am unsure if either of them also receive unemployment benefits.

When I sent off my student finance, their earnings came to around £14,500 a year.

I currently pay £225 a month but am on a zero hour contract so sometimes this can be half of my pay.

I'm going to be starting a new job this September, 40 hours a week at a rate of 7.80, which would leave me with around £1248 a month. My dad says when I am earning this I will be paying £300 a month. On top of this I pay for my own mobile contract (£18 a month) and travel expenses (£55 a month). My brother pays the same amount of rent, so they are in total receiving £600 a month from us.

I don't like talking to my Dad about it as he gets angry too fast and is very stubborn, so we can barely discuss it, but am I being charged too much?

If I am working 40 hours a week, will I be costing £300 to provide for? Any inputs will be useful. Thanks.

i pay my parents £500 a month you're getting a good deal but I do earn £10,000 a month on average so you do pay more than me in percentile terms but it a lot less than a landlord would ask
Doesn't say location, number of bedrooms or anything but if course, through magic, we will all know average rent in your area

I'm going to be starting a new job this September, 40 hours a week at a rate of 7.80

:hmmmm2:

So, are you going to uni or not?
Why do parents take money from their kids, I would give my kids money and make sure they save enough for a house deposit
(edited 7 years ago)
If you can invest the money, you will do better. If your parents can cover basic living costs for you, you can invest that money and get good returns.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamesthehustler
i pay my parents £500 a month you're getting a good deal but I do earn £10,000 a month on average so you do pay more than me in percentile terms but it a lot less than a landlord would ask

Why do you still live with your parents if you earn that much?
Hi everyone,

In simple terms, yes, you will most likely cost £300 a month to provide for. The thing is, your parents no longer have to legally provide for you. You are an adult now. In terms of your parents benefits they will probably have received full housing and council tax benefit but as you all grow up the amount they receive will be reduced. Unfortunately, your parents are passing that cost onto you and your brother. With two non-dependant adults living with them it will be costly to pay the rent and council tax on benefits. Looks like they are providing you both with food, rent, electric etc so I would say £300 is likely the cost.

It probably isn't a case of being charged "two much" but a necessity. Your dad probably wishes he could support you still but can't (due to benefits) this may be why he is unwilling to talk about it.

In my humble opinion... try to focus on the positives of this. You are 19 and already on £1,248. That is brilliant starting position. Net of tax you are looking at £1,100, less rent, phone and travel that is £727c. That is plenty.

- Try and save as much of that as you can - if you saved half for a year that would be about £4,200, in two years £8,400. Enough for a deposit for your own home.
- This is the cheapest you will be ever able to live so make the most of it.
- You will be helping your parents out a great deal. They honestly didn't ask for a rough card and living on benefits is a horrible position to be in. A year with you at home would be very beneficial to you all.
- £300 really isn't that much and you will be getting food, a home, company, gas, electric and internet.
- At 19 you probably now earn more than your parents combined. You shouldn't ask them to support you at this point. Own two feet. Adulthood is great. Embrace it.
Original post by bethanyjx
Are you joking?!?!?? That's ridiculous in my opinion. My mum is also the same as your mum, out of work and under the DLA. However my dad works and brings in around £400 per week before taxs come off. - and I don't pay rent, I'm only 16, but my 19 year old sister pays £12 a week (so £48 a month - it used to be £10 a week) and she earns £700 a month. So of course all situations are different, and your parents really may need all that money from you but £600 from you and your brother?!? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day. Your parents shouldn't take that much off you in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gah you are so young.

His parents will not be getting much in the way of benefits and both adult children are working. Unfortunately, £600 probably won't make a dent in the costs of running a household for 4 adults and a child.

Latest

Trending

Trending