The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Seafront Accom at Aber!!!!!!!!!!!

I applied through clearing and got a single room in the seafront flats ( I wanted ensuite:frown:(((( I'm already dreading the hike up the hill FML

I've got a few questions if any amazing people want to help me out.

1. How many people normally share the toilets? is there more than one? I'm most worried about this since I really don't wanna share.

2. Is there a bus service that would save me the painful hike up the hill and is it worth getting a yearly bus pass?

3. Kinda unrelated but how diverse is the town? in terms of ethnicity etc.

4. I'm studying Criminology with applied psychology and would love it if anyone can tell me their experience with this course?
1) I believe Seafront is flats of 6 or 8 so maximum 8, almost certainly more than one toilet but it's likely you will be sharing. Don't worry about it though, I was in a flat of 14 in Penbryn with 4 toilets (2 bathrooms) and never had to queue. We divided it so 1 bathroom was for the girls and one for the guys.

2) Yes, there are many bus services all around the town and up the hill, the most important for students being the 03, the 301 and the 302. There are two bus stops for the 03 on the seafront, so no excuses haha :smile: The 03 goes around town then up to Penglais campus and back, the 301 starts at the bus station, goes to Penglais then to Llanbadarn campus, down through Llanbadarn itself, to Morrisons, through Penparcau and back to the town centre. The 302 does this route in reverse, important if you're on Llanbadarn campus!

The bus pass is definitely worth it, free travel on all MWT buses around Aber and discounts on bus travel out of town. A ticket from town to campus costs £1.10 (used to be £1, sad times) so if you're gonna use it more than a couple of times a week, the card pays for itself.

3) Not super ethnically diverse. Mostly very Welsh. The diversity is increased 100x during term time due to the large numbers of international students.

4) Can't help with Criminology sorry.

But I will say that you will love it in Aber, and especially on seafront, it's a beautiful place to live!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
I'm going to apply for the upcoming year, I considered the seafront accommodation but then I saw a number of these videos during the winter.

[video="youtube;v0OKbJaLsk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OKbJaLsk4[/video]
Original post by EuskaltelEuskadi
1)
The bus pass is definitely worth it, free travel on all MWT buses around Aber and discounts on bus travel out of town. A ticket from town to campus costs £1.10 (used to be £1, sad times) so if you're gonna use it more than a couple of times a week, the card pays for itself.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm assuming you're a current student; I'm going to be staying in Rosser this year, and none of my classes will be in the Llanbadarn campus as far as I know, do you reckon that getting the bus pass is still worth it, to get from the uni to the town? I'm fine walking down but when I went there in March it was a bit of pain walking up to the Penglais campus.

Thanks!
Original post by TishoHristov
I'm going to apply for the upcoming year, I considered the seafront accommodation but then I saw a number of these videos during the winter.

[video="youtube;v0OKbJaLsk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OKbJaLsk4[/video]

That looks quite fun to be honest lol
Reply 5
1) I believe Seafront is flats of 6 or 8 so maximum 8, almost certainly more than one toilet but it's likely you will be sharing. Don't worry about it though, I was in a flat of 14 in Penbryn with 4 toilets (2 bathrooms) and never had to queue. We divided it so 1 bathroom was for the girls and one for the guys.

2) Yes, there are many bus services all around the town and up the hill, the most important for students being the 03, the 301 and the 302. There are two bus stops for the 03 on the seafront, so no excuses haha :smile: The 03 goes around town then up to Penglais campus and back, the 301 starts at the bus station, goes to Penglais then to Llanbadarn campus, down through Llanbadarn itself, to Morrisons, through Penparcau and back to the town centre. The 302 does this route in reverse, important if you're on Llanbadarn campus!

3) Not super ethnically diverse. Mostly very Welsh. The diversity is increased 100x during term time due to the large numbers of international students.

4) Can't help with Criminology sorry.

But I will say that you will love it in Aber, and especially on seafront, it's a beautiful place to live!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give a detailed answer:colondollar: Most of my
worries are gone now.The bus pass is definitely for me I'm so happy ive been
saved from the Hill :h:I had spent 8 years ( secondary/sixth form) trekking
massive hills to get to school. I'm super excited to move there in three
weeks :banana::banana::banana:
Reply 6

HAHHAH I saw those two an dit scared the shits out of me ( still does :colondollar:) But I
still want to live there cause being close to the sea is amazing.
Original post by kwii101
Thank you so much for taking the time to give a detailed answer:colondollar: Most of my
worries are gone now.The bus pass is definitely for me I'm so happy ive been
saved from the Hill :h:I had spent 8 years ( secondary/sixth form) trekking
massive hills to get to school. I'm super excited to move there in three
weeks :banana::banana::banana:

you're welcome :smile: I'm excited for fresher's week too, my 4th and final one :O

Original post by Bonoahx
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm assuming you're a current student; I'm going to be staying in Rosser this year, and none of my classes will be in the Llanbadarn campus as far as I know, do you reckon that getting the bus pass is still worth it, to get from the uni to the town? I'm fine walking down but when I went there in March it was a bit of pain walking up to the Penglais campus.

Thanks!

no probs :smile: I lived on campus in 1st year and rarely used the bus, as all lectures are within easy walking distance (like 5 mins max, 10ish if you're in PJM or Penglais Farm). the only time you might want the bus is if you go food shopping to lidl or morrisons (in which case £1.10 is not a huge expenditure) and at the end of a night out I suggest to grab some people to share a taxi with (taxis are usually £3- £4 to go anywhere in Aber before midnight, goes up a bit after that).

they normally discount the bus pass after christmas to like £40, so you can see how it goes 1st semester and then decide if you want it.

ooh boy, I remember those storms. they evacuated the whole seafront and postponed our exams by a week. good times! (it really was a once in a lifetime thing, it's never normally that bad so don't worry if you're going into Alex halls)
(edited 7 years ago)
y
no probs :smile: I lived on campus in 1st year and rarely used the bus, as all lectures are within easy walking distance (like 5 mins max, 10ish if you're in PJM or Penglais Farm). the only time you might want the bus is if you go food shopping to lidl or morrisons (in which case £1.10 is not a huge expenditure) and at the end of a night out I suggest to grab some people to share a taxi with (taxis are usually £3- £4 to go anywhere in Aber before midnight, goes up a bit after that).

Cool, thanks a lot!
I currently live in Seafront single as a first year, but with four people including myself. There's the bus literally a two min walk down the road that goes right into campus as others have said. We share two toilets and one shower between us, but there's never a wait as we all have diffrent timetables. Seafront is honstly not that bad, it's only a pain if there's no bus in time for your lecture or if you have a few hours before your next lecture as it takes like half hour to walk back. But I love it so far :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest