The Student Room Group

What does it mean when a highly reputable uni has low entry requirements for a partic

When the department corresponding to the course is renown, and the uni ranks well nationally and internationally, why would such a uni have entry requirements lower than its counterparts, which rank less highly/have a slighly lower quality research output, for the same course?Does it mean the course is less good? If the uni is so good, why is the course not in as much demand?The course I'm thinking of is not a niche one, btw - it's Computer Science, for which the min. requirements are ABB at Edinburgh - a lot of other unis below it want AAA.I've achieved more than ABB so I'm asking because I want to make an informed decision.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flameskid0909
When the department corresponding to the course is renown, and the uni ranks well nationally and internationally, why would such a uni have entry requirements lower than its counterparts, which rank less highly/have a slighly lower quality research output, for the same course?Does it mean the course is less good? If the uni is so good, why is the course not in as much demand?The course I'm thinking of is not a niche one, btw - it's Computer Science, for which the min. requirements are ABB at Edinburgh - a lot of other unis below it want AAA.I've achieved more than ABB so I'm asking because I want to make an informed decision.

Two reasons.

Firstly, ABB are the minimum requirements and must be achieved in one sitting. The typical offer, ie the one most applicants receive, is AAA.

Secondly, the minimum ABB/typical AAA are for four-year degrees, which is the norm in Scotland because many students leave school at 17 not 18. If you want to enter in second year (and therefore attend for three years) the minimum requirements must be exceeded - they ask for A*AA at one sitting including both Maths and FM, along with some computing knowledge or experience.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=programme&code=G400
Original post by ageshallnot
Two reasons.

Firstly, ABB are the minimum requirements and must be achieved in one sitting. The typical offer, ie the one most applicants receive, is AAA.

Secondly, the minimum ABB/typical AAA are for four-year degrees, which is the norm in Scotland because many students leave school at 17 not 18. If you want to enter in second year (and therefore attend for three years) the minimum requirements must be exceeded - they ask for A*AA at one sitting including both Maths and FM, along with some computing knowledge or experience.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=programme&code=G400

Students in Scotland would be in the SQA Highers system rather than A levels (am I correct?) so I can understand the AABB, etc for the SQA but it doesn't explain why they wouldn't expect more from English applicants doing A levels who leave school a year later. The "must be achieved in one sitting": that applies to a lot of places with AAA requirements for this course, too.

Scottish degrees are 4 years long, with the first year not being really equivalent to the english first year. Hence the lower entry reqs.

Generally, however, entry reqs are driven by supply and demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The entry requirements don't really reflect the quality of the course. For example, Kings College London isn't actually that good for economics but they ask for A*AA.
Original post by Trapz99
The entry requirements don't really reflect the quality of the course. For example, Kings College London isn't actually that good for economics but they ask for A*AA.

Do you speak from experience (just interested)? If not, perhaps it might be tailored to students of a higher calibre. I'm not implying you're not of this calibre, btw and hope it doesn't come across that way.
Do you speak from experience (just interested)? If not, perhaps it might be tailored to students of a higher calibre. I'm not implying you're not of this calibre, btw and hope it doesn't come across that way.

It's not about calibres or not, some LSE courses are AAB, and they're still some of the best courses around. It is moreso about how many people apply to the course and how many will meet the offer. E&M and KCL are both very popular choices for UCAS applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Scottish degrees are 4 years long, with the first year not being really equivalent to the english first year. Hence the lower entry reqs.

Generally, however, entry reqs are driven by supply and demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will it affect my chances in terms of graduate schemes/internships, etc - would they look at how competitive the course I'm enrolled in is?
It's not about calibres or not, some LSE courses are AAB, and they're still some of the best courses around. It is moreso about how many people apply to the course and how many will meet the offer. E&M and KCL are both very popular choices for UCAS applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which LSE courses have an AAB requirement? Just so I can look at how in demand they might be generally compared to Computer Science.
Will it affect my chances in terms of graduate schemes/internships, etc - would they look at how competitive the course I'm enrolled in is?

Lol no one cares, just try to get to the best uni you can, get a good grade and make the most of your spare time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, lol I'm just saying based off the fact that kings only started offering the economics degree a few years ago and is asking for A*AA. I'll hopefully be applying there this year!
Lol no one cares, just try to get to the best uni you can, get a good grade and make the most of your spare time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My grades are higher than ABB so I'm questioning whether it is indeed the best one for me. I hear great things about the uni itself and the research department but the undergrad course needs to match as well.
My grades are higher than ABB so I'm questioning whether it is indeed the best one for me. I hear great things about the uni itself and the research department but the undergrad course needs to match as well.

Edinburgh's CS department is formidable and top notch, I don't think you have anything to be worried about. I'm pretty sure since they don't give out offer to everyone, they will inevitably reject people with much higher predicted grades.

I feel this is more of an ego thing for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compsci doesn't have very high entry requirements in general. Spare Imperial, UCL and oxbridge and you're pretty much looking at AAA or less.
Original post by Rabadon
Compsci doesn't have very high entry requirements in general. Spare Imperial, UCL and oxbridge and you're pretty much looking at AAA or less.

Missed out a lot of unis and also isn't true for integrated masters courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Missed out a lot of unis and also isn't true for integrated masters courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only other I can think of is Bristol and they lower it if you do fmaths.

I made the assumption one does fmaths and is applying for beng but apart from that I don't think there's a uni above AAA that I haven't mentioned.
Students in Scotland would be in the SQA Highers system rather than A levels (am I correct?) so I can understand the AABB, etc for the SQA but it doesn't explain why they wouldn't expect more from English applicants doing A levels who leave school a year later. The "must be achieved in one sitting": that applies to a lot of places with AAA requirements for this course, too.

Yes, you are correct.

Edinburgh 'only' want AAA at A-level if they get to teach you for four years. The extra year allows them to make sure you have the skills and knowledge they want you to have for the final three years, the same as Scottish students. Therefore there is less risk for them. And they get more money.

If Edinburgh only have three years to educate you, then they want you to have a higher baseline, ie A*AA etc.
Edinburgh's CS department is formidable and top notch, I don't think you have anything to be worried about. I'm pretty sure since they don't give out offer to everyone, they will inevitably reject people with much higher predicted grades.

I feel this is more of an ego thing for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's reassuring to hear. I missed my UCL offer so I'm just trying to work through my disappointment and find the next best place for me, rather than it being an ego thing (though on some level to some extent maybe it is).
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes, you are correct.

Edinburgh 'only' want AAA at A-level if they get to teach you for four years.

You mean ABB, right? Otherwise I'm hopelessly confused.
That's reassuring to hear. I missed my UCL offer so I'm just trying to work through my disappointment and find the next best place for me, rather than it being an ego thing (though on some level to some extent maybe it is).

Ah, fair, similar thing happened to me this year, just have to keep moving on with life really.

And really, if Edinburgh is your next option things could be a lot worse - I wouldn't even say you're downgrading at all really, especially not for CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending