The Student Room Group

How much should I spend on a winter coat?

I want to buy a winter coat that's good quality and really really warm (going up north for uni and not used to it being so cold!) so I was wondering how much I should spend on it? I'm not rich but not poor either... also does anyone have any suggestions of shops/websites to look on?
Original post by medleg
I want to buy a winter coat that's good quality and really really warm (going up north for uni and not used to it being so cold!) so I was wondering how much I should spend on it? I'm not rich but not poor either... also does anyone have any suggestions of shops/websites to look on?

Depends what sort of girl you are. Are you happy to spend £200 and wear this for two to three years? I have a coat and spent that much on it and it's lasted me 3 years this winter and I don't have a plan to change it
Hmm... Well it depends, are you wanting a padded winter coat ( think mountain hiking style) or a more formal winter coat? I have both and I'd definitely say spend abit more money for quality if you can afford to, so you won't need to keep re-buying.
My 'hiking style' coat cost about £60-80ish and now 4 winters old. My peacoats/wool overcoats cost between £70-£150 and are very thick and warm, some even have a detachable warmer on the inside if it's especially cold.
Reply 3
Original post by zeldusone
Depends what sort of girl you are. Are you happy to spend £200 and wear this for two to three years? I have a coat and spent that much on it and it's lasted me 3 years this winter and I don't have a plan to change it

yeah I want my coat to last a long time! thankyou :smile: so is £200 ok?
Reply 4
Original post by needle_point
Hmm... Well it depends, are you wanting a padded winter coat ( think mountain hiking style) or a more formal winter coat? I have both and I'd definitely say spend abit more money for quality if you can afford to, so you won't need to keep re-buying.
My 'hiking style' coat cost about £60-80ish and now 4 winters old. My peacoats/wool overcoats cost between £70-£150 and are very thick and warm, some even have a detachable warmer on the inside if it's especially cold.

thanks! I was thinking maybe a padded parka style thing, maybe made out of down? that would be quite expensive but really warm I reckon. last winter I had a big wool coat but I was still freezing in the winter, and that's in Devon!
Original post by medleg
yeah I want my coat to last a long time! thankyou :smile: so is £200 ok?

Definitely! And when your friends ask, give a lower price. As long as you pick something which will stay fashionable and don't mind wearing it for a minimum of two years, an investment in a good winter coat is appropriate imo :smile:
Original post by medleg
thanks! I was thinking maybe a padded parka style thing, maybe made out of down? that would be quite expensive but really warm I reckon. last winter I had a big wool coat but I was still freezing in the winter, and that's in Devon!

That will keep you really warm and if you look after it, it shouldn't rip or anything.

A style which never goes out of fashion too
Reply 7
Depends what sort of girl you are. you can even spend 500 if you want to
I'm from the north and I've bought winter coats under £100 that have lasted me years, Its really up to the brand and material you want and how well you look after them! I'd check on asos.com because they sell lots of brands and it saves you from looking on loads of websites. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
i love this game !!

you should spent £21.75*
I would like to suggest you leather coat from A1fashiongoods is best for winter.
at most...£70?
and some good places i would recommend for coats; ZARA, New look, Next, M&S, Topshop, Joules.
its ironic that you only talk like this because you're so sex-starved, but its exactly why you've never seen jugs

Quick Reply

Latest