The Student Room Group

jamestg's journey to Durham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Are you not able to do AS further maths?
Reply 41
Original post by Rajive
Are you not able to do AS further maths?

Yeah I am. I've discussed it with my teachers and they're okay with it.

I'm just worried I might try focussing too much on it, to get an A, which would lead to less time spent on C3/C4 and so I would probably miss out on an A*. I need that A* in Maths.

I'll give it some more thinking, but after getting 178/200 in my AS core modules - I'm having nightmares it could be repeated at A2 and I would miss out on an A* (and a place at uni) by 2UMS.
Congrats on your results! I got AAAB too, I'm aiming for at least A*AA and I'm thinking of Bath and Durham too! How did you choose a college? I'm having difficulty choosing one. I hope you get the grades you're aiming for. :smile:
Original post by jamestg
Yeah I am. I've discussed it with my teachers and they're okay with it.

I'm just worried I might try focussing too much on it, to get an A, which would lead to less time spent on C3/C4 and so I would probably miss out on an A*. I need that A* in Maths.

I'll give it some more thinking, but after getting 178/200 in my AS core modules - I'm having nightmares it could be repeated at A2 and I would miss out on an A* (and a place at uni) by 2UMS.

Remember... A2 is harder than AS but apparently if you work hard it's like the same lmao. Once you start understanding core maths, it all gets easy. Since you done great in C1 and C2 I'm sure you can replicate in C3 and C4 (even better) if you work harder. AS Further Maths may cause trouble. I don't think it'll impact much, but I'd stay away from it.
Reply 44
Original post by Chittesh14
Remember... A2 is harder than AS but apparently if you work hard it's like the same lmao. Once you start understanding core maths, it all gets easy. Since you done great in C1 and C2 I'm sure you can replicate in C3 and C4 (even better) if you work harder. AS Further Maths may cause trouble. I don't think it'll impact much, but I'd stay away from it.

Yeah I probably will tbh, thanks for the advice!
Reply 45
Really think I've made a lot of progress with C3 trig today :h:

Particular shoutout to @SeanFM for helping me when I got stuck!
Reply 46
Okay so since term begins tomorrow, although I'm still at home, I'll give the low down on the format of this blog.

Daily updates to keep me on my toes! At the beginning of each week I will post a 'to do list' of urgent tasks (such as complete x or revise y). At the beginning of each month, I will have bigger goals (like write my PS or apply for z work experience).

I'll get writing my week and month's goals!
Reply 47
This month's goals:
- write personal statement
- go to Bristol, Bath and Durham open days
- write CV
- apply for Credit Suisse work experience/special programme
- choose my fifth uni choice
- try and get at least 1 A* grade in homework, an essay (etc)

This week's goals:
- complete trig and functions revision
- file all my A2 work from June-July
- who knows?! I don't have much homework atm!
Reply 48
Original post by Emilypickett
Congrats on your results! I got AAAB too, I'm aiming for at least A*AA and I'm thinking of Bath and Durham too! How did you choose a college? I'm having difficulty choosing one. I hope you get the grades you're aiming for. :smile:

Agh sorry for not replying!! Thank you and congrats on yours too :biggrin:

No way?! What course? I'm thinking economics :smile:

I'm still choosing but mainly looking at Hatfield, St Chad's, St Cuthbert's, St John's, St Mary's and Castle! You?
Original post by jamestg
Yeah I probably will tbh, thanks for the advice!

Np, good luck.

Aww @SeanFM Always helping people, good boy. :colondollar::h:
Best of luck I followed your year 12 blog so I kinda feel committed to ready your year 13 one also. You work so hard I hope you get the grades you want. Ngl your motivation makes me motivated as I'm also doing A2's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
Agh sorry for not replying!! Thank you and congrats on yours too :biggrin:

No way?! What course? I'm thinking economics :smile:

I'm still choosing but mainly looking at Hatfield, St Chad's, St Cuthbert's, St John's, St Mary's and Castle! You?

Thank you! I'm applying for psychology :smile: I'm going to be self-catered so I don't have much choice of college! I am torn between Josephine Butler (gowned formals) or St Cuthbert's (pretty but no gowned formals). Sounds silly but I love the idea of wearing a gown :wink:
Reply 52
Have you found that the step up from AS core to C3 isn't that large? I feel like I'm already grasping concepts and have started exam papers.
Have you considered St.Andrews? I'm fairly certain I will be applying there to study maths.
Reply 53
Original post by alexamigo98
Best of luck I followed your year 12 blog so I kinda feel committed to ready your year 13 one also. You work so hard I hope you get the grades you want. Ngl your motivation makes me motivated as I'm also doing A2's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thank you! I'm glad to be one of your motivators! I just need some motivation myself haha. Thanks for staying with me!

Original post by Emilypickett
Thank you! I'm applying for psychology :smile: I'm going to be self-catered so I don't have much choice of college! I am torn between Josephine Butler (gowned formals) or St Cuthbert's (pretty but no gowned formals). Sounds silly but I love the idea of wearing a gown :wink:

Oooh nice! Good luck! I get what you mean though, I'm making sure I apply to a fairly old college with gowned formals. Is Josephine Butler on the hill?

Maybe I'll see you at a Durham formal! :colondollar:

Original post by Nowen
Have you found that the step up from AS core to C3 isn't that large? I feel like I'm already grasping concepts and have started exam papers.
Have you considered St.Andrews? I'm fairly certain I will be applying there to study maths.

I've found it bigger than the GCSE->AS gap. However with a bit of work it's manageable. Differentiation for me is the easiest chapter (of the ones we have done), trig is hit and miss and I really need to go through functions again eeek!

I have considered St Andrews but it's just too far up for me. Durham is the limit for me.
Reply 54
I might try something a bit different this year with work after school.

After school I'll complete any homework that needs completing before the weekend and will go through the day's content to consolidate. During the weekend, I'll do the big pieces of homework (usually assignments, essays and presentations).
Original post by jamestg
I might try something a bit different this year with work after school.

After school I'll complete any homework that needs completing before the weekend and will go through the day's content to consolidate. During the weekend, I'll do the big pieces of homework (usually assignments, essays and presentations).

That's the best way to do it. I thought you were already doing that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by Chittesh14
That's the best way to do it. I thought you were already doing that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just doing "do whatever you think needs doing" with very little structure to it. I think I need my work after school to be more structured, especially in prep for uni.
Original post by jamestg
I was just doing "do whatever you think needs doing" with very little structure to it. I think I need my work after school to be more structured, especially in prep for uni.

Yeah, I guess so lol. Just work hard and make sure you know what you're doing lol
Reply 58
Okay so this is probably the best place to post this, as I don't see a point in creating a new thread.

I'm feeling really under the weather at the moment and sixth form is getting to me quite a bit. My confidence is literally at rock bottom and right now the only way is down :frown:

I know at the end of this year I am going to be disappointed and I've set myself up too high for a big fall. I won't be applying to Cambridge and I won't be applying to any university until I've regained my confidence in the subjects I'm studying.

Therefore I'll be leaving TSR for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for supporting me and hopefully I'll be back when things are better :frown:
Original post by jamestg
Okay so this is probably the best place to post this, as I don't see a point in creating a new thread.

I'm feeling really under the weather at the moment and sixth form is getting to me quite a bit. My confidence is literally at rock bottom and right now the only way is down :frown:

I know at the end of this year I am going to be disappointed and I've set myself up too high for a big fall. I won't be applying to Cambridge and I won't be applying to any university until I've regained my confidence in the subjects I'm studying.

Therefore I'll be leaving TSR for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for supporting me and hopefully I'll be back when things are better :frown:

Don't give up, you got great AS grades and can get into loads of really good unis. Cambridge isn't everything but you can always take a gap year and apply with amazing achieved grades or you can do a Masters degree there.

I am in a similar position. I did sick in my GCSEs and thought I would be destined for Cambridge econ. But I didn't do great in my AS (unlike you!) and now I'm disappointed with myself because I know I could have applied to Cambridge or lse if I did better. But I've decided that what happened has happened and it's time to focus on the future so I'm going to try and get the best grades I can get in my A Levels and see where I go. Good luck on your applications and your A Levels!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending