The Student Room Group

I find it ridiculous when people talk down on religion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terry Tibbs
[video]https://youtu.be/uyCxrL9-C84?t=3m57s[/video]
The rise of Islam in the middle east very much spelled the death of scientific advancements there, and they haven't recovered since.

And here is that one person who think that Youtube and probably even Facebook are good sources. If you would use this on a school exam, you would fail immediately.
Lol such an intellectual response, Neil Degrasse Tyson one of the most famous and well respected Physicists in the world and you go "nah not going to take this guy seriously". Hell I don't think you even bothered to watch the video so why don't you go listen to what he has to say and come back when you seriously want to claim that this man who is probably several times smarter than you is wrong.

Except Gazhali said no such thing afaik. I could be wrong but find the reference to prove it. He's a smart guy but Tyson got it wrong here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Believe what you want.
You're kidding right? That's the weakest cop out I've ever seen haha, you know you've won when you get a religitard tier level of response.
Original post by Metalfros
And here is that one person who think that Youtube and probably even Facebook are good sources. If you would use this on a school exam, you would fail immediately.
*Sees video* "Nah not good source because I said so"
Original post by Cherub012
Except Gazhali said no such thing afaik. I could be wrong but find the reference to prove it. He's a smart guy but Tyson got it wrong here.
Prove he didn't say it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Plagioclase
I think you'll find that this is a myth and is completely incorrect.

"A myth and completely incorrect"?

Your dishonesty is boundless.

There were thriving civilisations in Arabia Felix, Egypt, or Iraq before Islam. You cannot argue with that.
Original post by Josb
"A myth and completely incorrect"?

Your dishonesty is boundless.

There were thriving civilisations in Arabia Felix, Egypt, or Iraq before Islam. You cannot argue with that.

Of course there were. For most of history the world's greatest civilizations have had their hearts in the East - this was true prior to the foundation of Islam and was true after the foundation of Islam. Civilizations flourished under Islam and perished under Islam, I don't understand where I've been dishonest.
You're kidding right? That's the weakest cop out I've ever seen haha, you know you've won when you get a religitard tier level of response.
*Sees video* "Nah not good source because I said so"
Prove he didn't say it.

"Appeal to ignorance".
Reply 86
Original post by I am Kira
This is coming from an atheists perspective:
I absoultely disagree with other atheist who mock religious people just because they don't agree with them. No I'm not a fan of religion myself but I don't mock those who choose to follow it.
I've heard things like "religion is like fairy tales" and "If I don't believe in santa, why would I believe in god"
These are incredibly ignorant and biased. I know there's alot of us vs them mentality between atheist and theists but I do not agree with any religion basher.

Then you are not an atheist, but a mere agnostic.
As far as I see it, its all down to people rather than beliefs. Many have killed in the name of religion, but so have they more so many other reasons. Faith in Theism has brought many people comfort, meaning and happiness as well as atheism has. Both sides have literally the same groups of people: those who want to convert and/or condescend others for their differing beliefs, and those who are just happy to believe what they want and let others do the same. No Anti - Theist vs Theist argument can ever be settled indefinitely as neither side will ever understand everything and be able to provide a argument or theory that does not have flaws.
In my view, there will always be questions that neither side can answer so its really a decision as to where you place your faith. Unless someone knows everything about everything and even then know WHY everything is the way that it is, then they have no right to condescend others for their beliefs, as there are convincing arguments on both sides. Either that if you don't want to then be agnostic.
Reply 88
Original post by Kyx
Then you are not an atheist, but a mere agnostic.

Lol you alright JP? It's me maths boy:p:mmm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StudentInSociety
Charities don't pay tax either so long as the money is used for Charitable purposes. The church is recognised as a charity.

I mean, that's all well and good but so is the University of Dundee. Being registered as a charity doesn't necessarily entail actually being charitable.
Reply 90
This is coming from an atheists perspective:
I absoultely disagree with other atheist who mock religious people just because they don't agree with them. No I'm not a fan of religion myself but I don't mock those who choose to follow it.
I've heard things like "religion is like fairy tales" and "If I don't believe in santa, why would I believe in god"
These are incredibly ignorant and biased. I know there's alot of us vs them mentality between atheist and theists but I do not agree with any religion basher.

That's just the disgusting case with humanity today- the absolutely ignorant people who lack enlightenment -brainwashed by the society that has been sensitizing the new milenium generation with absolute demonizing Godless rubbish, chose to sit on their asses daily, feeding on their plate of maggot-infested YOLO-rihanna-beyonce-idolworshipping stupidity and absolutely HATE when someone tells them they have been eating maggots all their life. Its sad but these people will feed that same maggot to their children and so on. Never-ending cycle of insanity.

“The moment you start arguing with an ignorant fool, you have already lost.”

But i do understand why atheists chose to remain in their darkness.
Religion has been hijacked from the beginning of civilization for mass domination/control purposes
1) roman-catholicism is the epitome of end of days false prophetism- the leaders are so rich that their faeces do not stink i guess, thats why some humanpigs "BOW DOWN" to the POPE.
2) islam
3) "highly emphasized" white jesus
4) world's ****ed up by religious wars
5) protestant churches (especially african pastors) making money off poor "miracle-seeking" people in the name of "tithe & offering" myass

if i did not have a close encounter with jesus's mercy, i would be a strongminded athiest by now. i mean look at the state of this world, its gone to hell. But all is not lost. I do not believe in christianity as a religion. I believe in sharing a personal relationship with the saviour.
God bless.
(edited 7 years ago)
I meditate whenever I can remember to but I have also prayed and both have a similar calming effect. The purposes be different but the serenity that you feel afterwards isn't so much so. It was supposed to be a metaphor, they are not literally the same. Of course, if you are praying to a god who you don't believe in then prayer will feel like a burdensome chore, so I'm talking about those who pray and believe that their feel a connection with their god.
Reply 92
Original post by ngel4u
That's just the disgusting case with humanity today- the absolutely ignorant people who lack enlightenment -brainwashed by the society that has been sensitizing the new milenium generation with absolute demonizing Godless rubbish, chose to sit on their asses daily, feeding on their plate of maggot-infested denial and absolutely HATE when someone tells them they have been eating maggots all their life. Its sad but

“The moment you start arguing with an ignorant fool, you have already lost.”

Lol there's no reason beeing passive agressive about the issue here.
If someone wants to believe in god, whats your problem? Is it going to affect your outcome in life?
If someone wants to believe in god, whats your problem? Is it going to affect your outcome in life?
If someone wants to mock idiocracy, what's your problem? Is it going to affect your outcome in life?
Reply 94
If someone wants to mock idiocracy, what's your problem? Is it going to affect your outcome in life?

there's a big difference in mocking an individual and mocking an individuals ideology
there's a big difference in mocking an individual and mocking an individuals ideology
Not when said individual wants to preach their idiocracy, if they don't want to face mockery they should stay quiet.
Reply 96
Not when said individual wants to preach their idiocracy, if they don't want to face mockery they should stay quiet.

You're bringin up a completely different point here not what I said in my thread.
I just said people shouldn't people's religions I didn't say we shouldn't mock those who preach?
You're bringin up a completely different point here not what I said in my thread.
I just said people shouldn't people's religions I didn't say we shouldn't mock those who preach?
We shouldn't mock people's religions, didn't you just say that was different to mocking the individual? Mocking the ideology?
Reply 98
We shouldn't mock people's religions, didn't you just say that was different to mocking the individual? Mocking the ideology?

Lol mate I was referring to the guy mocking me caused he didn't agree with him
And yes I do think we shouldn't mock the PEOPLE following a religion but rather the religion itself
All this hatred targets the wrong thing and solves nothing
Do you think you're going to convert religious people to athiesm by calling them idiots who believe in fairy tales?
Never in a million years
Reply 99

1) i have no problem with anyone who believes in God, for i am a believer in God. so you make no sense.
2) i have pity on atheists who mock people who believe in God, for all we see is someone lost who rejected God, someone who is just following his/her path-fulfilling the prophecy made concerning their particular behaviour.
3)A mocking atheist just makes believers to believe MORE in God. (hope you get my gist)

no point telling athiests to not mock believers.

p.s if you had read my message properly, you would have realised that the "ignorant people lacking enlightenment" i spoke about were atheists.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest