Original post by Roobsa
If they don't already have a TT bike.

What a dumb reply.
Original post by BaronK
What a dumb reply.

:yy:
Original post by Roobsa
If they don't already have a TT bike.

Actually correct pacing and increasing you FTP are the most cost effective ways of increasing your speed. Skin suit will save you minimal watts (10W over 30 mins) compared to a tight cycling jersey. You should only think about those upgrades if you are doing a 10 mile circuit under 24 minutes if you looking for marginal gains
Original post by Roobsa
https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

All the information you need is there.

Ah, thanks. Wasn't sure where to find this
Original post by Concav
You should only think about those upgrades if you are doing a 10 mile circuit under 24 minutes if you looking for marginal gains

Explain why only people who can do a sub 24 minute 10 should be thinking about upgrades? Where did you pull that number from?
Original post by Roobsa
Explain why only people who can do a sub 24 minute 10 should be thinking about upgrades? Where did you pull that number from?

Spoiler

Well you can get whatever upgrade you want. If you cannot properly pace correctly, why should one get a skin suit. Why do you recommend a skin suit before a power meter especially for a TT? No point in saving a certain amount of power from a skin suit if don't have a power meter to ride at a constant wattage.
Reply 286
Original post by Concav
Actually correct pacing and increasing you FTP are the most cost effective ways of increasing your speed. Skin suit will save you minimal watts (10W over 30 mins) compared to a tight cycling jersey. You should only think about those upgrades if you are doing a 10 mile circuit under 24 minutes if you looking for marginal gains

Aero gains have a greater impact the greater the distance though. Really pains me to be on the same side as Roobsa
Original post by BaronK
Aero gains have a greater impact the greater the distance though. Really pains me to be on the same side as Roobsa

:yy:
Original post by BaronK

This is 10 mile though, it won't even take you 30 minutes. Over that distance you are only going to save 5-10W from a skin suit. If you're going to going to get a skin suit though, you might as well get an aero helmet and save your leg hair to get the full benefit of marginal gains. I don't have anything against him - I actually really like his beard (he's a great guy).
Reply 289
Original post by Concav
This is 10 mile though, it won't even take you 30 minutes. Over that distance you are only going to save 5-10W from a skin suit. If you're going to going to get a skin suit though, you might as well get an aero helmet and save your leg hair to get the full benefit of marginal gains. I don't have anything against him - I actually really like his beard (he's a great guy).

It's gonna save you close to 40 seconds by getting a properly fitting skinsuit over a 10 mile TT. That's a pretty significant gain.
Nice ride today, nothing too stressful
https://www.strava.com/activities/701172967
Reply 291
Original post by Concav
Nice ride today, nothing too stressful
https://www.strava.com/activities/701172967

Sick KOM bruv
Original post by BaronK
Sick KOM bruv

Fancy swapping for a more prestigious one - don't think anyone cycles on that road (:

What do you guys think of this numpty https://www.youtube.com/embed/byzvVc-FFSY
Original post by Concav
Hi you alright mate. I was trying to train my FTP so avoided hills which consequently follows decents. Even on -0.9% roads, it's quite hard not to coast for couple seconds.

Don't know my true max but on climbs on hot days, it goes up to 210, so around 215-220. Would like it to go lower but many people say it's genetics.

Edit: resting is around 35.

65kg is great climbing weight, does it affect you though on the flats?

What kind of racing do you do btw?

In the wind it can be a bit tricky on the flat, strong crosswinds I definitely seem to suffer more than heavier riders, and headwinds require relatively more effort. Having said that it's not the end of the world, I'm more than capable of chugging along nicely on the flat when I need to without wiping myself out.

Preference is for road races, partial to crits though as they're good fun and mentally they're "easy" training. Don't mind the odd TT. Had bugger all time to race this season though and lived in the middle of nowhere for most of it- literally a handful of races which is depressing. Next season should be better though, more like last year hopefully.
Original post by Concav

Spoiler

Well you can get whatever upgrade you want. If you cannot properly pace correctly, why should one get a skin suit. Why do you recommend a skin suit before a power meter especially for a TT? No point in saving a certain amount of power from a skin suit if don't have a power meter to ride at a constant wattage.

Don't need a power meter to ride a TT. Can ride it on feel, plenty of riders, both amateur and professional race without paying much attention to their power numbers, only really analysing them afterwards. Taylor Phinney for instance taped over his power numbers just before he took to the ramp at the USA nationals this year.*Power is useful but isn't the be all and end all when it comes to racing, sometimes you have to trust yourself and it is surprising the results you can get, the greatest strength of power meters comes in how they help to focus training.
Cross season has begun. :borat:
(edited 7 years ago)
I sprained my intercostal muscles from coughing and I can't get out for a ride because I need to rest :frown:
Reply 297
Original post by alexs2602
I sprained my intercostal muscles from coughing and I can't get out for a ride because I need to rest

Could be worse! How long do you have to rest for?
Original post by dhr90
Could be worse! How long do you have to rest for?

Been 10 days so far. Just until it stops hurting. Going to use more ibuprofen though. I've missed 2 of 4 rides this term. I really want to get out and get in shape.
Got a new bike recently. Cube attain SL Disc. 105 groupset. Hydraulic disc brakes. Aluminium frame.

Quick Reply

Latest