The Student Room Group

A homosexual CofE Bishop!!

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aaron2515
What do you think of a bishop being in a homosexual relationship?
Not only is it the homosexual part. But he's meant to be celibate!

He is celibate...
Nothing to see here move along. A bishops Gay big deal. The only people complaining are the CofE PC brigade.
Reply 3
Original post by thegodofgod
He is celibate...

How can he be celibate if he claims to be in a relationship

Well he doesn't have to get creampied every day to be in a relationship :tongue:

That's what I was thinking when I read it. Maybe he's really dedicated to Christianity as well as loving his partner....

You can still have a romantic relationship and be celibate... lmao most old straight couples are anyway
Reply 7

CofE priests are allowed to get married, so therefore wouldn't need to be celibate. It's Catholic priests who are celibate.
Reply 8

Wow, big deal. A gay Bishop. Moving swiftly on...

Spoiler

Original post by Hachik0
The only people complaining are the CofE PC brigade.

How are they being PC?
Imagine all the crazy-ass religious sex games they could play.
Oh I'm gonna nail you tonight :sexface:

Uh ur my saviour daddy :puppyeyes:

Take me to heaven :angel:

I'm not comfortable with it personally but I thought this one was celibate?
Why not?
he is still the same person as before, still doing the same job in the same way so why would it matter?
Original post by Anonymous
Why not?
he is still the same person as before, still doing the same job in the same way so why would it matter?

If it was any other person in any other position of authority I wouldn't mind; but as this person is a Bishop in the Church of England I expect him to be a spiritual leader and I would look up to him to help me follow Christ faithfully. If he is in a homosexual relationship it's pretty obvious that he is sinning before God and thus is misleading and abusing his position of spiritual authority. The Bible makes it abundantly clear in both Old and New Testaments that homosexual acts are sin. If he doesn't believe this he should not be a bishop and his authority should be taken from him, simple as
Well ok then, that's only how you interpret it though.
I have a christian parent and they have no trouble with homosexuals which is just as well really lol.
Jesus preached equality and reached out to those cast out in society such as when he let the woman who wouldnt stop bleeding touch his robe.
Tbh if he is a figure of authority i think it is even more reason to be pleased as hopefully he will inspire other christians to be tolerant of people who cant control how they are.
Well ok then, that's only how you interpret it though.
I have a christian parent and they have no trouble with homosexuals which is just as well really lol.
Jesus preached equality and reached out to those cast out in society such as when he let the woman who wouldnt stop bleeding touch his robe.
Tbh if he is a figure of authority i think it is even more reason to be pleased as hopefully he will inspire other christians to be tolerant of people who cant control how they are.

It isn't just how I interpret it, the verses literally couldn't mean anything else:

Romans 1:26-27New International Version (NIV)26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10New International Version (NIV)9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10King James Version (KJV)9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Jesus preached love yes, but he mentions hell more times than anything in the gospels and the importance of repentance and turning away from sin. His message is clear; if you sin you will go to hell. If your parent doesn't have a problem with homosexual acts then they are either not a true Christian or are not familiar with God's word. It is a travesty to have someone who disregards God's word so flippantly and blatantly in a position of Christian scriptural authority
Great, tbh that is what it says but why is it sinful? no-one ever answers that they just go 'because my book says so' well why does it say so? what harm does it do to anyone else?
if he preaches love surely u should love ur fellow neighbour regardless of what they get up to in private, and 'sins' how can you compare something like murder with just loving someone who happens to have the same genitalia as yourself.
lol try telling that to her, she does all the things you do and comes down from her ivory tower to actually help people. Im sure Jesus would prefer someone like that rather than someone like you who would refuse help to someone purely because of who they love.
and yeh how awful that she puts her own moral compass before that of a 1000 year old book and wouldnt disown me if i came out to her :laugh: how awful indeed.
anyway this is like banging my head against a wall lol.
you carry on reading your book and ill carry on with my life thanks :smile:
Great, tbh that is what it says but why is it sinful? no-one ever answers that they just go 'because my book says so' well why does it say so? what harm does it do to anyone else?
if he preaches love surely u should love ur fellow neighbour regardless of what they get up to in private, and 'sins' how can you compare something like murder with just loving someone who happens to have the same genitalia as yourself.
lol try telling that to her, she does all the things you do and comes down from her ivory tower to actually help people. Im sure Jesus would prefer someone like that rather than someone like you who would refuse help to someone purely because of who they love.
and yeh how awful that she puts her own moral compass before that of a 1000 year old book and wouldnt disown me if i came out to her :laugh: how awful indeed.
anyway this is like banging my head against a wall lol.
you carry on reading your book and ill carry on with my life thanks :smile:

Look you started this conversation so don't try and make me out to be a bad person because I answered your question, alright? Your assumption that I do nothing to help people is also false as I do voluntary work and donate to various charities. One of my jobs is even helping old people haha.

I think you need to go and read the NT properly because you have clearly misunderstood the message of Jesus. Yes of course we are called to be loving to other people but the simple fact of the matter is that those who sin go to hell and part of the love that Jesus commanded from Christians is to tell people when they are in danger of it.

In the NT we are encouraged to not associate with christians who are sinning and this bishop obviously falls under that category as he is blatantly sinning whilst being in a position of spiritual authority. The requirements for bishop-hood are laid out in the NT clearly as a man being the husband of one wife who does engage in sexual sin. This bishop clearly violates that rule
So to be a real Christian is to believe this book, in it's entirety, no cherry picking? ....I really want to believe you're of this opinion because there's a lot of it you just haven't read.

Good for him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending