The Student Room Group

I a 25 years old and have no GCSE's and want to achieve a degree

i have no gcses due to personal problems in the past, however i was very smart at school and i dont want that talent go to waste so i am planning on getting a degree in computer science from a good university, what will be a good start for me?
Also do i need 5 gcses for A levels or can i do just English and Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Really wouldn't bother tbh. University and degrees are massively overrated.
Original post by westeros_maester
i have no gcses due to personal problems in the past, however i was very smart at school and i dont want that talent go to waste so i am planning on getting a degree in computer science from a good university, what will be a good start for me?

You don't need to do 5 GCSEs, only English and Maths to get onto an Access to HE course. Some colleges let you do them at the same time as an Access Course but you might struggle with the workload depending on your other commitments.

Access is one year long and that'll get you into most universities outside the top 5 if you get good results.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
Really wouldn't bother tbh. University and degrees are massively overrated.

This. If you want to make money, you don't need GCSEs, degrees and other useless pieces of paper. If you start university now, you'll finish by time you are 28-29, with nothing to show but a mountain of debt. Why would you put yourself in that position when you can use your youth to set yourself up for your adult life?

A degree will get you no where. On the other hand, hard work in the right industry will provide you with a good base for your future.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
This. If you want to make money, you don't need GCSEs, degrees and other useless pieces of paper. If you start university now, you'll finish by time you are 28-29, with nothing to show but a mountain of debt. Why would you put yourself in that position when you can use your youth to set yourself up for your adult life?

A degree will get you no where. On the other hand, hard work in the right industry will provide you with a good base for your future.

If i dont get a qualification what do i put on my CV?
Reply 5

A degree will get you no where.

Okay
i found a tech degree at treehouse.com is that useful?
If i dont get a qualification what do i put on my CV?

Seriously? You want to waste 4 years of your life just to put something useless down on your CV? Don't waste your life like that.

If you have a driving license then you can easily find work as a courier. If you have a moped then you can easily find work as a delivery guy. There are usually jobs advertised in newspapers and outside newsagents, most don't care about qualifications. You can make a decent CV without qualifications, however a lot of the time you don't need one.

There is lots of work in construction, you can take a short course in various construction roles for a fee, that will give you a competence card and good employment. The opportunities are out there, but most people don't want to do the hard work.
Although I have an undergraduate and two postgraduate degrees, id say an apprenticeship would be best for someone in your position.
Seriously? You want to waste 4 years of your life just to put something useless down on your CV? Don't waste your life like that.

If you have a driving license then you can easily find work as a courier. If you have a moped then you can easily find work as a delivery guy. There are usually jobs advertised in newspapers and outside newsagents, most don't care about qualifications. You can make a decent CV without qualifications, however a lot of the time you don't need one.

There is lots of work in construction, you can take a short course in various construction roles for a fee, that will give you a competence card and good employment. The opportunities are out there, but most people don't want to do the hard work.

i want to be a computer scientist not a delivery guy, i am already working as a team leader in customer service but i want a job in the computer industry
Please don't be put off by people saying don't get a degree. I'm starting my degree this year and I'm 22. Age doesn't matter. Access to HE course would be the best route if this is what you decide you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i want to be a computer scientist not a delivery guy, i am already working as a team leader in customer service but i want a job in the computer industry

Okay. Good luck with your computer science goals.
Original post by sipe
Okay

Yeah.
Original post by MeYou2Night
Although I have an undergraduate and two postgraduate degrees, id say an apprenticeship would be best for someone in your position.

i have found a tech degree for $99 a month at treehouse.com would that be good option for me?
Okay. Good luck with your computer science goals.

thanks.

So why would anyone study for a degree?

I think you should not bother with GCSEs or A levels really and maybe just go for an apprenticeship or traineeship. I suggest you go for a traineeship first and than an apprenticeship as you have no GCSEs including Maths and English.

https://www.gov.uk/find-traineeship
https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
(edited 7 years ago)
i have found a tech degree for $99 a month at treehouse.com would that be good option for me?

No idea but at 99$ a month I doubt it
A traineeship is only for under 25s.

The first thing to do is get signed up for English and Maths GCSE courses asap, before this year's places at colleges all fill up.

Ignore all the naysayers OP.
Original post by niteninja1
So why would anyone study for a degree?

Why are you asking me? Go and ask people directly who are studying for a degree.

Anyways i can say what I think. Most people go university for the social life, the unrestricted freedom and hedonism. A degree comes second.

A minority of students go university for the degree and then the social experience. And an even smaller minority go just for the degree, mainly with the Open university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending