The Student Room Group

Poll shows majority of British people support burqa ban

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShariYeah!
To be fair you were having a go at women that dont work, when clearly the natural state of affairs throughout history has been men doing the hard toil and women the child rearing/pastoral/communal care.

Your fantasy of men doing the 'hard toil' and women doing the ( in contrast, not hard toil?) of child rearing/pastoral/communal care is certainly not based on fact.

Can I suggest you try doing some of the typically female jobs without benefit of modern labour saving devices.

Try - washing clothes fresh from the coal mine; stained with blood/ faeces; covered in food stains etc. etc.
Try - lugging water from the well, not 100 yards but 1+ miles.
Try- working in the fields harvesting beet etc. whilst carrying a child on your back
Try - scrubbing floors using a brush and a bar of soap
Try - raising poultry, pigs, dairy cattle - carrying buckets of feed / milk, turning the butter churn for hours on end, making cheese...
Try - harvesting beets - of a February morning as Tess of the D'Urbervilles did.
etc.
You may revise your ideas on what constitutes hard toil.

Remember that all this was done while pregnant, nursing babies, having little or no pre or post natal care. ( I won't frighten you with details.)
Original post by Josb
I never said that an Islamist party would be worse than a Fascist party, they are the same to me. Locally, an Islamist party could gain strong support in towns like Luton or Bradford, whilst far right supporters are more evenly spread.

So do you think parties like the BNP should be illegal?
I'm Muslim, even I agree that the veil..is extreme. But banning it also seems to be imposing on people's choices...I don't know. I don't really have a coherent opinion on this issue those are just my thoughts.
Also what you're thinking of is not a burqa - it's a veil/nikab.
Reply 243
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So do you think parties like the BNP should be illegal?

Parties that advocate violence shouldn't be allowed.
Original post by Josb
Parties that advocate violence shouldn't be allowed.

You haven;t answered the question. Should the BNP be band? Should the french national front be band?

So a parliamentary Islamist party committed to getting state power via democratic means would be fine by you?

I don't believe that fascist and Islamist parties are the same to you. I think you prefer the fascist over the Islamists. I've seen you act as an apologist for the likes of Marine Lepan and her party and at the same time come down far harder on Islamism and anything you think is associated with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 245
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You haven;t answered the question. Should the BNP be band? Should the french national front be band?

So a parliamentary Islamist party committed to getting state power via democratic means would be fine by you?

I don't believe that fascist and Islamist parties are the same to you. I think you prefer the fascist over the Islamists. I've seen you act as an apologist for the likes of Marine Lepan and her party and at the same time come down far harder on Islamism and anything you think is associated with it.

Well, as long as the BNP or an hypothetical Islamist party respect the democratic process, they should be allowed.

The Front National is not a Fascist party. They are populist and nationalist.

Fascists want to monitor citizens from cradle to grave by using violence if necessary, like the Sharia.
IMG_20171101_124728.jpg
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 247
Don't people have something better to do than froth at the mouth over something that doesnt effect them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending