The Student Room Group

Will getting two Bs at GCSE be a problem for Oxbridge?

whew sheesh thanks for the replies, you can lock this now, evidently i'm a humble bragging out of touch douche

edit: seems the replies are more reasonable now that the thread has matured. we've moved past the "is this a joke?" phase, I have actual reasons for asking this :/
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can't tell if you're being serious - I got 5A*/3A/2B and I'm applying to cambridge...
IS this a joke?
No.
Original post by CloakedSpartan
More likely Cambridge but still considering Oxford as my parents seem to treat it like more of a fairy tale place than Cambridge!

At GCSE I got 10 A*s, 1 A and 2 Bs. I'm aware 10 A*s and an A are very good GCSE results but the 2 Bs put me off a bit. First it drags down my A* percentage quite a bit, and secondly it implies that it's a bit less of a grade anomaly than say 1 B on its own.

However, the subject breakdown is as follows:

Mathematics - A*
Further Mathematics - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
History - A*
Economics - A*
Computing - A*
Art & Design (Fine Art) - A
French - B
Classical Civilisation - B

As I'm doing Mathematics (Pre-U), Further Mathematics (Pre-U), Physics and Computing (possibly + Economics AS) at A-level (and maybe an EPQ) and I got an A* in all of those subjects I hope it won't be too much of a problem?

I want to do computer science and so I hope they'll look past the two Bs and even the A as they're in art subjects, while I A*'d all of my science subjects and more importantly maths/further maths.

Will getting D1/D2 (A**/A* equivalent grades in Pre-U) and A*s predicted at A-level essentially guarantee me an interview with that GCSE profile, or are the Bs a problem?
I'm doing the same A levels as you :smile:
#Humblebrag
Jesus okay thanks. I get it. No it's not a joke, I'm genuinely asking based on stats of some average A* percentages at Oxford. I'll edit out the OP now that I have my answer.
More likely Cambridge but still considering Oxford as my parents seem to treat it like more of a fairy tale place than Cambridge!

At GCSE I got 10 A*s, 1 A and 2 Bs. I'm aware 10 A*s and an A are very good GCSE results but the 2 Bs put me off a bit. First it drags down my A* percentage quite a bit, and secondly it implies that it's a bit less of a grade anomaly than say 1 B on its own.

However, the subject breakdown is as follows:

Mathematics - A*
Further Mathematics - A*
English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
History - A*
Economics - A*
Computing - A*
Art & Design (Fine Art) - A
French - B
Classical Civilisation - B

As I'm doing Mathematics (Pre-U), Further Mathematics (Pre-U), Physics and Computing (possibly + Economics AS) at A-level (and maybe an EPQ) and I got an A* in all of those subjects I hope it won't be too much of a problem?

I want to do computer science and so I hope they'll look past the two Bs and even the A as they're in art subjects, while I A*'d all of my science subjects and more importantly maths/further maths.

Will getting D1/D2 (A**/A* equivalent grades in Pre-U) and A*s predicted at A-level essentially guarantee me an interview with that GCSE profile, or are the Bs a problem?

If you're seriously being this stupid then I question your suitability for either university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieBlogger
If you're seriously being this stupid then I question your suitability for either university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ouch.....

Original post by KatieBlogger

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whew sorry but bugger off.

I ask this because I go to a school where quite a few in my year ended up with all A*s or all A*/A and yet each year I've seen people like that not get in.

I get it. Jesus.
I don't see the problem with this thread? From what my careers advisor told us, 7a*s and below can make getting into Oxbridge very challenging - and they don't even consider applicants with several Bs at Oxford. (I know there are exceptions)

Before you give me grief - our school had the highest percentage of successful Oxbridge applicants in the country - our careers advisor knows what he's on about.
Original post by fuzi8n137
I don't see the problem with this thread? From what my careers advisor told us, 7a*s and below can make getting into Oxbridge very challenging - and they don't even consider applicants with several Bs at Oxford. (I know there are exceptions)

Before you give me grief - our school had the highest percentage of successful Oxbridge applicants in the country - our careers advisor knows what he's on about.

That's probably the reason why he said 7A*s+

Generally the higher the standard of the school, the higher the expectations. Hence why 2A*s, 7As and 2Bs would be classed as amazing at a lower than average state school, and mediocre at a grammar school.
Original post by fuzi8n137

Thank you.

Ffs I've spent hours comforting friends disappointed with results telling them they were really good and way above average because they were, even when they only got an A* or two that's still a really amazing set of results. I'm quite aware of what constitutes a good set of results and not. I'm simply concerned about my 2 Bs because I'm possibly applying to ****ing Oxford or Cambridge.

But no, some people have to reply with "lol is this a joke" because they want that sweet sweet rep.
Original post by jamestg
That's probably the reason why he said 7A*s+

Generally the higher the standard of the school, the higher the expectations. Hence why 2A*s, 7As and 2Bs would be classed as amazing at a lower than average state school, and mediocre at a grammar school.

The assistant head at my school also said 7 A*+. That's something I've heard a lot, then again I do go to a grammar school so it makes sense that the bar is a bit higher.

The fact it's a grammar school is also why the 2 B grades concern me.
The assistant head at my school also said 7 A*+. That's something I've heard a lot, then again I do go to a grammar school so it makes sense that the bar is a bit higher.

The fact it's a grammar school is also why the 2 B grades concern me.

You should be fine.
Original post by Mayhem™
I can't tell if you're being serious - I got 5A*/3A/2B and I'm applying to cambridge...

going to backtrack and reply to this

That's fair enough. I should have been more clear that I'm more comparing this to the context of my school and how generally only the people who get 100% A*/A seem to go to Oxbridge, especially as it's a grammar.

Original post by jamestg
You should be fine.

Thanks.
Well they only got AAA, requirements are either A*AA or A*A*A for compsci
Oh yeah sorry lol.

Jesus that's pretty good. Did he end up at Warwick or somewhere similar?
Did he do further reading and what were his predictions?

AFAIK if you apply to Cambridge with results getting A*A*A* means you go through mandatory pooling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending