The Student Room Group

Should I include my 'Oxford-bashing' campaign in my Personal Statement?

I'm applying for a course at UCL, KCL and Oxford. I want to include in my PS that I worked with an MP to maintain the printed edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, and the campaign, which I founded, resulted in an Early Day Motion in Parliament with my name in it. However, as the OED is published by Oxford University Press, will it look like I'm bashing them?

Thank you :smile:
I don't understand how that would look like you are bashing Oxford?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't understand how that would look like you are bashing Oxford?

Sorry for not having been clear :smile: Oxford Uni Press announced in 2015 they will no longer publish the printed edition of the OED, which I campaigned against, so I was wondering if it looks like I'm bashing Oxford by extension, as it's their press company?
Sounds impressive tbh
You're bashing Oxford by campaigning for the OED's continued existence on paper?

Why on earth would that be seen as 'bashing'?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Sounds impressive tbh

Thank you! :smile: That's why I want to include it, as I think UCL and KCL will like it, but I don't want Oxford to think I campaigned against a decision they made as an organisation :s-smilie:
Original post by Anna.Karenina
However, as the OED is published by Oxford University Press, will it look like I'm bashing them?

No... your personal statement isn't being read by board members of the OED!
Thank you! :smile: That's why I want to include it, as I think UCL and KCL will like it, but I don't want Oxford to think I campaigned against a decision they made as an organisation :s-smilie:

If i was you i would just go for it, you will stand out amongst the crowd and if you dont include it and things go wrong you wll end up thinking what if
Original post by BasicMistake
You're bashing Oxford by campaigning for the OED's continued existence on paper?

Why on earth would that be seen as 'bashing'?

Because Oxford Uni Press announced they would not be printing it, so I campaigned against a decision they made as an organisation.
I think whoever reads your personal statement at Oxford will find that very interesting.
Thank you everyone from your replies :-)
Because Oxford Uni Press announced they would not be printing it, so I campaigned against a decision they made as an organisation.

I'm pretty sure that they didn't make that decision with any feeling of joy.

Campaigning against the closure of BHS is not bashing BHS so this isn't bashing the Oxford University Press.
i think 1.) Oxford Uni professors etc and admissions tutors wont care in the slightest and have every chance of having agreed with your or not even caring on the matter, so include it if you want but 2.) if you do include it, make sure its actually relevant to your course, because if youre applying for chemistry or something like that then i dont honestly, in the nicest way possible, understand why doing a petition to keep a book is that big a deal?
Original post by JNDSAN
i think 1.) Oxford Uni professors etc and admissions tutors wont care in the slightest and have every chance of having agreed with your or not even caring on the matter, so include it if you want but 2.) if you do include it, make sure its actually relevant to your course, because if youre applying for chemistry or something like that then i dont honestly, in the nicest way possible, understand why doing a petition to keep a book is that big a deal?

It's relevant :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending