The Student Room Group

What makes a girl (or boy) a boring texter?

Please keep anon, the guy I'm talking about uses TSR.
I've been talking to this guy for a while but his replies are always late, so in an effort to make me seem cooler and less desperate I've given him shorter replies. But I just read through our messages and realised how short my comparisons are compared to his!
I feel bad now that he might think I'm not into him because of that!
Guys what kinda things makes you think that a girl is a boring texter.

In general people, what makes a conversation boring on text?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If he's taking long to reply to PM's on TSR then he might be busy, he probably has a life outside the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by A321
If he's taking long to reply to PM's on TSR then he might be busy, he probably has a life outside the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I met him on another social media platform (a dating one), however since then I've found out he also has a TSR account and have interacted with him on here also.
But do you have any things which would make a text conversation boring for you?
Reply 3
If someone replies to a text the next day or few days later I don't bother. It takes seconds to type a text.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Me, I know I'm terrible a lot of the time. I talk about education :lol:

Also, it's too easy to get bogged down into it and overthink things (which becomes boring...) but you can read your own replies and go 'right, are they going to be able to reply that or ask something about it or find it funny or anything or are they going to just say 'okay' or ignore it completely?'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Please keep anon, the guy I'm talking about uses TSR.
I've been talking to this guy for a while but his replies are always late, so in an effort to make me seem cooler and less desperate I've given him shorter replies. But I just read through our messages and realised how short my comparisons are compared to his!
I feel bad now that he might think I'm not into him because of that!
Guys what kinda things makes you think that a girl is a boring texter.

In general people, what makes a conversation boring on text?

If someone doesn't make an effort e.g. not asking questions/bringing up new topics etc. it can make a conversation boring very quickly. Like if you just answer what they say without providing something for them to then respond to. Also if you're asked something like 'what are you up to' and you respond 'nothing hbu' it's boring because it sounds like you're just deflecting and don't really care enough to come up with a decent response
If you dont spam the Emojis like mad no matter what sentence, it tends to make it less interesting,,,,:biggrin: :smile: :tongue: :wink:
You need to send dick pics to keep her interested
Reply 8
Original post by wickedisgood
If someone doesn't make an effort e.g. not asking questions/bringing up new topics etc. it can make a conversation boring very quickly. Like if you just answer what they say without providing something for them to then respond to. Also if you're asked something like 'what are you up to' and you respond 'nothing hbu' it's boring because it sounds like you're just deflecting and don't really care enough to come up with a decent response

I have this bad feeling about this guy, he barely asks me any questions about myself, it's always me getting to know him, and he takes ages to reply, but we're not texting on phones. When we talk it's on TSR or that dating platform chat, so maybe it's cos he doesn't check those often.
But I feel bad cos his replies are so much longer than mine. I'll just write a sentence or so and he writes so much more so idk if he's being polite to answer my replies or he's into me :/
Reply 9
Original post by I-Hate-Edexcel
If you dont spam the Emojis like mad no matter what sentence, it tends to make it less interesting,,,,:biggrin: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

In our entire conversation that we've had, he's only ever used 2 emojis :frown:
I think if a text doesn't have a naughty hint, witty remark (like a pun or a double entendre), or a subtle joke, then it should at least jog the mind of the receiver, most easily done by asking a question to trigger brain activity. If a text does not do at least one of these, then it runs a high risk of being boring.
The reason why being boring via text is more of a turn-off is because one actually has time to come up with and craft the content, unlike face-to-face convo where response is often unplanned
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
I think if a text doesn't have a naughty hint, witty remark (like a pun or a double entendre), or a subtle joke, then it should at least jog the mind of the receiver, most easily done by asking a question to trigger brain activity. If a text does not do at least one of these, then it runs a high risk of being boring.

Give me some examples of witty remarks or naughty remarks

I have no further comments to make :s-smilie: How is that even possible!!!!!
I have no further comments to make :s-smilie: How is that even possible!!!!!

I don't know :frown: I really like him, when I get replies from him, I get butterflies inside my whole body. I really want him to ask for my number. I feel like if we get onto actual texting instead of on these social media platforms, things will improve
Short replies really irritate me (unless there is good reason for it). Also when she doesn't make contribution to the conversation
I don't know :frown: I really like him, when I get replies from him, I get butterflies inside my whole body. I really want him to ask for my number. I feel like if we get onto actual texting instead of on these social media platforms, things will improve

Ok. Im no Cupid (is that right?) but it seems to me that you will need to make the significant moves for this relationship to advance. send an occasional winky face..maybe that will spice things up :colondollar:
IF YOU'RE A GIRL, close up images of your vaginal cavity should keep him interested.

EDIT: shaved of course
(edited 7 years ago)
Boring texts in my experience are those which don't ask the other party any questions to continue on a certain topic, these are usually short responses too. Long responses are giving a lot of detail and if you respond with a short text without a produced question based on it, then it just shows you're uninterested.

Exhibit A:
"What're you up to?"
"Just watching TV, you?"
"Same aha"

Exhibit B:
"What're you up to?"
"Just watching TV, you?"
"Same, I'm watching Game of Thrones, what're you watching?"
"OMG I love that show! I'm watching Breaking Bad!"
*conversation continues while talking about Game of Thrones as well as Breaking Bad*
DISCLAIMER: If one party hasn't seen one of the shows, drive on the conversation by suggesting to watch it together at some point or recommend it based on why you think the person would enjoy it, this should create room for future conversation.

As you can see, exhibit B has a much more interesting conversation with a drive as opposed to exhibit A where it ends after the 3rd ****ing line.

Another comparison, please observe.

Exhibit C:
"Hey how are you? :h:"
"Just having a bad day :frown:"
"Aw, what's wrong?"
*Person proceeds to post a long message explaining what happened*
"Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon."

Exhibit D:
"Hey how are you? :h:"
"Just having a bad day :frown:"
"Aw, what's wrong?"
*Person proceeds to post a long message explaining what happened*
"OMG that sounds awful, how did X happen? What did you do after Y?... " etc, etc, showing some ****ing interest.

As you can see Exhibit D is much better as it provides drive.

TL;DR, start showing some ****ing interest through questions as a response to long texts. Create a topic if needed. Jesus ****ing christ, almost everyone I've talked to cannot follow this simple rule so I just stop talking to them quite quickly as a result. No need to bother as I won't get anything meaningful/helpful out of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok. Im no Cupid (is that right?) but it seems to me that you will need to make the significant moves for this relationship to advance. send an occasional winky face..maybe that will spice things up :colondollar:

OMG I'll feel too embarrassed if I use winky faces, what if he doesn't like me back, then I'm just left with a winky face. I like him soooo much though it hurts. What other stuff shall I do to advance things with him?
Reply 19

look its u @ me

@defenestrated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending