The Student Room Group

Are these sensible AS-Levels?

Hi there TSR,

I'm just about to start my AS levels and I've become increasingly concerned about a lack of 'facilitating subjects'. I'm doing:

Economics
Politics and Government
Geography
Religious Studies

While I know that Economics, Politics and RS are not considered 'easy' options, none of them are considered 'facilitating'. I do have Oxbridge aspirations and from what I've read, two facilitating subjects seems to be the minimum needed to stand a chance.

While I don't know about degree yet, I'm fairly sure I want to go on to do Law.

Many Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by fuzi8n137
Hi there TSR,

I'm just about to start my AS levels and I've become increasingly concerned about a lack of 'facilitating subjects'. I'm doing:

Economics
Politics and Government
Geography
Religious Studies

While I know that Economics, Politics and RS are not considered 'easy' options, none of them are considered 'facilitating'. I do have Oxbridge aspirations and from what I've read, two facilitating subjects seems to be the minimum needed to stand a chance.

While I don't know about degree yet, I'm fairly sure I want to go on to do Law.

Many Thanks! :smile:

They're great subjects. However I would recommend choosing maths instead of geography or RS. It's really versatile.
I have a query. If you are so set on doing law at uni, why aren't you considering it for a-level? Seems ridiculous.
Reply 3
Original post by jamestg
They're great subjects. However I would recommend choosing maths instead of geography or RS. It's really versatile.

I managed to get an A* at maths in my GCSE (humble brag yes I know) but I really don't like it! I'd much rather swap something like economics for English Lit., which is my main consideration at this point.
Reply 4
Original post by lw8
I have a query. If you are so set on doing law at uni, why aren't you considering it for a-level? Seems ridiculous.

Our school don't offer Law because it's apparently not considered a good A level - and I've heard it's a bit of a joke
Reply 5
I managed to get an A* at maths in my GCSE (humble brag yes I know) but I really don't like it! I'd much rather swap something like economics for English Lit., which is my main consideration at this point.

English lit would be good! Nice job on the A* :-)
Reply 6
You would stand a much better chance if you did:

Economics

Politics and Government

History

English Literature
I don't agree that you ought to do Maths. If you don't enjoy it and are definitely aiming for Law, there isn't much of an argument to even do it at AS. If you are concerned about facilitating subjects, have you considered History or English Lit?
Reply 8
Original post by Aklaol
You would stand a much better chance if you did:

Economics

Politics and Government

History

English Literature

I know what I'd stand a much better chance doing, however I don't really enjoy history, nor am I very good at it. I'm asking whether my chosen AS levels are sensible, not what other people think I should do.
Economics and Geography are considered as hard facilitiating subjects, im pretty sure.
Reply 10
Original post by BasicMistake
I don't agree that you ought to do Maths. If you don't enjoy it and are definitely aiming for Law, there isn't much of an argument to even do it at AS. If you are concerned about facilitating subjects, have you considered History or English Lit?

I'm not super concerned about 'facilitating subjects' - I was wondering how important people thought they actually are.

My current set of AS levels I really enjoy, and I do also enjoy English, but I'm worried I won't be able to pull out a top grade in it at A level.

I'm also concerned I might drop a subject I might really enjoy - It's such a nightmare and I guess this is up to me!
Reply 11
Original post by SuperHuman98
Economics and Geography are considered as hard facilitiating subjects, im pretty sure.

Geography certainly is, and although Economics is held in high regard, it isn't one of the 8 facilitating subjects.

http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/
I'm not super concerned about 'facilitating subjects' - I was wondering how important people thought they actually are.

My current set of AS levels I really enjoy, and I do also enjoy English, but I'm worried I won't be able to pull out a top grade in it at A level.

I'm also concerned I might drop a subject I might really enjoy - It's such a nightmare and I guess this is up to me!

I didn't think I'd be able to get above a D in AS History. Got a solid A.

Anything is possible! Work=results!

Economics
Politics and Government
Geography
Religious Studies

Economics is useless - it's not accepted as a useful/relevant A2 subject for any good degree, even for an Economics degree. There is less than 10% Maths in A Level Economics, only requires a year 9's maths knowledge. It's also hard and boring. Choose 3 good subjects and an interesting/easy one, e.g. Media, Film, Photography. Geography and Politics are great A-Levels, I got 100% in my ASs for those, they didn't require a lot of revision, but exam technique is imperative there. If you have good/decent teachers you'll fly through them.

RS is more helpful and useful than Economics but there's a hell of a lot to cover and it's very difficult. Even if you think you're 100% sure you want to do Law, like I was about PPE at the start of year 12, you might change your mind - all of us do. I ended up taking a science degree. I would suggest you do an A Level in your best science subject. I was absolutely sure I wanted to do a humanities degree but by the end of the year I had changed my mind...four times.

Basically...choose what you do best at but also what you enjoy - but don't go overkill. My friend did 2 sciences and 2 humanities (Geog and RS) and he seriously struggled to cope.
Reply 14
Original post by DMcGovern
Economics is useless - it's not accepted as a useful/relevant A2 subject for any good degree, even for an Economics degree. There is less than 10% Maths in A Level Economics, only requires a year 9's maths knowledge. It's also hard and boring. Choose 3 good subjects and an interesting/easy one, e.g. Media, Film, Photography. Geography and Politics are great A-Levels, I got 100% in my ASs for those, they didn't require a lot of revision, but exam technique is imperative there. If you have good/decent teachers you'll fly through them.

RS is more helpful and useful than Economics but there's a hell of a lot to cover and it's very difficult. Even if you think you're 100% sure you want to do Law, like I was about PPE at the start of year 12, you might change your mind - all of us do. I ended up taking a science degree. I would suggest you do an A Level in your best science subject. I was absolutely sure I wanted to do a humanities degree but by the end of the year I had changed my mind...four times.

Basically...choose what you do best at but also what you enjoy - but don't go overkill. My friend did 2 sciences and 2 humanities (Geog and RS) and he seriously struggled to cope.

Well I'm sure I don't want to go down the science path - I can't see that ending well for me. I'm not so sure about Economics being considered 'useless' as an A-level, if it was then our school wouldn't let us take it.

How about taking it as just an AS level and dropping it for A level - which was kind of what I planned to do anyway?
Our school don't offer Law because it's apparently not considered a good A level - and I've heard it's a bit of a joke

Oh that's fair enough then, I've also heard that law at a level is nothing like at degree level. So I guess it shouldn't be much of an issue you not taking it.
Swap one for English Lit.
Honestly, if you enjoy those subjects, are good at then, and can get a good grade in them it doesn't sodding matter!
As far as I'm aware, law doesn't really have any subject requirements?
They're all good subjects, if your really concerned, maybe change one of them for a facilitating subject, but don't feel that it is imperative.
Have a look a this maybe this could help you! But I think if you want to do Law the best a levels to take are History, English lit and another subject of your choice. History and English lit are facilitating subjects. @fuzi8n137

http://www.dorcan.co.uk/media/careers/A_Levels_Required_For_Degree_Areas.pdf
Just putting it out there, Geography is a facilitating subject! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest