The Student Room Group

Oxford Application

I have achieved AAAB in my AS levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (B in Chemistry). Going on to continue the former 3 at A2.
I've done a week work experience at the University of Liverpool, looking at renewable energy research.
I've done an 8 week MOOC in physics from the University of Virginia.
Along with other more minor things.
At the moment do you think it is worth applying to Oxford for Physics?
Original post by jacklfc99
I have achieved AAAB in my AS levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (B in Chemistry). Going on to continue the former 3 at A2.
I've done a week work experience at the University of Liverpool, looking at renewable energy research.
I've done an 8 week MOOC in physics from the University of Virginia.
Along with other more minor things.
At the moment do you think it is worth applying to Oxford for Physics?

If you like the look of the course, and the university, yes.*
GCSEs and PAT are going to be more important for Oxford than work experience. Interview will also be important, too. That being said, it can never hurt to apply.

x
Reply 3
Original post by Jasaron
GCSEs and PAT are going to be more important for Oxford than work experience. Interview will also be important, too. That being said, it can never hurt to apply.

I received 8 A* and 3 A at GCSE and once back in sixth form I am going to mention PAT. Do you think I stand a good chance?
I received 8 A* and 3 A at GCSE and once back in sixth form I am going to mention PAT. Do you think I stand a good chance?

Defo
Reply 5
Original post by Jasaron

GCSEs are actually not very important for physics, but yours are definitely good :smile: as long as you're predicted at least the entrance requirements go for it! PAT is the main deciding factor for getting an interview, then PAT + interviews for getting an offer.
Hey guys, I'm applying this October too. I hope everything is going well for you. I got one little question. For my ASs I was doing Maths, Chem, Bio and Economics, however I dropped economics a couple of months before the exam and they still forced me to sit an exam. I got AAA and D in economics, will this D have a significant effect on my application, considering that I picked up Eng Lit and now doing two years in one? Predicted: A*A*AA. Thanks!
Original post by JellyfishThunder
Hey guys, I'm applying this October too. I hope everything is going well for you. I got one little question. For my ASs I was doing Maths, Chem, Bio and Economics, however I dropped economics a couple of months before the exam and they still forced me to sit an exam. I got AAA and D in economics, will this D have a significant effect on my application, considering that I picked up Eng Lit and now doing two years in one? Predicted: A*A*AA. Thanks!

Although the D isn't an asset this sort of thing does happen and experienced selectors will probably figure out the context. Our advice is to concentrate on the rest of your application - personal statement, gearing up for the admissions test if there is one - and not to worry about what's done and dusted. By no means all applicants have straight As at AS and there are plenty of cases of successful candidates with similar profiles and stories.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Although the D isn't an asset this sort of thing does happen and experienced selectors will probably figure out the context. Our advice is to concentrate on the rest of your application - personal statement, gearing up for the admissions test if there is one - and not to worry about what's done and dusted. By no means all applicants have straight As at AS and there are plenty of cases of successful candidates with similar profiles and stories.

Thanks for your advice! I'm actually applying to Brasenose for biochem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest