The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
Have you thought about perhaps phoning or emailing the department for an appointment? I do that sometimes when I don't want to walk in and start crying in public. :hugs:

I emailed them just before the semester started. They told me to come in and chat face-to-face but did warn me they tend to get very busy around the start of uni. :/

How's the Q going?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I emailed them just before the semester started. They told me to come in and chat face-to-face but did warn me they tend to get very busy around the start of uni. :/

How's the Q going?

Yeah, that is very true. :hugs: I am planning to make an appointment on Monday at mine simply cause I know how busy it will get.

It's going ok. The grogginess is the worst, tbh. And the headaches. No real improvement on my mood etc and I was hearing things yesterday.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Ah maybe it's worth writing down what it is you have to contend with/tackle as in the medication being reduced and also the getting round to speaking to disability services as you've been at uni quite a while and you really need that extra support. They need to know just how much you're struggling, there is honestly a lot of support avaliable once they're aware. Also the thing NOT to do is to split your problems and your studying (in your own mind and in reality i.e. not speaking to support services at uni). Sounds stupid/obvious but internalised stigma means we might end up hiding things in certain contexts and it's to our detriment when actually all they'll do is recognise it and actually lift some of the burden of coping alone.

I'll take your advice and write everything down. I turn into a total wreck around figures of authority so having a list should help with getting things across. I do tend to hide/downplay things a lot, maybe internalized stigma or embarrassment or just feeling silly about stuff going on. A lot of the times I have the view that everyone else is managing so why can't I. I know I have stuff going on that they don't but everyone has their own burdens and I don't know whati t is that these A grade people have going on - which makes me feel worse. I keep getting Fs whereas these other people do so well. Ah sorry, kind of self-hatred rant going on there :colondollar: Sorry.

How're things going for you ,Popcorns?
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, that is very true. :hugs: I am planning to make an appointment on Monday at mine simply cause I know how busy it will get.

It's going ok. The grogginess is the worst, tbh. And the headaches. No real improvement on my mood etc and I was hearing things yesterday.

Yeah the grogginess can be pretty bad. Does coffee help you at all? As for headaches they wore off for me after a bit so hopefully they'll stop for you too. If not they may be able to prescribe you something (for eg. very low dose of amitriptyline perhaps), though it depends on they type of headaches.

Sorry to hear you were hearing things, it's so ****ing awful, you definitely have my sympathy there. :console: You may need to increase the quetiapine or maybe just give it a bit longer to work for you. I'd really advise telling your CPN and see what s/he recommends.

But yeah, if you ever want to talk about what's going on, feel free to PM me. :hugs:
Yeah the grogginess can be pretty bad. Does coffee help you at all? As for headaches they wore off for me after a bit so hopefully they'll stop for you too. If not they may be able to prescribe you something (for eg. very low dose of amitriptyline perhaps), though it depends on they type of headaches.

Sorry to hear you were hearing things, it's so ****ing awful, you definitely have my sympathy there. :console: You may need to increase the quetiapine or maybe just give it a bit longer to work for you. I'd really advise telling your CPN and see what s/he recommends.

But yeah, if you ever want to talk about what's going on, feel free to PM me. :hugs:

I drink a lot of caffeine but it doesn't seem to do much. I suffer from migraines anyway, cluster headaches too, and the GP has never prescribed anything for me so I doubt I will be given anything. :/

I will probably try it for a bit longer, it has only been over a week. Thanks for the offer :hugs:
Had a really stressful day today. Moved my stuff out of uni and then went food shopping with my dad. It was the first time I've been out of the house in a while as I've basically just been zoned out on meds for the last week and it was all a bit too much :frown: In spite of the fact I was wearing my pressure vest everything was just too overwhelming and I had so much sensory overload from the car journey, the supermarkets etc. Had a really bad meltdown when I got home. Feeling really frustrated :frown:
Feel *****y.
I feel like im never acc happy. Like when im happy there is always sadness there underneath like a lump in my throat and sometimes im smiling and will just randomly start crying. unless im like euphoric which happens occasionally but not often.
what is acc the point of being alive.
like what if next year is just as crap.
probably still be lonely only this time i wont have even my mum to hug and it will just be me fending for myself.
like anyone acc is bothered tho, do me a favour dont get close to me then air me for ages bc it saddens me and i already have too much sadness.
cant believe there is still 12 months of this **** and everyone getting bored and moving on before i can move on myself and who knows if that moving on will even be a better thing.
if it isnt that's it cba anymore
Sad, consumed with worries/anxiety.
I feel encapsulated in a dark, horrible cloud at the moment.
Original post by LesPaul_Player91
Had a really stressful day today. Moved my stuff out of uni and then went food shopping with my dad. It was the first time I've been out of the house in a while as I've basically just been zoned out on meds for the last week and it was all a bit too much :frown: In spite of the fact I was wearing my pressure vest everything was just too overwhelming and I had so much sensory overload from the car journey, the supermarkets etc. Had a really bad meltdown when I got home. Feeling really frustrated :frown:

That sounds awful :frown: hope it gets better for you soon!
I'll take your advice and write everything down. I turn into a total wreck around figures of authority so having a list should help with getting things across. I do tend to hide/downplay things a lot, maybe internalized stigma or embarrassment or just feeling silly about stuff going on. A lot of the times I have the view that everyone else is managing so why can't I. I know I have stuff going on that they don't but everyone has their own burdens and I don't know whati t is that these A grade people have going on - which makes me feel worse. I keep getting Fs whereas these other people do so well. Ah sorry, kind of self-hatred rant going on there :colondollar: Sorry.

How're things going for you ,Popcorns?

Yeah it's really easy to compare and feel bad about yourself but at the end of the day they may have problems but something's going right for them as they are achieving the grades. Don't worry about them work to your script and get what you need to make progress :smile:

Honestly it's so easy to get distracted by other people and their great grades or whatever it is and let it affect you but you should have a one track mind in terms of getting what you need because they probably won't even exist in your life after you finish the course. You're the priority!

Erm okay the usual ups and downs but had my little letter from the end of cbt was so nice to get a kind of nice report and detailed how I can get back into the service if and when I need to :smile:
Never felt more depressed in my life.. right before year 13 starts :smile:)))))
Anyone got any advice about going into a school year with depression and how to make the best of it?
So on Friday I went into my local benefit resource centre and told them I need help with writing my letter for the mandatory reconsideration for PIP and they told me to come in tomorrow and they can call up PIP for me and explain the exact points I disagree with in my report and things they have totally missed and that will save me writing a letter. I didn't know they could do this and everything I've read online says it has to be a letter that you send so I'm a bit confused :confused:
Original post by Spock's Socks
So on Friday I went into my local benefit resource centre and told them I need help with writing my letter for the mandatory reconsideration for PIP and they told me to come in tomorrow and they can call up PIP for me and explain the exact points I disagree with in my report and things they have totally missed and that will save me writing a letter. I didn't know they could do this and everything I've read online says it has to be a letter that you send so I'm a bit confused :confused:

I believe you can challenge it on the phone, however, it is best to do it in writing so you have everything written down etc. Maybe ask their help in writing a letter too? So they speak to them on the phone and then also you send a letter to the DWP with what you said on the phone?
Trapped inside a world of sadness.
Not sure I can take much more of this!
I'm crying way to much and it just needs to stop!
OCD is the worst thing ever, accompany that with Depression and Anxitey and you've got yourself one hell of a miserable time.

Life just keeps getting worse and worse currently. Anything I try to do to combat these illnesses just makes them worse! I don't know what I can do. Nothing is working!
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Why me!? What have I done to deserve this :frown: :cry2:
I fly home tomorrow.
I'm terrified of them delaying my flight again because it's a night flight and seeing take off happen makes me at ease. If it's dark then I won't be able to see it well and it'll just make me more anxious for the rest of the flight :cry:
I had my appt at the resource centre today to deal with my PIP mandatory reconsideration and it wasn't the usual woman I go to see, it was someone else and tbh, I couldn't take to her. She kept saying I'll be lucky if I get PIP and she doesn't think OCD is valid for PIP, which it is and she's 99% sure the MR is pointless and it'll just go straight to appeal and she wasn't very nice at all tbh. Glad my mum was with me.

I've got the docs on Thursday to try and get some medical evidence to send off with my MR letter. Dreading that appt, my docs hate writing letters at the best of times but are super funny about doing it for things like benefits :/

Just feel really deflated today :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bad mental health day, today. :frown:
Original post by Spock's Socks
I had my appt at the resource centre today to deal with my PIP mandatory reconsideration and it wasn't the usual woman I go to see, it was someone else and tbh, I couldn't take to her. She kept saying I'll be lucky if I get PIP and she doesn't think OCD is valid for PIP, which it is and she's 99% sure the MR is pointless and it'll just go straight to appeal and she wasn't very nice at all tbh. Glad my mum was with me.

I've got the docs on Thursday to try and get some medical evidence to send off with my MR letter. Dreading that appt, my docs hate writing letters at the best of times but are super funny about doing it for things like benefits :/

Just feel really deflated today :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Urgh! What she's told you isn't true. You can only get PIP if you meet the criteria. I can't get PIP due my OCD because it's not frequent enough and doesn't meet the criteria. It has nothing to do with your diagnosis.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Urgh! What she's told you isn't true. You can only get PIP if you meet the criteria. I can't get PIP due my OCD because it's not frequent enough and doesn't meet the criteria. It has nothing to do with your diagnosis.

Exactly and I do meet the criteria but I don't think she knows much about the illness. As soon as I said OCD was the biggest mental problem on my diagnosis list and the first thing she said while writing it down was "oh right so you wash your hands a lot, now I see why you don't need help with bathing". I just kind of glared at her when she said that. Tbh, I rarely wash my hands. My OCD makes me do other stuff more than washing hands but yet, she's another person and thinks all we OCD sufferers ever do is wash our hands :frown: I wont be going back to her with help for my appeal. I just hope the usual woman I go to is back by then. Though tbh, I'm considering just giving up with PIP.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest