The Student Room Group

How many hours a week should I revise for each of my A level subjects?

I picked economics, english lit, and psychology for my a levels and I feel really unsure about how much time i should invest on my subjects. Suggestions?
Original post by SameenaRafiq
I picked economics, english lit, and psychology for my a levels and I feel really unsure about how much time i should invest on my subjects. Suggestions?

My school recommends 5 hours per subject per week, NOT including homeworks or study periods in school time. Although how many people follow that advice I don't know.
Original post by hannahly
My school recommends 5 hours per subject per week, NOT including homeworks or study periods in school time. Although how many people follow that advice I don't know.

Wow! 5 hours is so crazy. Was it easy for you to spend so much time revising?
Reply 3

As many as it takes. Some subjects less than average, others more.

Do physical targets - like a past paper or an exercise in the textbook. Not time, because it may take you a while to get a small amount of work done.
How long is a piece of string?
Wow! 5 hours is so crazy. Was it easy for you to spend so much time revising?

I actually don't think there are enough hours in the week haha. I'm only just starting 6th form so don't know, just passing on what we were told.
I actually don't think there are enough hours in the week haha. I'm only just starting 6th form so don't know, just passing on what we were told.

we better say good bye to our social lives haha
I think though, basically just spend as mucb time as you need to make sure you understand everything you've covered in class so far and keep going over stuff you did a few week's back so you'll still remember it and won't have to cram and relearn it all when it comes to mocks/june exams. Make sure you do pp questions too though becauee sometimes you'll think you understand something but might not be able to do the questions correctly.
It differs but most institutions recommend 4-5 hours per subject per week, not including homework. This can still include independent study during study periods.

No I did not revise this length of time at all
I think though, basically just spend as mucb time as you need to make sure you understand everything you've covered in class so far and keep going over stuff you did a few week's back so you'll still remember it and won't have to cram and relearn it all when it comes to mocks/june exams. Make sure you do pp questions too though becauee sometimes you'll think you understand something but might not be able to do the questions correctly.

Yeah that's exactly what happened to me in my biology exam i knew the content but i did not know how to answer the question properly. Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest