C-English Language
C-English Literature
Merit- Btec level 2 business
A* - Arabic

I want to do accounting at university so i was considering doing
Maths A Level
Further Mathematics A Level
Statistics A LevelReligious Studies A Level

Since I got C's in both Englishes I might not be able to study Business Studies at A level so are these a good choice or not?
I can't do sciences either because I need a Grade B minimum in English.
Thanks
Reply 1
I'm assuming maths (which you've got) is the most important subject but check out course requirements just in case. Have a look at some unis you would consider and degrees. Make sure you look at relevant degrees so you can see if there are any other requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by ayyublm3alem
Basically for my GCSEs I got
A- Maths
B- Science
B-Additional science
B-Religious studies
C-English Language
C-English Literature
A* - Arabic

Maths A Level

Since I got C's in both Englishes I might not be able to study Business Studies at A level so are these a good choice or not?
Thanks

Yeah that will be fine. But you don't have to do further maths if you don't want to. It's not needed to become an accountant.
Personally I wouldn't become an accountant, I want to go into the financial sector myself but accountancy is the most mundane job I could ever imagine. (Have you actually looked into what accountancy involves)? The only reason I could imagine someone wanting to become an accountant could be the money? If you want a job that purely revolves around money, look into IB, accountancy doesn't pay as well as you'd imagine. But if you truly want to become one, I'd suggest;
-Economics
-Business Studies
-Maths
-Further maths? If you feel you can cope, if not just go with something you'll enjoy and can guarantee yourself getting a high grade out of :smile:.
Original post by lw8
Personally I wouldn't become an accountant, I want to go into the financial sector myself but accountancy is the most mundane job I could ever imagine. (Have you actually looked into what accountancy involves)? The only reason I could imagine someone wanting to become an accountant could be the money? If you want a job that purely revolves around money, look into IB, accountancy doesn't pay as well as you'd imagine. But if you truly want to become one, I'd suggest;
-Economics
-Business Studies
-Maths
-Further maths? If you feel you can cope, if not just go with something you'll enjoy and can guarantee yourself getting a high grade out of :smile:.

Whats IB?
Reply 5
Original post by lw8
-Economics
-Business Studies
-Maths

You don't take both Economics and Business Studies for A-levels. That is highly looked down upon.... It's like taking IT and Computing.

Best subjects for you would be:

-Maths
-Economics
-Further Maths
-Statistics
IB would mean Investment Banking, but could also mean international baccalaureate - which is an alternative to A Levels.

The 'Big 4' have great school leavers programmes so going to university might not have to be an option to become an accountant as they can put you through the AAT and then the ACA.

I think mathematics is important, if you can do further then all the better to be comfortable with the numerical world. Economics is another definite, but more sixth forms and colleges are only offering business studies.

For the fourth, Government and Politics or Law would be brilliant.

KPMG offer a degree which is working as well as studying and then you are contracted to two years working for them after the programme.. which is this link..

https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/school-leavers/school-leaver-programme/birmingham-university
Reply 7
Whats IB?

Investment Banking
Original post by SabakuKyuu
You shouldn't mix Business Studies and Economics together :-D many people regret taking both of these at A-level, if they do. But doing one of them (especially Economics) would be very beneficial. If I were you, I'd take Maths, Further Maths OR Statistics, Economics and Religious Studies. I guess doing three mathsy subjects would be too much, as your subject choices would be too specific and narrow, and this isn't really a good thing. Unis and employers still like variety, that shows you're a person with wide knowledge and interests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took both and haven't regretted it at all. If you have narrow interests it's perfectly fine to go with the subjects you enjoy, don't change them because people get snobby about your choices, take what you want to do, taking business is probably one of the best subjects to take to lead you onto an economics degree.
Original post by Aklaol
You don't take both Economics and Business Studies for A-levels. That is highly looked down upon.... It's like taking IT and Computing.

Best subjects for you would be:

-Maths
-Economics
-Further Maths
-Statistics

Just gonna quote myself on this..
'I took both and haven't regretted it at all. If you have narrow interests it's perfectly fine to go with the subjects you enjoy, don't change them because people get snobby about your choices, take what you want to do, taking business is probably one of the best subjects to take to lead you onto an economics degree'

To add to this, why would someone do Statistics, Maths and Further maths, when they can simply do statistics modules in further maths? Doing stats aswell would be a waste of an A-level.
A much better choice would be to have a 4th option of Business, Politics or Philosophy.

Also, to the OP. Don't feel pressured into doing further maths, it is NOT NEEDED, and you should only attempt to do it if you are confident of coming out with an A/B, it is an extremely hard subject with a very high work load. I know people that have had to retake the year because they made the mistake of taking further maths.
Reply 10
Original post by lw8
Just gonna quote myself on this..
'I took both and haven't regretted it at all. If you have narrow interests it's perfectly fine to go with the subjects you enjoy, don't change them because people get snobby about your choices, take what you want to do, taking business is probably one of the best subjects to take to lead you onto an economics degree'

To add to this, why would someone do Statistics, Maths and Further maths, when they can simply do statistics modules in further maths? Doing stats aswell would be a waste of an A-level.
A much better choice would be to have a 4th option of Business, Politics or Philosophy.

Also, to the OP. Don't feel pressured into doing further maths, it is NOT NEEDED, and you should only attempt to do it if you are confident of coming out with an A/B, it is an extremely hard subject with a very high work load. I know people that have had to retake the year because they made the mistake of taking further maths.

There is no University in the country that would appreciate you taking both Business and Economics. You're better off taking Photography or Media rather than Business with Economics. It is very looked down upon like Computing and ICT, I suggest you go do your research.
Original post by Aklaol
There is no University in the country that would appreciate you taking both Business and Economics. You're better off taking Photography or Media rather than Business with Economics. It is very looked down upon like Computing and ICT, I suggest you go do your research.

'It is very looked down upon'
Does that mean someone shouldn't take the subjects they want? if you get the required grades i highly doubt unis will dismiss you because you have business and economics.
I'd rather get AA in business econ than AC in economics and history because i've been pressured into taking a subject that doesn't interest me.
Reply 12
Original post by post-grad-u-ate
IB would mean Investment Banking, but could also mean international baccalaureate - which is an alternative to A Levels.

The 'Big 4' have great school leavers programmes so going to university might not have to be an option to become an accountant as they can put you through the AAT and then the ACA.

I think mathematics is important, if you can do further then all the better to be comfortable with the numerical world. Economics is another definite, but more sixth forms and colleges are only offering business studies.

For the fourth, Government and Politics or Law would be brilliant.

KPMG offer a degree which is working as well as studying and then you are contracted to two years working for them after the programme.. which is this link..

https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/school-leavers/school-leaver-programme/birmingham-university

Yh I have noticed this when applying to sixth forms and colleges that they only offer business studies...why is that?
you can take maths a level, the other 3 can be literally anything you want
Original post by Aklaol

Also, there is very little overlap in business and economics, if you understood what they actually were you'd know. It's a common misconception.
Basically for my GCSEs I got
A- Maths
B- Science
B-Additional science
B-Religious studies
C-English Language
C-English Literature
A* - Arabic

Maths A Level

Thanks

I wanna become an accountant and im doing business studies BTEC level 2 as well how is it is it easy to do xXD Please help me have you got any of your coursework that you could post so i can see them or even an revision notes you upload on your book or even on the computer you could post on here. Dont you have to do accounting in A LEVELS ? Many Thanks XD

Quick Reply

Latest