The Student Room Group

"Flopped GCSE but came out with amazing A-levels" is this possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edilyne.p
I was wondering is it actually possible to achieve fantastic A-levels but only have average to below average GCSE's. If you have any examples please put them here as well. :smile:

Generally people get worse as they older. But I did the opposite. Got mediocre GCSEs, terrible A levels, then excelled at university.
Original post by Edilyne.p
I was wondering is it actually possible to achieve fantastic A-levels but only have average to below average GCSE's. If you have any examples please put them here as well. :smile:

Well that depends on the subjects you choose to take on, e.g. if you did average for say English Lit and take this on there is always a possibility of getting good grades as the way exams are assessed at A-level are different to that of GCSE which can sometimes work better for some than others.

If you totally dedicate yourself to the subjects you take and prepare yourself both in terms of content and examination prep then there is always that possibility.
Reply 22
Gcse: 5a,2b,c,e
as: 6a
a2: 3a*, 2a
Reply 23
Original post by mubmoh
Gcse: 5a,2b,c,e
as: 6a
a2: 3a*, 2a

Wow, what subjects?
Original post by goal101
How did you revise for maths ? :smile: because I'm resitting my gcse maths to achieve an A* I hope because I got a C before 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

loads and loads of past papers. Depends what exam board you're doing but most tend to recycle similar kinds of questions. Make sure you've covered everything on the spec. You can do it!!
Possible but at the end of the day its going to depends on whether or not you're going to put in the work
Reply 26
Original post by Rajive
Wow, what subjects?

All A* achieved in maths (maths, fmaths, f add maths)
A grades in chem and physics (chem 1 mark from A* :frown:)
And A in as biology
Original post by elisha22
loads and loads of past papers. Depends what exam board you're doing but most tend to recycle similar kinds of questions. Make sure you've covered everything on the spec. You can do it!!

I'm doing AQA maths linear 4365
And thankyou so much I'll do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blackstarr
How did you go up from a D at GCSE to an A at As?

Apologies for delayed response, laptop troubles.

I worked a lot, LOT HARDER at AS than I did at GCSE - I went out of my way to learn grammar I didn't even need to know and made a strong effort to incorporate German into my everyday life.
Original post by JoeyTr
If your strengths are really focused in one area then getting better A-levels than your GCSE's is not uncommon. I got 4A*'s, 5A's, 6B's and 2C's at GCSE then got A*A*A* in maths, further maths and physics at A-level, (plus a B in chemistry fourth full A-level).

I actually got higher in A-level physics than GCSE physics too, an A* at A-level and an A at GCSE, so it can be done. That being said I worked way way harder at A-level, but I enjoyed it so it wasn't that bad at all.

Any tips for A level Physics and Further Maths. I am definitely taking it to the AS and am wondering about the A2
GCSE: 8b 2c (ex circumstances)
As: aaaab
A2 A*AA

Just work hard and be proud whatever you get
Original post by Inexorably

I worked a lot, LOT HARDER at AS than I did at GCSE - I went out of my way to learn grammar I didn't even need to know and made a strong effort to incorporate German into my everyday life.

So, does this mean you speak German fluently?
Yeah! Well kinda.. In my GCSE's I got 1A, 2B's 6C's and 2D's and for my AS level I got ABB:smile:
Reply 33
Original post by kagawa88
Any tips for A level Physics and Further Maths. I am definitely taking it to the AS and am wondering about the A2

For Further Maths use Khan Academy and consider buying a good graphical calculator. For physics, YouTube is the one, get as many perspectives on each concept as possible. For both, make sure you're in a position to do full past-papers on all papers you're taking as soon as possible. When you do mid-year mocks, by then, try and have covered everything and you're doing full past papers on everything by then.

Good luck!
Original post by Blackstarr
So, does this mean you speak German fluently?

Goodness no :tongue: It takes a lot more beyond A-Level to reach 'fluency'. If you achieved a high grade at the end of A2 you'd be a very advanced intermediate learner :smile:
Original post by mubmoh
All A* achieved in maths (maths, fmaths, f add maths)
A grades in chem and physics (chem 1 mark from A* :frown:)
And A in as biology

How did you revise ?
Goodness no :tongue: It takes a lot more beyond A-Level to reach 'fluency'. If you achieved a high grade at the end of A2 you'd be a very advanced intermediate learner :smile:

Cool.
It can happen. Trust me, people change... and their hidden talent becomes apparent.

Well done ! When did you start revising for AS + alevel ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Well done ! When did you start revising for AS + alevel ?

I think sometime around March lmaoo (except for Sociology A2 which was June..oops), I wish I'd started a bit earlier though. I'm doing A2 German & Philosophy this year and I've already started preparing for both of them and will start revising from September :smile:

And thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest