The Student Room Group

Is it that wrong to want to be a housewife?

Scroll to see replies

Why can't you do both? Why does it have to be one or the other? You can work and look after the home.
A housewife... :love:
Original post by Anonymous
The rich husband thread made me think. I am an 18 year old girl about to go to a good uni and I have good A Levels. I am doing a decent degree admittedly in a girly subject but will hopefully do well. I don't see why it's so bad I want to be a housewife long term? I want to have children and I want a husband who can support the family. Obviously I'd like it if I could do that but the reality is a woman isn't likely to get a job which pays enough to support a family as women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries - that was clear at school when the boys always took charge and made things happen. I don't understand why men criticise girls who want to marry rich men for family reasons, when women aren't generally able to get jobs which can support families. Women are generally better at supporting the home and men better in work, it's natural isn't it?

Don't generalize, sweetie. Just because you lack leadership qualities or "what it takes to earn big salaries" and are either not confident or skilled enough to get a good job, it doesn't mean that other women (the majority, if we're talking about civilised countries) aren't able to do so.

Other than that, it's perfectly okay to be a housewife. In fact, I think you'd be very well suited to this "career", if I can call it that way. But make sure that you have a plan B in case you ever find yourself with a kid on your arm and an ex-husband that doesn't want to pay you child benefit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nothing wrong with wanting to be a stay at home mum but your reasons are such a 50s stereotype of women aka ********

Posted from TSR Mobile
And the fact that the UK currently have a female PM kind of contradicts your 'naturally lack leadership qualities' crap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LillyB14
And the fact that the UK currently have a female PM kind of contradicts your 'naturally lack leadership qualities' crap

Posted from TSR Mobile

agreed, theresa may is a hawk and terrible tory but she has a real knack for that authority stuff
Original post by RDKGames
Think about it this way: is it wrong for me to be a househusband???

Wish I was one.
Original post by Desi_Scotsman
?

Answer the following:

1. Are you South Asian?
2. Are you from a minority?
3. Is your mum working or a housewife?
4. Whats your favourite colour?

Before you ask "what relevance does this have to your question"

My response would be "It is relevant in every way"

No, no, housewife, not got one
No, it's not wrong. I plan on marrying someone with a similar standard of career as myself, though.
Reply 29
its not bad at all, all women should be housewives and let men make the money
Lol at wanting to be a house wife in 2016

i mean each to their own but smh at any man that is willing to be with a woman like that.
I could never be a housewife, that's not the life for me. I want to work, earn my own money, provide for my children and not to be dependent on my husband. It's better for me to work anyway, to help pay the bills, have more money to put in savings and live comfortably.

I don't like the Mothers who severely coddle their children by having to be with them 24/7. What are you going to do when they go to primary school then secondary? How are you going to cope when they go to university and move out? How are you going to provide support to them, with your partners money? This is coming from a 21 year old female.

Men work full time and nothing's happened to the children, as long as they spend time with them on weekends etc it's fine. So why is it when mothers work it's automatically "OMG what about your children?" Like, the child doesn't have a father, women have all the guilt. Pisses me off.

Anyway all of that is beside the point, it is very hard to live in the UK on a one person income unless your partner is well off. I didn't go to university for 4 years and get into debt, just to become a housewife.

Sorry about the long rant, lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Look at the studies "sweetie" women aren't made to have top careers or jobs if they were why are all top jobs done by men, why is every invention ever by men? Everything we do or use is thanks to men from the Internet to phones to computers to medicine the list is endless, it's just nature.

I won't be stuck with child benefit lol I'll be happily married to a rich man bringing up his sons and heirs :tongue:

This is so wrong.
Your own pm is a woman, one of the most powerful people in europe( merkel) also happens to be a woman. A woman is running for president in america.
As for inventions if you googled it you'd see that there have been inventions made by women.
Oh they even helped make computers. So you should be thanking them as well.

I dont think wanting to be a housewife once you have kids is wrong but believeing all women are useless is completely ****ed up.
Reply 33
Look at the studies "sweetie" women aren't made to have top careers or jobs if they were why are all top jobs done by men, why is every invention ever by men? Everything we do or use is thanks to men from the Internet to phones to computers to medicine the list is endless, it's just nature.

I won't be stuck with child benefit lol I'll be happily married to a rich man bringing up his sons and heirs :tongue:

Wow....you certainly know how to put down an entire gender by judgemental comments. Just because you lack the qualities to be the breadwinner doesn't mean the rest of the female population does. Maybe women don't rule the world, but there are plenty of females in leadership roles who cope just fine. Do you somehow think women should stay at home because they're too emotional/fragile to cope with the pressures of the working world? Sounds to me like you are just looking for a reason to justify wanting to be a housewife.

Your plan sounds all well and good but what if your husband leaves you? You'll be a single parent who can't even hold down a job in a fast food restaurant because you have no employment history or skills. To me, you just sound work shy
Reply 34
There is nothing wrong with a man or woman wanting to be a housewife/husband, as long as the other is earning enough.

The only thing that's wrong is your *****y attitude towards women.

I seriously hope you dont get daughters. But then again with that kind of mentality you're better off with no children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

What studies? Please link them.

Also I can't believe no one's called you out on your horribly sexist comments- everything we do and use is not thanks to men :/
Never heard of Ada Lovelace, Rosalind Franklin, Marie Curie?? There are countless more who I can't remember atm
As pointed out by others, many many women are in top jobs, our PM included. If that's not good enough for you, the current CEO of Pepsi is also a woman!

And only bringing up sons and heirs? What's wrong wth you? :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)

I literally want to blow my brains out. Women weren't allowed to vote, be MPs or doctors etc for a long time. In the same way black people weren't allowed to. So essentially you're saying the white man is superior in nature and should continue to obtain the top positions in society, not which they got through superior skill but oppression and discrimination.
Maybe its a good idea you live under a your 'future rich husbands' thumb because clearly you know nothing about the world. Better yet, undo all the work the suffragettes did and lets campaign for our husbands and fathers to vote on our behalves.
SO DONE 🔫🔫🔫

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhaenys10
I believe the OP has deleted one of her comments, but I'll say this anyway.

Stop thinking you're going to have a rich husband from the very start. Believe it or not, rich men are not that stupid - in fact, no one who's rich is stupid - this is just an image they're selling. Paris Hilton is not stupid, and neither is Kim K. They're both women, they were both born rich, but the fact that they're still amassing wealth is proof that they've got brains.

Now back to rich men. Unless they want a trophy wife that they can divorce when they get bored of her, they're looking for women with a status that's similar to theirs. And btw, have you heard of pre-nups? They may blow your chances at a luxurious life after a divorce.

Now about the history of women as figures of power. It's because of people like you that men have been leaders for so long, but nonetheless, some women have actually managed to stand out, Ada Lovelace and Marie Curie being just one example. However, they are by no means the only ones who wrote history, as a great number of women have exerted their power in a more veiled way.

That is, through one's femininity, through one's charms. Women have been pulling the strings behind the curtains of history ever since time immemorial. To make you understand the situation better, I'll give you an easy example. Think of Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones. She's just a character, but oh my!, there have been so many like her throughout the years.

You don't have to be the Iron Lady to change the world. Heck, you don't even have to be Theresa May. Most of the time, power is not wielded by the leaders anyway, but things have changed, and in this day and age, a lot of big companies have got female CEOs. A lot of countries are led by women.

Personally, I think women do possess leadership qualities, and maternal instinct must definitely have something to do with it. Like I said before, though, not every woman has got what it takes for this.

P.S.: What one earth has made you believe that you need to be the CEO of a company to have enough money to support a family?

Are you sure that was directed towards me? Cause I agree with you.
Original post by venetiaan
Are you sure that was directed towards me? Cause I agree with you.

It's not.. I just saw that you've quoted the OP and I think that she's deleted that comment.
The rich husband thread made me think. I am an 18 year old girl about to go to a good uni and I have good A Levels. I am doing a decent degree admittedly in a girly subject but will hopefully do well. I don't see why it's so bad I want to be a housewife long term? I want to have children and I want a husband who can support the family. Obviously I'd like it if I could do that but the reality is a woman isn't likely to get a job which pays enough to support a family as women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries - that was clear at school when the boys always took charge and made things happen. I don't understand why men criticise girls who want to marry rich men for family reasons, when women aren't generally able to get jobs which can support families. Women are generally better at supporting the home and men better in work, it's natural isn't it?

I believe the OP has deleted one of her comments, but I'll say this anyway.

Stop thinking you're going to have a rich husband from the very start. Believe it or not, rich men are not that stupid - in fact, no one who's rich is stupid - this is just an image they're selling. Paris Hilton is not stupid, and neither is Kim K. They're both women, they were both born rich, but the fact that they're still amassing wealth is proof that they've got brains.

Now back to rich men. Unless they want a trophy wife that they can divorce when they get bored of her, they're looking for women with a status that's similar to theirs. And btw, have you heard of pre-nups? They may blow your chances at a luxurious life after a divorce.

Now about the history of women as figures of power. It's because of people like you that men have been leaders for so long, but nonetheless, some women have actually managed to stand out, Ada Lovelace and Marie Curie being just one example. However, they are by no means the only ones who wrote history, as a great number of women have exerted their power in a more veiled way.

That is, through one's femininity, through one's charms. Women have been pulling the strings behind the curtains of history ever since time immemorial. To make you understand the situation better, I'll give you an easy example. Think of Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones. She's just a character, but oh my!, there have been so many like her throughout the years.

You don't have to be the Iron Lady to change the world. Heck, you don't even have to be Theresa May. Most of the time, power is not wielded by the leaders anyway, but things have changed, and in this day and age, a lot of big companies have got female CEOs. A lot of countries are led by women.

Personally, I think women do possess leadership qualities, and maternal instinct must definitely have something to do with it. Like I said before, though, not every woman has got what it takes for this.

P.S.: What one earth has made you believe that you need to be the CEO of a company to have enough money to support a family?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending