The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TercioOfParma
More per capita than in america : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50598236Data is difficult to find on the second one. The USA it is roughly 28% (http://www.crimeinamerica.net/2010/09/30/28-percent-of-burglaries-involve-people-at-home-good-doors-windows-prevent-violent-crime/) , but I cannot find anything on the UK.Well, I wish there was a party that did so I could vote for them.I don't care about a potential assailant's life, If they came at me I would use what I had to defend myself. Safety isn't really much of an issue for me, if more burglars get shot then I would say it's a good thing as it lets others know they cannot simply rob anymore.Exactly, one psychotic nutjob. ONE OUT OF HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. I wouldn't restrict the freedoms of the many when a few ruin it, especially when we could use the taxes off of new gun sales to pay for better mental health screening.
A small number of gun owners do something ban = ban guns.A small number of Muslims do something bad = allow more Muslims to immigrate.
Original post by The_Opinion
A small number of gun owners do something ban = ban guns.A small number of Muslims do something bad = allow more Muslims to immigrate.

Its an entirely different, incomparable situation.
Definitely YES
Although I'm personally fine with handguns (and open/concealed carry), I don't see the laws in the UK changing.

People should be able to acquire handguns much like they can acquire shotguns and rifles: under a certificate system where responsible people may purchase them.

Nevertheless, a shotgun can work just fine for home defense. These are relatively easy to acquire in the UK. All you need for a certificate is a gun cabinet and a clean criminal record (and no serious mental health issues). You don't even need to be part of a rifle club or anything like that.
The less guns the better.

99.9% of the time there is no reason for anybody in the UK to have a gun.
Original post by Dandaman1
Although I'm personally fine with handguns (and open/concealed carry), I don't see the laws in the UK changing.

People should be able to acquire handguns much like they can acquire shotguns and rifles: under a certificate system where responsible people may purchase them.

Nevertheless, a shotgun can work just fine for home defense. These are relatively easy to acquire in the UK. All you need for a certificate is a gun cabinet and a clean criminal record (and no serious mental health issues). You don't even need to be part of a rifle club or anything like that.

When i say nobody, i mean nobody needs a gun for home defence.
Original post by Hachik0
When i say nobody, i mean nobody needs a gun for home defence.

People say this until they experience a home invasion by armed robbers.

I did part of my undergraduate degree in the UK (University of Birmingham). I vividly remember a series of incidents involving people's homes being invaded by men with machetes (only a few doors down from my house in one case). You can't exactly defend your family, your self, or your property with a kitchen knife in that situation.

Scumbags like those men know that their victims are going to be defenseless 99% of the time.
Original post by Dandaman1
People say this until they experience a home invasion by armed robbers.

I did part of my undergraduate degree in the UK (University of Birmingham). I vividly remember a series of incidents involving people's homes being invaded by men with machetes (only a few doors down from my house in one case). You can't exactly defend your family, your self, or your property with a kitchen knife in that situation.

Scumbags like those men know that their victims are going to be defenseless 99% of the time.

But that's one of the arguments that pro gun campaigners use in the US. Surely it's best to upgrade the security to deter such people? Just because you're at risk from burglary doesn't make owning a gun acceptable.
Original post by Hachik0
But that's one of the arguments that pro gun campaigners use in the US. Surely it's best to upgrade the security to deter such people? Just because you're at risk from burglary doesn't make owning a gun acceptable.

Strong locks or even bars on your windows are a good first line of defense, but people can still get in. And they do.

A firearm (safely stored) gives you a better means of defending your home and your family should the worst happen.
Yes. They should be legalised and licensed the same way as shotguns and rifles currently are.
Original post by JRKinder
Handguns are arguably more dangerous due to the fact they can be concealed, so no I don't think they should be legalised (however I don't think someone who owns something like an old WW2 pistol, like a family heirloom or something, should be punished). I think the sale of guns should be illegal, but anyone who does possess one currently for a reason like I mentioned above should be able to apply for a license to keep it or be allowed to hand it in without criminal charges.

So you want the sale of all guns to be banned except for trophies and antiques? What about people who use shotguns or rifles for shooting (and need to buy them from somewhere)?
Original post by RF_PineMarten
So you want the sale of all guns to be banned except for trophies and antiques? What about people who use shotguns or rifles for shooting (and need to buy them from somewhere)?
No I don't think you should be able to sell any gun, I meant it would be fair to allow a family to apply for a license to keep their grandad's old WW2 pistol, for example. It wouldn't be legal to sell it even if their license is successful, just to keep. Regarding antiques, if it's fully functional then they should be banned, but say if it's broken beyond repair then I see no issue with selling it as an item of historical interest (say to have on a plaque on the wall). This would obviously need regulating though.

And for people who do shooting as a sport then I see no issue with the current system of obtaining a shotgun license.
ITT flawed arguments by saddos who need a gun to feel like a man, or just flat out paranoid.

The facts speak for themselves, the UK is better off with strict gun laws, if you don't like it go somewhere with guns galore, like say Syria, or America.
Original post by JRKinder
No I don't think you should be able to sell any gun, I meant it would be fair to allow a family to apply for a license to keep their grandad's old WW2 pistol, for example. It wouldn't be legal to sell it even if their license is successful, just to keep. Regarding antiques, if it's fully functional then they should be banned, but say if it's broken beyond repair then I see no issue with selling it as an item of historical interest (say to have on a plaque on the wall). This would obviously need regulating though.

And for people who do shooting as a sport then I see no issue with the current system of obtaining a shotgun license.

Then where are they supposed to get their gun from if they get a gun license?

Original post by Studentus-anonymous
ITT flawed arguments by saddos who need a gun to feel like a man, or just flat out paranoid.

The facts speak for themselves, the UK is better off with strict gun laws, if you don't like it go somewhere with guns galore, like say Syria, or America.

Prior to the handgun ban, handguns were legal as part of a licensing scheme, similar to how guns are licensed today.

Reversing that ban and having handguns under a licensing scheme really isn't an unreasonable demand at all, and the sensationalist shrieking about America that always seems to happen whenever anyone raises the idea of maybe changing the law really isn't helpful.
Don't wanna end up like Murica. If we were to legalise handguns, there should be thorough security and mental health requirements, as well as training.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Then where are they supposed to get their gun from if they get a gun license?

Prior to the handgun ban, handguns were legal as part of a licensing scheme, similar to how guns are licensed today.

Reversing that ban and having handguns under a licensing scheme really isn't an unreasonable demand at all, and the sensationalist shrieking about America that always seems to happen whenever anyone raises the idea of maybe changing the law really isn't helpful.
You misunderstand me. What I mean is, modern handguns flat-out shouldn't be available for sale to the general public, whilst things such as sports shotguns would be available for sale to license holders (like it is now).
Original post by TercioOfParma
Mate, If I go to the right part of my local town at the right time of day (1 - 4 am), I can get an ak and ammunition for it for about £700. Criminals will have guns anyway. Legal gun purchases won't make all that much difference to premeditated crime.

As for spur of the moment, I think it is worth it. We simply don't have the american gun and gang culture in the UK, so there will be very low bodycounts.

We have some of the strictest gun control laws and one of the lowest homicide by firearm rates in the world. There's really nothing to suggest that illegal gun ownership is a problem in the UK, even if it is they're clearly either not being used very often or British people are terrible at shooting.

It makes me laugh when people make out they could get a gun at the drop of a hat, it sounds like they've watched Ross Kemp on Gangs and they're regurgitating what people have said on there. If you wander the streets at night in the worst areas of the U.K. getting hold of a gun would still be incredibly difficult if not impossible
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
I hope so, could really do with having a few guns in my house
Original post by Underscore__
We have some of the strictest gun control laws and one of the lowest homicide by firearm rates in the world. There's really nothing to suggest that illegal gun ownership is a problem in the UK, even if it is they're clearly either not being used very often or British people are terrible at shooting.

It makes me laugh when people make out they could get a gun at the drop of a hat, it sounds like they've watched Ross Kemp on Gangs and they're regurgitating what people have said on there. If you wander the streets at night in the worst areas of the U.K. getting hold of a gun would still be incredibly difficult if not impossible

Well, you can if you look.
Original post by zainyyyyy
guns go to the wrong people then what happens then? you can just say sorry no more guns because the people who are honest will give it back whereas the criminals will keep them which will cause even more problems. Better to have no security then arm the criminals

Firstly I feel all military personnel should be able to carry a firearm. I know now with all the recent issues, I am extremely cautious when travelling around the country.

Secondly criminals already have ease of access to firearms off the black market which in the majority of cases have been altered and modified in a way which makes them even more dangerous then standard firearms.

Latest

Trending

Trending